"you Ain't Gonna Believe This" Part 2

hothead

I wanted to add a different thread to the original post on this topic. Have any of you ever been shocked by someone that you thought would have had natural hand strength and didn't at all when put to the test?

My example would be a friend of mine I used to work with in the trucking industry. He was raised on a ranch in Colorado and now had his own ranch here in Nevada. He had a couple of businesses that he was running that involved manual labor. He also competed in rodeo which to me I considered a "slam dunk" on his closing the grippers. I figured these cowboys in the rodeo would surely have the hand strength. He was tall and somewhat slender and had fairly large hands. One day I handed him the CoC Trainer and he couldn't even close it. I was pretty surprised. I was so sure that he would have that and the #1 dominated but I watched in amazement and shock as he busted a blood vessel trying to close the Trainer. He looked at me waiting an explanation and I didn't know what to say. It didn't make sense to me!

I used to work with this kid who was a serious hockey player and tipped the scales at 240 lbs. or so with these HUGE hands. He kept bragging about how strong his hands were so I let him try my EASY #1 and he barely got it to paralell!!

Did he set the gripper? I can't even close a #1 if it's not set in my hand right.

GENETICS.

serious hockey player and 240lbs should never be used in the same sentance.

i close better no set then with a set.

He was tall and somewhat slender and had fairly large hands. One day I handed him the CoC Trainer and he couldn't even close it. I was pretty surprised. I was so sure that he would have that and the #1 dominated but I watched in amazement and shock as he busted a blood vessel trying to close the Trainer.

So his crushing strength is crap, but I bet his supporting strength is the bomb. Betcha he could beat the f**k out of a thickbar!! :ohmy:laugh

GENETICS.

Why? I think Todd Bertuzzi, Joe Thornton, Rob Blake etc. would disagree with you!!

GENETICS.

Zdeno Chara.....260 :cool (6'9" but you get the idea)

I let my boss try my #1 once, he's about as built for pressing as anybody can be and uses his hands all day 5-6 days a week swinging a hammer and such. He got it down about 1/4, I was expecting domination. His son No-Setted my #2 :blink (first time of course)

The building superintendent of the place I used to work for had worked with his hands his entire life and could squeeze the daylights out of you with a handshake. Barely got the Trainer after a half dozen tries. A lawyer I used to work with had fallopian tubes for wrists and said "So?" after shutting the #1 easily.

im talking top echelon players not mediocre players.

the guys you mentioned are not the best of the best.

your avg nhl player is not 240 lol.

the best guys seem to be under 200.

resume regular thread. this is off topic banter.

im talking top echelon players not mediocre players.

the guys you mentioned are not the best of the best.

your avg nhl player is not 240 lol.

the best guys seem to be under 200.

resume regular thread. this is off topic banter.

He can really crush a guy against the boards....I believe that's what this board is all about. (Double Pun :whistel )