Got Mastery of Hand Strength

Guest Matt Brennecke

Guest Matt Brennecke

My hands are fried, but I'm happy.  Read the book cover to cover, and went out to the garage for some fun. I did pinch grip passing hand to hand,thick bar deads, coc, plate curls, and wrist roller.  My thumbs cramp up today doing anything repetitive.  Great book.  Very inspiring.

Matt.... did ya read the part about overtraining?   :p  :p  :p

Maybe too inspiring!  :) Only work 2 or 3 things at a time & the rest will catch up because of that crossover effect sort of thing.  :D

Guest Matt Brennecke

I know, I know. I just had fun playing. I probably overdid it for one workout, I'll be careful next time.Buying an 8# sledge today.  I'm addicted.

• 3 months later...

Another satisfied customer!!!  :p  :p

Guest baldy
Overtraining doesn't apply to grip training.

Not to get too far off topic, but overtraining doesn't apply to a lot of things. The same way you can train your hands moderately hard every day, some people train other movements daily / almost daily. Some train compound movements *multiple times* daily with great results.

Any doubters need to look at the training programs of high level Olympic lifters.

Overtraining is overtraining; it is not undertraining.

But, the hands, and perhaps the forearms,almost

demand their separate definition of overtraining as

we usually use the term.

However, if we 'overtrain' the other bodyparts in the

same manner that the hands can be 'overtrained'-

which in fact is not overtraining, but limit-training,

then the matter becomes self-defining.

It's just that the hands require a higher level of heavy

training, but many have been undertraining hands

because they have been applying the same thoughts

toward the hands as have been traditionally employed

for the other body parts.

Make sense?

You can overtrain the hands.  It is easily done by doing A LOT of work within a range you can control.  For instance, if I have a gripper that I can close with both and legs, then let go and it shoots open to 1-2", but I'm working for a gripper that I can close to 1/4" or less, I'm not working a range I need or can control.  I could do 200 negs a week with this big gripper and not be fried.  However, I could start doing 200 negs a week with something I can close and hold 3/4" or under and I'm whipped.  Why do you think strapholds will burn you out so quick, they are in a needed range with super high intensity if done properly.  I belive in daily training, right now it's the best form for me and many others, but as with other things knowing when and where to back off or rest is still a huge factor.  Just my 2 pennies........................

Of course you can overtrain them.

However, my point was the volume/frequency that can be tolerated is probably much higher than what the "norm" is with other parts.  

A friend of mine and I were discussing this (he's a very smart guy in the research type areas of everything) and he mentioned it may be due to the complexity of allowable movements that the hands can perform. Thus, you have to more frequently train a particular motion for the nervous system to be at it's peak. That is, of course, the crush with the grippers.

Heath also hit a a key point. Being able to manipulate the alarm response. It's very difficult. However, because of the frequency I personally have used it's becoming easier to predict when I will be "on".

I believe that you overtrain a lot easier if you are training the muscles rather than the tendons.  The hands are mostly tendon, and therefore (I believe) that you can train them more without overtraining.

Matt

I train grip every day, but I hit the different aspects of it. For example, one day I'll work crushing grip, the next day I'll work supporting grip, the next day pinch grip, and so on. This has worked very well for me as I have been making great progress in all of the areas. I believe that if it works, just do it, regardless of what other people say or write. Also, every time I read MOHS, I learn something new. What a great book!

Guest baldy

In any event it sounds like Bill's test cases are able to sustain daily crush training without ill effect. This should come as no surprise, since some Olympic lifters train ultra heavy twice daily for long periods of time. There is such a thing as overtraining but the body has a way of adapting to strain, and sometimes people are too quick to assume that they (or worse, that others) are overtraining.

Heath has recommended at least light daily training to keep "in the groove" with grippers for a long time now, so this daily gripper training isn't a radical new concept here.

As for other well-known sources, Pavel and Justa come immediately to mind to name just 2.

For you guys who train everyday, what kind of effort are you putting into your daily training? I mean are you talking about giving 100% and ending the session with 2 numb nubs at the end of your wrists? Or are you scaling back your intensity and perhaps going to 60% or so?

I ask because when I try to train daily at 100% I get burned out fast. So was wondering if that type of training was not for me or perhaps I was just working it to hard. I saw that somebody mentioned greasing the groove and doing light effort. Any attempt to quantify that?

When I do intense daily training, I go 100%. The thing that allows you to do this is you go 100% for 15-20 mins, that's it.  My whole workout is done is 20mins.  Where my 1 time per week workout is 100%, but it takes 1.5hrs or so with speed work the rest of the time.

Guest Jeff Roark

I also want to make a point here that gains can also be made with limited training, 1-2 times per week. I with my medical condition can't handle anymore than this or I get tons of numbness. For me I have to work as hard as I can in short period of time. I do grippers one time per week(strapholds), the other day is pinch grip. On the other hand I wish I could train my grip every day without harmful effects.