Sledge Hammer Levering

patrick

OK has anybody that levers sledges used wraps for your wrist. The reason I'm asking is if you have seen Slim perform when he levers heavy hammers he always has his wrist wrapped up. It feels like to me they add at least 6lbs to what you can already lever to your nose. They also seem to protect the wrist from over stretching which is a good thing since I have injured my wrist pretty bad in the past levering a 20lb sledge but I dont want to use wraps if people consider it cheating. Anybody with thoughts about this or experience jump in and let me know your experience. Thanks everybody.

thats a good idea. i have never used them but i will give it a try, and let you know how it goes

I've never used them but often wondered about them. If Slim uses them and he's the greatest sledge leverer of all time I don't see how anybody can say using them is cheating

i guess someone like us could get away with out using wraps but if we put on a show all the time i guess we would need them to keep our wrist warm so we didn't hurt them and i guess to save a little extra strength to do more volume .he could do all his lifts with out the wraps to. and some of it was just showmanship

it might be a little easer it didn't do much for me.

Edited by dadams

I've actually seen Slim's wraps, and they are decorative rather than supportive. I've also seen him toy with his hammers and axes without the wraps, so I believe they are more than likely just part of his "costume".

The reason I ask is not to say slims wraps help him it is due to a wrist injury I got and the wraps seem to help it not hurt so that is why I was talking about slim using wraps Terminator.

Did you guys notice this part of my post (They also seem to protect the wrist from over stretching which is a good thing since I have injured my wrist pretty bad in the past levering a 20lb sledge but I dont want to use wraps if people consider it cheating)

I was using slim as an example since I saw that he wheres wraps. Do you guys understand what I was asking now or not.

Edited by patrick

I'm half way down a 16lb sledge shaft and when I used my METAL wraps I was able to almost lever to the face at the end of the hammer. I will assume this is cheating because it really ups the support but I do want to avoid an injury. Any opinions at this level of sledge levering?

Burner

i had tryed this before i saw this thread, and in my opinion it is somwhat cheating,unless your levering 20 lb sledges i dont think they are necessary

Oldtime

I think this is one of those areas where if you want to train with something then you can, if not, then don't.

Sledge levering isn't ALL in the wrists. It is MAINLY wrists. However, if you want to work on the other stabilizing areas without fear of injuring your wrists than wraps are a good idea as they limit the range of motion the wrist will see throughout the exercise.

If you want to lever more weight you have to get used to doing it. Some will use wraps to make sure their wrists are ready and others will feel that using them will make them dependant on them above certain weights.

Look at it like closing a #3. Do you want to just barely hear a click with a DEEP set or know that you own it because any time you pick it up you can No Set it or close it convincingly with a minimal set. All are closes, but it is up to you which is satisfying according to your own goals.

Do you want to lever a 20 lb. sledge to say you can or know that you have the strength that it takes to do it anytime anywhere. That is a personal preference that may tell you whether or not to use wraps.

my 2 pennies.

T

I have levered a 20lb sledge several times before with no wraps so I dont need them to use heavy weight I just dont want to reinjure my wrist when I train since when I hurt it a 10lber gave me trouble. If I use wraps it would be to protect when training. Then if I stay uninjured I would be able to lever a 20lber anytime I want without wraps so for me they would help.

Patrick,

When you are able to lever a 20lb sledge again, I would LOVE to see video footage documenting that feat. I do quite a bit of lever training and need to see more guys do the 20 in good style to convince myself that it is possible.

Doc

I have to echo Sean's statement. Maybe I'm just weak, but a strict 20# lever seems far off for me. I can do a 12# lever, but man, it's ugly.