The New Coc Grippers

Rick Walker

After all the talk of the new look of the grippers, I couldnt take it anymore and ordered the #T-#3 in the new look.

Excited to see what they look like and how they feel compared to my 03' set.

I also picked up a HG400 and a HG500 from a fellow member. As soon as I get all of these in, I will report back.

-Rick

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Blarg

• Bill Piche

• Rick Walker

Looking forward to your report!!

Once again the grippers change. More diversity in the same product. Different levels of strength on the "same" gripper, etc.....

"Calling all lemmings! Spend another 20-100 bucks for a completly different version of a gripper that should be similar to the 1, 2, 3, and 4's you already have!"

To all people who collect grippers seriously ignore this post. For those who buy grippers to get stronger take note.

-HH

After all the talk of the new look of the grippers, I couldnt take it anymore and ordered the #T-#3 in the new look.

Excited to see what they look like and how they feel compared to my 03' set.

I also picked up a HG400 and a HG500 from a fellow member.  As soon as I get all of these in, I will report back.

-Rick

he rick did you talk to someone to order the newer grippers or are they all the new shiney springs i dont want to order one and have it arrive being like the ones i have thanks dan

How exactly are the new grippers different? I just started gripping last week, so I guess all mine are the "new" kind -- I just don't know what that means. :)

Dr. Strossen told me in an email that all the new grippers are supposed to have the new shiney springs, opposed to the old black ones. The Sport through #3 set I ordered earlier this year was all silver.

^^ Thats the difference, Blarg. The new ones have the shiny chrome springs.

Dr. Strossen told me in an email that all the new grippers are supposed to have the new shiney springs, opposed to the old black ones.  The Sport through #3 set I ordered earlier this year was all silver.

Hmm, the shiney part threw me, because none of my new five are shiney. They are many, many shades darker than the shiny aluminum handles and look quite dark in comparison, almost as if they were weathered outside or tarnished by finger oils, like what happens with a penny after a while. It would never occur to me to call any of these shiny, and I don't think anyone else could either. I guess it's a comparison thing with the super-dark ones(?) of old.

^^ Thats the difference, Blarg.  The new ones have the shiny chrome springs.

Maybe all of mine are from old stock. They certainly don't look shiny to me, especially like the super-bright shine you see with chrome.

To all people who collect grippers seriously ignore this post.  For those who buy grippers to get stronger take note.

-HH

What if we do both? ;)

The new ones aren't all that chrome looking. They are more like a shiny grey than chrome. They are definetly not like the chromed Robert Baraban grippers so anyone expecting that level of shine is going to be dissapointed. All in all they seem to feel a little harder.

To all people who collect grippers seriously ignore this post.  For those who buy grippers to get stronger take note.

-HH

What if we do both? ;)

The new ones aren't all that chrome looking. They are more like a shiny grey than chrome. They are definetly not like the chromed Robert Baraban grippers so anyone expecting that level of shine is going to be dissapointed. All in all they seem to feel a little harder.

Yeah, that's how mine look. A medium gray, maybe darker.

Great marketing idea by IM IMO.

that's funny. well, i have 2005 im#3 and it's a shinny wannabe chrome, but it looks nice, though.

I was due anyway fellas. I dont have any grippers right now except a BB Grand master. The set of COCs that I have access to are my boys, and he will have them at school with him come fall. I was in need of a new set anyway.

It is a good marketing idea to those who give a damn and know the difference. To the new guy checking out IM for the first time, he has no idea.

-Rick

I was due anyway fellas.  I dont have any grippers right now except a BB Grand master.  The set of COCs that I have access to are my boys, and he will have them at school with him come fall.  I was in need of a new set anyway.

It is a good marketing idea to those who give a damn and know the difference.  To the new guy checking out IM for the first time, he has no idea.

-Rick

i guess im the new guy cuz i ordered my set and they all have shiny springs, didnt know they came black before haha

Id say it looks like chrome

Springs

They appear to look like polished steel? if so, they can be affected by oxidation.

If it is chrome, they'll have a high potential to "blow up" down the road.

Why would IM go back to a material they said previously was inferior and therefore they changed it to make the grippers better? That does not make sense.

Id say it looks like chrome

Springs

They appear to look like polished steel? if so, they can be affected by oxidation.

If it is chrome, they'll have a high potential to "blow up" down the road.

Why would IM go back to a material they said previously was inferior and therefore they changed it to make the grippers better? That does not make sense.

Correct, makes no sense. I just compared a few recently received grippers

from Baraban and they are polished steel. They have the same appearance

as the posted IM in the above post. I have chromed ones as well and there is

no comparison.

:whistel lets go back to one of my old posts they can make different color springs to sell more ? but they cant make a 1.5 a 2.5 a 3.5 or a 4.5 :yikes

My #2 and #3 with the new springs just completely rusted a few days after opening them. They now have orange/brown springs.

They rusted? In normal indoor weather and humididty? That's not right.

My #2 and #3 with the new springs just completely rusted a few days after opening them. They now have orange/brown springs.

They rusted? In normal indoor weather and humididty? That's not right.

remember no matter how bad they rust if they stop making them right now ? you have a collectors piece everyone will want :upsidedwn

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS