I'm A Proud Owner Of A Sandow Dumbell

Titan

Hey Guys, I'm vacationing in Michigan so thats why you havn't heard from me in some time. Just wanted to drop a quick note to let you all know I am now a proud owner of both an: RB "WT" gripper and a set of Sandow Dumbell Grippers. Later Guys Kurk

• Like 1

yeah those old sandows sure are cool.

Was it the adjustable strength Sandow grippers you bought?

They are nice.

David

Was it the adjustable strength Sandow grippers you bought?

They are nice.

David

Yes David, they are the adjustable ones. They are in route to me from an Ebay purchase. I tried (last week) to get the other ones and I was outbid but a week later the adjustable version pooped up and I was able to get them. Kurk

P.S. Are they numbered by any chance?

Kurk,

Yes I saw the auction, well done! I personally like the adjustable ones the best and in fact although they are later in date they are a little more scarcer. I think the price you paid was a fair price and I've seen them go for more than that.

They are not numbered.

These are the Sandow grippers I have.

SANDOW

1. Spring Grip Dumbells. With 7 springs. Pair. c.1900s

2. Spring Grip Dumbells. With 5 springs (Ladies or Youths). With morocco covered handles. Still in tin box. Pair. c.1900s.

3. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Boxed. Includes special polishing cloth and booklets/charts. Pair. c. 1920.

4. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Pair. c. 1920.

5. Spring Grip Dumbells. This pair have the fingers and thumb mound cast into the handles. One is marked L (left) and the other R (right). Pair. I have the patent of these on the wall, 1917.

Have fun collecting,

David

Kurk,

Yes I saw the auction, well done! I personally like the adjustable ones the best and in fact although they are later in date they are a little more scarcer. I think the price you paid was a fair price and I've seen them go for more than that.

They are not numbered.

These are the Sandow grippers I have.

SANDOW

1. Spring Grip Dumbells. With 7 springs. Pair. c.1900s

2. Spring Grip Dumbells. With 5 springs (Ladies or Youths). With morocco covered handles. Still in tin  box. Pair. c.1900s.

3. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Boxed. Includes special polishing cloth and booklets/charts. Pair. c. 1920.

4. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Pair. c. 1920.

5. Spring Grip Dumbells. This pair have the fingers and thumb mound cast into the handles. One is marked L (left) and the other R (right). Pair. I have the patent of these on the wall, 1917.

Have fun collecting,

David

Wow, based on all the history you just said which set did I just purchase? It sounds like you already have at least one set of the ones I just got? Kurk

Kurk,

You purchased these:

3. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Boxed. c. 1920. Pair.

Does your's include the special polishing cloth and booklets/charts?

David

Kurk,

You purchased these:

3. Grip Testing Dumbbells. With large spring that adjusts to 50kg and has a bell that rings upon closure. Boxed. c. 1920. Pair.

Does your's include the special polishing cloth and booklets/charts?

David

Gosh, I don't really know David ???? I just won them yesterday and they are now in route to Florida. BTW , thanks for taking the time to educate me on these rare grippers. I have a very lot to learn about them and some of the other early ones. I hope to go visit Richards new mini museum or grippers in SC in the next couple months. Someone shared with me that Richard even has #50 of 50 of RB WT limited edition grippers and a host of other uniques grippers from different decades and generation. Later My Friend Kurk Again, Thanks!!

Kurk,

To answer your questions.

There were quite a few different types made, and also in different countries. I can't access my proper files right now due to decorating. But here are a few bulletpoints.

1. Joseph Robinson of Ipswich is credited with inventing and patenting what is known as Sandow's Grip Dumbell (Spec. 17855/1898).

2. The highest price that I have seen a set of Sandow Spring Grippers go for was on ebay in 2001 at a whopping $1,630.

3. Different types: 5 and 7 spring, shaped handles, woman and youth, wooden ones on the end of expanders, ringing dumbells. There may be more but these are just off the top of my head.

If you use this information anywhere please credit it to me.

Thanks,

David

Kurk,

To answer your questions.

There were quite a few different types made, and also in different countries. I can't access my proper files right  now due to decorating. But here are a few bulletpoints.

1. Joseph Robinson of Ipswich is credited with inventing and patenting what is known as Sandow's Grip Dumbell (Spec. 17855/1898).

2. The highest price that I have seen a set of Sandow Spring Grippers go for was on ebay in 2001 at a whopping $1,630.

3. Different types: 5 and 7 spring, shaped handles, woman and youth, wooden ones on the end of expanders, ringing dumbells. There may be more but these are just off the top of my head.

If you use this information anywhere please credit it to me.

Thanks,

David

Thanks for all the info David. It is greatly appreciated.

• 16 years later...