Bending World Records?

reubi

Hi all,

the world's best benders read this board, so it seems natural to ask about world records in unbraced bending. I am most intersted in the following three "types" of bends, but I'm glad to read about any world class bend.

As this is an unofficial request, the word of the athlete is enough, no need for a video proof or such...

What are the best (unbraced, short steel) bends in:

1) "Bending anyhow", use padding as you like, use as much time (one minute or some days, if necessary) as you like.

2) "Bending reasonable fast" use padding as you like, don't take more than, say, 2 minutes.

3) "Bending with Ironmind rules" use the Ironmind pads, complete the bend in one minute.

I am aware of the fact that it is impossible to compare for example long thick steel with short thinner steel. And, of course, steel varies, as grippers do. However, I would be happy if we can collect some world class bending feats.

Greetings

Gerrit

The guys who have bent the biggest steel won't tell what they've bent, so there is no way to tell for sure.

I will tell my best it is and everybody needs to remember he said this

(As this is an unofficial request, the word of the athlete is enough, no need for a video proof or such)

so dont worry. My best bends so far is a 5inch cut red and a grade5 7.5inchx5/16 bolt that took 3.5hours to bend.

Edited by patrick

I know I have no world class bends to talk about, but along Clays comment and not knowing what exactly has been done...

I have seen Grade 8 7" x 5/16 bolts mentioned before, although it was only in a passing comment that didnt seem to imply that it had been done, only that it was the next step. Do you think?

On the same note, I read text that said either a 4 or 4.5" red had been bent, but again, I state no names nor have any evidence of such a feat so this is not a claim, only thoughts of things I have read in passing that have to do with world class bends. Personally, I could see a how a red that short could be bent. I hope talking about these things doesnt cause a negative stir in any way in terms of locked threads and alike. If anything, its food for thought.

Edited by Anuwbius

The guys who have bent the biggest steel won't tell what they've bent, so there is no way to tell for sure.

I agree with Clay.... Talking about what you have done usually only causes problems. I will say that I consider the following peak bends for the top people. The following I believe are possible although may or may not have been done yet. I am considering these possible to be done by the gripboard rules.

- 4" Red

- Grade 5 5/16 6"

- Grade 8 5/16 7"

I will say this too, people are getting hurt attempting these things. I have personally been beat into the ground by a bar and have spent 5 months trying to recover from it. There is soft tissue damage occurring, blackouts, injuries, vision problems at thes type of bends. The people who try these and succeed will likely not say that they did.

I personally am way off right now, I have lost a ton of strength due to shoulder injury. I hope to recover enough to either pass out, get hurt or conquer something on the list above or better by next year.

Greg Amidon

Along the lines of Gamidon's post:

I myself once tried a grade 5 6"X5/16", this is before I quite bending to focus on strongman and such. Anyway I warmed up that day and had done several red nails to make sure I was good and warmed up for the attempt as I did not really know what to expect. I wrapped up the bolt, got my head right, and tore into that bolt with everything I had on that particular day. I did not feel any give what so ever on my first initial thrust which usually did not ever happen so I knew I was in trouble. I brought the bolt back up into position and gave it everything I had again trying to push myself even harder that the first kink attempt, it was at this point that a very, very loud cracking sound came from my right wrist. I just stood there for a minute and then I threw the bolt down and decided not to continue. The crack was so loud in fact that I could hear it over top of the heavy metal music I had blasting at the top of my cd players ability into my head. Curious as to the effect this had on the bolt I unwrapped it and took a look to find that it had the ever so smallest visible kink and if you rolled it across a flat surface it definitely had a little wobble to it. The moral of this story is that Greg is right, people are getting hurt attempting this stuff. While my wrist injury turned out to be only about a week long soreness that I did not feel was worth mentioning at the time I just wanted to share that little experience I had as I thought it would fit in this thread and my be entertaining to read. I did have a witness that saw this occur and it was none other than my old training partner Mr. Brett Jones. It was funny when my wrist popped in a way because the look on his face priceless. I was using my usual style of Double Underhand with just two terry clot hand towels for wrapping material in case anyone is wondering. Anyway that is the end of my story, later guys.

I agree with Clay.... Talking about what you have done usually only causes problems. I will say that I consider the following peak bends for the top people. The following I believe are possible although may or may not have been done yet. I am considering these possible to be done by the gripboard rules.

- 4" Red

- Grade 5 5/16 6"

- Grade 8 5/16 7"

I will say this too, people are getting hurt attempting these things. I have personally been beat into the ground by a bar and have spent 5 months trying to recover from it. There is soft tissue damage occurring, blackouts, injuries, vision problems at thes type of bends. The people who try these and succeed will likely not say that they did.

I personally am way off right now, I have lost a ton of strength due to shoulder injury. I hope to recover enough to either pass out, get hurt or conquer something on the list above or better by next year.

Greg Amidon

Glad to know I'm not alone with those symptoms, I often feel like I'm gonna pass out after a super hard Kink, usually stumble a few times too, looks like a drunk man tryin' to open a beer.

Once again, I am in awe at how such violent power can be so humble! I find humility in elite strength to be far more superior than any lift or record :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

....you know who u are. :rock

I apologize for going off the topic :sleep

peace,

burner

Edited by burner

The more I read about these extreme bends and their effects, the sicker I find this little hobby of mine. :yikes Luckily I'm still far away from that kind of strength.

Rolle

- 4" Red

- Grade 5 5/16 6"

- Grade 8 5/16 7

Only in my dreams can I imagine those bends. :bow:bow:bow:bow To all the people who are at that level. Very impressing and humbling. You guys are awsome. :rock:rock

Edited by patrick

FBBC 5/16 stock at 5" is pretty crazy. And it's been done 3 times.

• 4 weeks later...

i can bend 2'' reds :D

in 0 seconds i might add

and an infinite amount in a row

no padding at all either

Edited by porky

Glad to know I'm not alone with those symptoms, I often feel like I'm gonna pass out after a super hard Kink, usually stumble a few times too, looks like a drunk man tryin' to open a beer.

Often the lights would go out on me on max effort bends, the key for me is breathing more. Bending is a lot more fun now, I just have to remember to breathe often.

to Red benders and beyond....

props to you. you guys are never afraid to bleed, and these accounts show the ultimate determination and passion that you have toward your goals.

much respect (and envy) on my part.

nick

(my only accounts consist of nose bleeds and near pass outs-falling to the floor-while gripping.....bending is a whole new realm though....just impressive)