Questions

priznr

Hi, after my second bending workout i killed 6 & 5 inch aluminum gutter spikes (cut from 7 inches).. 6.5 inch is 120 lbs or so to kink it.. 5 felt much harder.

so my question is, after a couple more workouts with 5 inch spikes, should i progress to 6 inch 60D timber ties? i've read they are around 190 or so? I don't want to rush in to things and do something stupid.

do any of you know how hard a 20D 4 inch hot galv. nail is? I purchased a box of them for 1$.

and finally, how many of you bend nails bare handed? how about to warm up on easier nails? just wondering if i am crazy or not because it pisses me off that i can't bend these spikes nicely without a wrap! my hands are still soft :/

peace

Check out the Diesel website and read Dave and Gregs bending article, all you need to know is in it...

First of all bending bare handed is dangerous and can cause very serious tissue damage to your palms. If you are serious about bending barehanded, you will need to condition your hands for this kind of abuse.

For your second question, with 20D nails don't waste your money they are far too easy for you.

And 60d nails vary greatly in their difficulty, I have found some that are harder than G5's. I would suggest going to the Yellow nail now that the gutter spikes are down. Or look at strongmans list of steel strengths and pick the one that's best for you.

Steel Strengths

thanks..

tomorrow is my third bending workout! as for the 20D's being easy, i hope they are as easy as you say :), i need something to bend for volume, especially getting my form down on smaller stuff. i will try them tomorrow. i have been using a straw to practice form and that is getting boring

and thanks about advise on moving to yellow, i recently ordered the bag of nails (hopefully just a one time investment) and it will arrive next week.

thanks alot, peace

these 20D 4 inchers seem really hard.. ? ? ? ?

I wouldn't bother with a nail 4" long, unless you plan to specialize in very short bending. Stick to lengths of 5-7". Maybe you should pick up some green nails for volume, or 5" spiral nails.

Try some 40D nails. I've found them at a couple of home depots and they're pretty easy to do for volume--I paid about 3 cents each. I've also found two different 'timber ties'. One set is thicker, at least in appearance, than the other. Both are pretty soft and bend quite easily. I'm trying to get two at a time, but no dice so far--stuck at 90 degrees. Good luck and try the video gallery for some good examples of form from guys like Clay Edgin and some of the other red benders.

cool thanks.

ya 4 inch nails are hard, i put a hairline bend in a 4 inch spike today, it was so hard that i said theirs no way that my timber tie can be that hard.

sooo, i tried the timber, i was so happy when it started bending :) my face went from a tense grin to a smile

i'm going to buy a whole box of these (home depot 60D timber tie), they have this bucket for 20$ has hundreds of them in there :)

:) :) :)

i practice my form on a straw at work, when i read the greg dave bend pdf..

SO THE TIMBER TIE WENT DOWN, 7/8/2005, using tube socks as a wrap, and DO :)

hey TealGunner, would you rate these how greg/dave pdf rates them? (the home depot 60d ties) after 3/16" square steel and before 1/4" hot rolled steel/yellow etc? or would you say they are easier/harder than listed?

thanks guys peace

ps: im addicted

i have a Q for anyone still reading my questions thread, it is about SPEED.

when greg/dave mention speed, they mention to explode into the bar.. i can't seem to do this unless I apply a small amount of force to the bar then explode. I can't "just explode".

for example, i can totally crush my spikes now in under 3-4 seconds, but, when the bar is straight and i am about to apply my first force to kink it.. i tighten my body, apply a 'small amount of force' , then go really hard and explode.. is this different than what you guys mean by speed?

if i try to explode without any force on the bar beforehand, my form slips entirely.

ok peace :mosher

When I wrote about speed you will see that I tell you to get into position and force your wrists into the movement. This will tighten you up on the nail. Then you should explode into it. If you need to put a little force in prior to exploding that is fine but work on killing the nails as fast as possible. It is the key to bending big steel

Greg Amidon

Edited by gamidon

• 2 weeks later...
When I wrote about speed you will see that I tell you to get into position and force your wrists into the movement.  This will tighten you up on the nail.  Then you should explode into it.  If you need to put a little force in prior to exploding that is fine but work on killing the nails as fast as possible.  It is the key to bending big steel

Greg Amidon

i definitely agree. speed kills.