Rate These 60 Timber Ties

jomcgui

I've been curious about the strength of these tt's I've got in the garage. I've been able to sporadically bend them. They are tougher than ironmind blues for sure. But since I've had limited access to any other steel I like to see what opinions out there. I'll send 3-6 of these out if anyone wants to try. Just PM an address. Also how is crs 1/4 square on the progression to the red nail. I'll be picking some up next week. What do think a standard envelope, 1 stamp and the nail duct taped good enough to go through uS postal system? Thats my plan anyways.

Shouldnt be more than a dollar or two. I think as long as the envelope is under a certain weight it doesn't really matter. Might be wrong though. Try givin a call to the Post Office and they can tell ya for sure.

Gator told me that someone else told him that 1/4 squares kink is just under the reds and the crush isnt nearly as hard.

I say dont worry about the rating of your nails.. just bend them!

Gator told me that someone else told him that 1/4 squares kink is just under the reds and the crush isnt nearly as hard.

I say dont worry about the rating of your nails.. just bend them!

Not really too worried :D Just always wondered what people were doing when they mentioned doing timber ties for volume. Got a pm about a gallery picture of a volume tt and its different. The ones I have are spiraled, 6 in, and i think Zinc plated from what I gathered from looking at the box again. Figure they are closer to the red than the blue as the crushdown is a b@#$#%. Blues are fairly easy to u for me these days. Anyways I just bought 12 ft of 1/4 in square which I'll try either today or tomorrow.

BTW where is the thread for the progession of bars to the red? I'm looking to get a variety of steel in smaller icrements of difficulty working up to the red.

Jnowski I sent one out today hopefully I put enough postage on it and the envelope holds!

• 2 weeks later...
do you know whee they came from? the timber ties from home depot are really weak probally easier then a blue..

I 2nd that. My Home Depot Timber Ties are cake compared to the IM Blue. I don't mean to be blunt but there is NO comparison.

my timber ties from osh and home depot are easier than the im blue as well. at least they're a lot cheaper, though, than the im blue.