Backyard Bastard Bash

John Beatty

Gentlemen-

I discussed it with my wife last night (she couldn't really say no as the women in her family[mom, sister, sister in law] are taking a three day to Vegas in Sept) and the official ok is in. there will be a Grip contest in Pesotum, IL in Oct. at my training hall. Pesotum is 2.5 hours south of Chicago, 2 hrs west of Indianapolis, 2.5 hours east of St Louis. Any of these airports are good, but I'd recommend Indy, as it's the easiest drive. Also, you can come directly to Willard airport in Savoy & you're 10 minutes from my house & 5 min from Champaign (where all the hotels & food are). I'll transport those that come in to Willard.

Events -

Bending- FBBC stock & rules

Blob Load - 5 blobs loaded to the height of a bench for time

Plate Hula - 2 25's for laps around the body

Grippers

3" FBBC DB or Inch DB lift. - If you lift the 172 Inch, then reps in 90 sec.

Scale wt DL & hold - 2 50lb scale weights in each hand for time

After - beer & BBQ, Strongman & many other Grip toys available

$25 entry fee covers food, Beer, T-shirt.

15 spots max

Events subject to change if I come up with something cooler.

Exact date will be set soon.

This looks pretty cool and after a quick Mapquest, it's only 3 hours and 6 min away! I'll have to keep an eye on the dates and hopefully I can make it.

It's only a 10 hour drive....

Looks like a roundtrip ticket will be around $450.... :blink

I wish I could make it.....

Really? Didn't realize - Now all I have to do is convince my wife :blink

John,

I will likely attend. I say likely since I am rehabbing my shoulder and I should be OK by this time. If I cant bend, I may just embarrass myself and join the contest anyway. 3" thickbar :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry I consider a 1" bar thick HAHAHAHAHA.

If the date is toward the end of OCT I will bring Dave Morton and Steve McGranahan (depending on schedule) with.

Greg Amidon

I say we make this the first official qualifier for next year's U.S. Championships, as long as John is okay with it.

I am strongly considering going. Only a ten hour drive - that's nothing. But a big factor is going to be Strongman Nationals, which are in November, right.

Sounds awesome John.

-Jedd-

Jedd-

I'd check with mapquest or some such just to make sure, but Mark Keshishian once told me it was 10 hours. Be cool to see you guys again. I'm perfectly cool with making it a qualifier.

Greg-

I'll push for the last Sat in Oct. My daughter's birthday is Oct 11th, & we're planning a Six Flags trip either the weekend before or after her birthday, so the show's got to be either the first or last weekend. Be great to meet you guys.

Looks like this could be quite a freakshow. I'll work the local media. I'm fairly sure it'll get a big writeup in STRONG! Magazine :laugh

Prize packages.......hmmmm

Edited by John Beatty

Only about 7 hours to drive for me...I'm looking into it. I was also considering Bob's MGC and the GGC this year. This one is the closest though. By far. And they all look very cool.

How soon would I need to put in my entry John? The events sound great!

I'm also curious in what order the events would be. If the grippers are after all of the pinching and bending, we might be lucky to have someone close a Super Master. But that's still cool.

As to entry - whenever - I don't plan to get all 15, who knows, though. I'm open to suggestion on order.

I also need some suggestions from everyone on what grippers I'd need to fill holes. I'll be willing to buy 3-4 more. Figure I need a few mid to high range ones. I've got:

IM 1-4 + a cut down #2

HG 100-500

RB 180-240

BB pro

Lemley 190

Really?  Didn't realize - Now all I have to do is convince my wife  :blink

that's funny. it's like a 2 day drive from los angeles. i wonder if i could hitchhike all the way up there.

Edited by supermagnamon

If the date is toward the end of OCT I will bring Dave Morton and Steve McGranahan (depending on schedule) with.

Gulp. :blink

You mean they might be entering the contest??? :cool

I might break my probation and leave the state to see that!!!!!!! :yikes

Gulp. :blink

You mean they might be entering the contest??? :cool

I might break my probation and leave the state to see that!!!!!!! :yikes

YUP! :D

John, I am officially requesting a spot. As soon as you have an entry form all ironed out I'll send one in. I'm taking the time off from work and driving out. Can't wait to meet all the monsters there. :D

As for suggestions on order of the contest events, here is my humble suggestion:

1) Grippers

2) Blob Load

3) 3" FBBC DB or Inch DB lift

4) Plate Hula-(2)25s for laps around the body

5)Scale weight DL & hold-(2)50 pound scale weights in each hand for time

I'm guessing most guys would slot the grippers in first. Everything past that is just gravy. And the blob load idea is fantastic!

