60 penny goes down

Fuel Crusher

Well it's been more than 4 weeks since I last did any nail bending, but I fancied a go today. I only have some 4" and 6" (UK versions of 20d and 60d). Warmed up with a 4", felt quite hard, but it has been a month. Then went to a 6" and straight away got a good kink in it (better than my previous attempt weeks ago). It then took a few hand changes and a couple of minutes before I managed to move it again but I got it far enough to be able to crush it between my palms for the final U shape. I cooled down :crazy  with 3 more 4" bends.

The main reason I haven't done any bending for a while was because the near injury pain it was giving me was affecting my other exercises.

Does nail bending actualy build up wrist strength? or just demonstrate it?

FC

it definetly builds strength in your wrists.  Over the summer, I did lots of bending, and got much stronger in the wrists, even though it was the only wrist type work I was doing.

You're right though, it really does hurt the first few times you bend nails.  But, as long as you don't injure yourself, your wrists will toughen up, and soon you'll bend stuff without even breaking a sweat.

Also, I think that the strength in your wrists never really goes away if you take a layoff.  Maybe some of the more experienced benders around here could comment, but even after a month or 2 of not bending nails, I'm usually pretty close to where I was strength wise to where I was when I bent twice a week.

Guest 115-1005574997

Get yourself down to B&Q find the 5mm rolled steel bars and cut them into lengths

Im using these to train for Davids Nial bending contest in April after nearly destroying my wrists with 6" nails

YOu wouldnt start on the #3 would you! :)

Guest Canthar

Any recommendations on how to start training to bend nails. I really do not know the differences for some of the types of metal you can get. Only metal knowledge I really have revolve's around that used on Submarines and basics of everythingelse. I'm really looking to get into bending. I figure nails would be a good variation of wrist excercises aswell.

Canthar

Guest kINGPIN

WELL DONE FC!!!

Like you I have also had a bit of a lay off due to other issues going on right now which is why I have not been on here much but that has just motivated me to get back to the bending.  Keep it up bud and let us know your progress as you go along. :)

Nice job Fuel Crusher!

I agree with Clayton that it definitely builds strength!:)

As he say, just be careful that you don't injure yourself! In the beginning, it's very easy to go overboard with your training (Clayton, what's that about a "layoff"? Just let me bend this new 50 lb box of nails, real quick, and then I'll give it a try...well, maybe after I finish off thoses steel bars and rods, and spikes, and ... Looks like some other steel bender will have to field that question!???)

Train Smart!

Thanks guys.

I think what I did was a bit foolish now, I'm realy feeling it today in my right hand. I'd never go for a max squat or d lift out of the blue so I shouldn't have done the 60d. Never mind, at least I know I've done one now  :D . I think a box of 5" nails are in order, I know I have the strength (I think most of us probably do) its the technique I need to practice and smaller bends are the way I think.

FC

PS How are the 'super squats' going Andy?

Guest kINGPIN

I only 20 rep squat twice a month because I cannot work myself to the floor with the squats before a late shift at work.  They cirtainly are productive but 3 sets of 10 are a lot more comfortable!!! ;)  I have quite a bit on right now so I have not been able to give my all to the squats on the 20 reps whereas I can really push myself hard in the second format.  I just ain't built for endurance any more.     :(  :D