Question about thick bar work

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

I've recently been doing some thick bar (2") work, mainly farmer's walks, and I'm finding that I don't recover very well for my gripper workouts later in the week. In fact, it takes *over* a week for me to recover to the point where I can put in a serious gripper effort.

If I do the other way, say, putting in a serious gripper workout the day before thick bar work, I don't notice a deficit with the thick bar, but I'm still back to square one with the lengthy recovery time.

Any suggestions on how I might re-arrange the workouts so I can do thick bar and gripper work in the same cycle? This is bumming me out.

David

I do grippers on Monday hard, and then pinch and thick work on Tues hard.  I will do this for a month or so, and then drop thick bar for a week or two.  This will allow thick bar carry over to  hit and I can evaluate my progress, if any.  This is the only way I can go.  I still do some light gripper work everyday through the week, but nothing taxing. This probably doesn't help, just thought I'd throw that out there........

Pick one to really go after, and go a little bit easier on the other.  After a week or two, you'll adapt to the work load, and you go go a little heavier on the secondary exercise.  After a couple more workouts add weight or intensity to the secondary exercise again.

In a few weeks, you'll have no problems.

Or do both on the same day.

David,

You don't mention what kind of weight you're using on the Farmer's, and what your own bodyweight is.

I don't know about you, but the Farmer's really work my forearms to the point they are fried (yes, I go heavy).  This may be your problem, too.  You may have to adjust your workouts to work in the grippers - and don't worry about "recovery time".... this is time for your body to rest and get stronger for the next workout!

Guest DavidHW

Answering some great comments . . .

I weigh 310 lbs, am 6'4", and do the 2" bar (unknurled) farmer's walks with @ 150 lbs on the right hand, and @120 lbs on the left for @100ft. I've never maxed or anything, this is just what I've been doing for the past month or so since I incorporated thick bar work.

I like the idea of doing both on the same day, grippers first, FMs next. I'm trying to train for a powerlifting event in May, and I'm getting frustrated trying to fit my goal of closing the No. 3 in with trying to deadlift all in the same week -- my hands are fried. :-(

Thanks again for all the advice,

David

David,

You're a big dude!!  Keep up the training.... although, I'm thinking that you're doing too much grip work (try doing the grippers on your off-days; when your not doing thick bar work).

BTW, I ordered my thick bar from New York Barbells.  How fast did it get to me?  In LESS than a week!  And the bar only cost me $59.00!  I'm trying it and I'll tell you the results later!