Thanks John. Please let me know what I need to do to secure a spot. I will also attempt to talk another guy I know into competing if there is another spot. And if I can talk him into it.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the Elite, maybe a Narrow (2.5") and a Standard could also fill the gripper spots a bit. There might even be a few there who can close the Super Elite. And no I don't mean me. :(

Bencrush-

I don't think spots will be a problem, but all the guys who responded here will be put on the list. I'll slap out an entry form & get it up on the FBBC site as soon as I can build a page for the BBB. I've got one sponsor lined up so far, & am going to talk to Budweiser this week & see if thay can get me 1,000 unused bottle caps. If I can't get that, I'll maybe go to hobby shops & buy them. I think crushing caps would be a fun 7th event.

Also going to try to talk Brian Schoonveld & Eddie Coan into coming down for the day. Maybe be referees.

The order sounds fine, where do we put in the bending?

I totally forgot about the bending. Maybe right after the grippers?

I would love to meet Ed Coan and Brian Schoonveld also. :rock

This contest is looking awesome. The bottle cap event would be a blast. I'd put the bending last but that's just my 2 cents. I find it hard to do any grip stuff after hard bends. I'm going to try and come I don't know for sure yet with my internship but if at all possible I'll be there.

At the end of training events (for Strongman) we did 4 of the events. We put all the blobs out (I have 6 of various weights from 22.5 up to 50). Did the first 5, didn't even wiggle the 50. That's going to be a fun event. Need a 40-45lb blob. The Plate Hula went 37 laps for me, pretty easy until the last 7. Got 108lbs on the 3" DB, cracked the 154 Inch. Bent a few easy bars & Bolts, then a grade 8. Was pretty fried as we did the grip stuff in about 45 minutes & did the Blobs 3-4 times.

Hey John add me to your list. Assuming the date works for me there is a high likelyhood that I'll sign up for your contest. Its only about a 2 hour drive for me and it would be cool to play with your strongman stuff as well.

Jesse Reimann

aka

Incindium

Edited by Incindium

Sorry about all the questions John. :D But I have started training in earnest for your contest. Trouble is I'm short on some specifics regarding even rules. And I don't want to embarrass myself. If you'll humor me I have a bunch of questions.

Bending-I looked on your (FBBC) site and couldn't find the definitio of FBBC rules. I think I read a long time ago that it meant a 2 minute time limit and unbraced bending.

Blob Load-you pretty much answered my question about what blob weights were going to be used. What is the time limit? And will you allow people to lift the blobs in heaviest to lightest order? Instead of lightest to heaviest. Also, the biggest question is will switching of hands be permitted? Midstream is what I was wondering about. I've already started training it and assumed that switching hands would NOT be allowed.

Plate Hula-I understand the rules for that! :)

3" FBBC DB lift-I assume this is just a max weight full deadlift and hold. How long is the pause in the full deadlift position?

Scale weight deadlift and hold-I understand those rules too.

Again, sorry for the huge amount of questions. I just thought I'd start training in a more specific manner. And by asking on the open forum it would allow all the others who plan to compete a chance to tailor their training towards it.

Kind of what Ben asked...Can you do the blobs in any order? For example, 25, 35, 50,40,45? Or do you have to lightest to heaviest or heaviest to lightest?

Will you be allowed to rechalk during the medley or chalk the blobs prior to starting?

Will someone wipe the blobs down between competitors and rechalk them if the competitors aren't allowed to?

Can you grip the blob anywhere? For example, most people set it on the flat spot and grip over the top but can you roll it, so flat spot is no longer on bottom, and grip another area?

Are rubberbands allowed on the wraps for the bending? I've noticed this would technically be rule violation by FBBS rules but you seem to be leneint on it as far as certs.

Grippers are parallel set I assume??

Thanks

Josh

Another rule question: Can I use wrist straps on the 3" bar?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

I would need it.... :D

ok guys-

grippers - parallel set is fine with me, if anyone thinks this is too much, we can go with IM rules

Bending - I don't care about rubber bands on the wraps, It's not like it helps make the bend.

Hula- No stopping & resting it against your body. If the plates start shifting or slipping, you may hold them with both hands in front of your body & adjust them as you can, but no contact with the rest of your body while doing the adjustment

Blob load- in order lightest to heaviest - Kazmaier rule in effect. It's done for time, so you can stop to chalk or break into song if you choose, Once the 90 sec is up, you're done. Alternating hands is fine, using both at once is not :D . Chalk is the only allowable grip aid.

DB/Inch - no straps, chalk only - Sorry Greg

Scale weights - chalk only. I may have them sitting on short platforms, as I looked at them & if they fall to the ground, there will likely be some mashed toes.

Beer cap crush - a finger & thumb. May alternate hands

Afterwards, everyone will have access to my other grip toys & Strongman equipment. And beer.

we can go with IM rules

Booooooh!! :D

I'm going to have to start working on the bottle caps. I don't know if I can do a single one it that method.

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Edited by jad

Yes, thanks to John for answering my 500 questions. :D

I see that the BBB is up on the FBBC site.

Who's going? Any official list yet? I'm curious who my competition will be. :whistel