Finally Got A Price....

Justin Reagan

I finally got a price on some steel from metalsupermarkets.com. 36' of 3/16" square cut into 4' sections would cost me $47 (the price they gave includes shipping). That's about $1.30 a foot, which is more than I pay at the most expensive of hardware stores. Oh well, at least they finally sent me a quote. I thought this was my best bet, but now I'll start exploring other options you guys suggested.

Justin Reagan

wow they must be dicking you on shipping cuz for the actuall metal i pay $0.43 a foot and that's Canadian change! stupid frickin metal places and shipping!

There's better deals around, for sure, bro.

-Jedd-

There's better deals around, for sure, bro.

-Jedd-

If you can't find a steel shop call up some welders and ask if they can give you some suggestions. For $43 you should be able to buy a load of 3/16 -5/16.

I just picked up 12 ft lengths each of 3/16 square, 1/4 round and 1/4 square crs for $16 at my local benders pro shop aka metal mart here in metro Detroit.

Edited by jomcgui

Do some searching in the yellow pages and via internet for some of these ideas:

Steel suppliers

machine shops

welding shops

welding supplies

salvage yards--you can find almost anything and you might get lucky

I've searched my phonebooks front to back. I also checked out mcmaster-carr and the shipping was crazy there too. Onlinemetals.com also. Way more than the price of the steel. I've been bending lots of timber ties, and I'm almost out of my IM yellows. I have several "warped" yellows that I couldn't get before, and I've been trying them to extend my current supply. No matter how hard I try, I just can't do a pre-kinked yellow. I can bend about 4 or 5 yellows in a row, but I can't even do one of the pre-kinked ones. I work really hard to get them in the right position and everything, but they won't even budge. Crazy stuff. I guess I'm going to have to go buy some expensive CRS at a hardware store until I can figure out another place to buy it.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

I've got a few 5", 5.5", and 6" G2s. I bend a few every now and then. Of course I've found out that I hate bending anything below 6", so I don't bend the shorter ones very often. I can, but I don't like it :-). I guess I need to get over it. Bolts would probably be cheaper than steel at a hardware store, so I'll probably start doing more of them.

Justin Reagan