Pinch & Gripper Training

porkchop

Is it better to train grippers and pinch in the same workout, or on different days?

pc

Is it better to train grippers and pinch in the same workout, or on different days?

pc

Check my log. I don't and have even found that it has an effect the day after and yet Frankyboy does.

I would say that there is no solid answer to the question. It really depends on your goal and how you choose to get there. Specialization is of utmost importance to some while others can get by with a few basic exercises and still get to their goals.

Personally I feel that heavy pinching takes quite a toll on gripper/crushin strength. Compared to grippers, which take away from my pinch some but not near the same degree as reversed, I will sometimes do a little bit of gripper stuff before a pinch workout. But in general, since pinching uses more of the hand and seems to really build the raw strength for me I like to have a full tank for a blob or pinch workout. I dont know if thats really an answer, but I would say its all depends on you and your body, and that trial and error will be the best way to find whats best.

I agree with Anuwbius about the order of exercise.

I have found that if you want to do them both in the same workout, do grippers before pinch. Whenever I do grippers before blockweights, I can still lift the same blockweights as normal. But trying to close tough grippers is impossible after using blockweights, at least for me.

I just started doing pinching on my "off" gripper days. Seeing as though I just started it, I don't really have any results to compare them to. So far, doing this hasn't seemed to affect my gripping progress or visa versa.

Any thoughts or recommendations on that gentlemen?

pc

If your hands can take it, give it to em. Just make sure there a session of rest once in awhile.

Edited by Anuwbius

IF you train pinch and grippers in the same work out. I would do your grippers first then pinch. In my experience If I do pinch first I got nothing left for grippers . It is almost like my hands get stupid and forget that gripper motion after a good pinch workout. That is just me tho.

for sure its all about trial and error. Took me about a month of frustration till i found out MY best way to train bothe.

i would do grippers 3 on 1 off. On day 3 the day before i would take my off day i would train pinch as well. Then the next day was rest and i would come back fresh for grippers again.

i train grippers and pinch on the same workout. i do grippers first, though, since it doesn't hinder my pinch. i guess it goes by preference, if u want to do them on the same workout. also, conditioning level is a factor as well.

Looks like a good response. Either leave a day of rest in between like 2 responders are (myself and Dannyboy) or train grippers first and then pinch on the same day. Nice.

The only possible outs might be that of those that answered how many compete? Or if they did the days rest would they do better on either event?

i don't compete. i just like grippers and pinching, that's the main reason why i do them the same day.

If you're hitting grippers and pinch both really hard with equal focus, I'd recommend separate workouts.

My current goal is pinch with maintenance on grippers. I work up to 3 max-effort singles on grippers before my pinch assault (an attempt, negative, and overcrush). This leaves plenty in the tank for a max pinch workout, and in fact seems to be a good warm-up, so it's working.

Like others have said, I can't seem to do anything productive with grippers after a hard pinch workout. But many people seem to have their best pinch attempts after quite a lengthy warmup, without negative effects.

I don't compete, but I'm guessing (?) that in most grip comps you have to do many different things in the same day, though perhaps not all at once. I've had success training twice daily rotating 3 (short) workouts: crush, pinch, wrist, crush... though I think the best bet for an advanced trainee who has hit a roadblock is to specialize on one thing at a time.

That sounds great. I like the 3rd day work both and then have an off day. That would also fit into my schedule nicely. I'll give that a try.

Tonight, I worked grip first then pinch after and had a good workout for each, so that seems to be working okay right now. Thanks for the help!

pc