CoC Negatives Training Q

Guest peker

Hello, all!  I've been told, and have read, that training with negatives on the gripper you are trying to close (for me, #3) is one of the best ways to get there.  What isn't clear to me is what constitutes a good, solid negatives workout?  Here's what I've been doing (twice, sometimes three times per week):

3x5 warm-up with #1

3x5 with #2

12 negatives with #3 with each hand, performed by gripping the #3 with one hand, and then putting my other hand over the top and closing it fully.  I hold the closed position for a three-count, and then slowly open the gripper over a five-count.  I do one hand, then the other, then rest ~1 minute, and then go again until I've completed 12 with each hand.  On some reps, when I release with my "helping" hand, the gripper will open slightly, so not every rep begins from the fully closed position.

Is the technique right?  Is the 3-count hold/5-count release about right?  Are 12 reps good?

Any suggestions on negative training would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

In other words, squeeze it shut, and then hold it until the cows come home (or until it is fully open)?  Even if that takes one minute or so?  How many reps do you do in this fashion?

Many thanks!

Paul

Yep, even if it takes a minute or so - 2-5reps or so.  I do negatives once or twice a month. What works for me are strapholds. Most of the #3 closers here in the gripboard say that strapholds is the way to closing the gap!

JAMES

Excellent!  I did the negatives per your suggestion last night, 3 reps.  When I was done, I couldn't close the #2, so I definitely got more of a workout than my old method.

By strapholds, you mean using those cloth wrist wrap strap things, and holding on for dear life to a weight for more than you could hold without them?  Same as the negatives (i.e., hold it until you collapse)?  I've done lots of deadlift lockouts and holds for the grip, but not with the straps.  I assume this is what you mean?

Thanks again,

Paul

peker,

strapholds are where you hang a weight from a thin strap.  you then close a gripper on this strap and lift.  the extra weight makes keeping the gripper closed harder.

Guest Hairyporkchop

By definition you'd have to perform strap holds with a gripper you can now close. I'm working on the #2 so I'm doing holds with the #1 and even the trainer. I have the #2 to within a 1/16th of an inch. So close I can almost taste it. Good luck on your goal of the #3.

O.K., ....... I'll bite.......  ;)

How did you get your moniker, "hairyporkchop"??   :hehe  :D

Guest peker

Hairy -

Thanks for the help!  I dug out my old straps from my powerlifting days (the ones that you use to hang onto the bar), which worked perfectly for strap-holds.  I hung a couple of small plates in the loop on the strap and gave it a go.  Excellent workout, for sure!

Good luck with the #2.  I bet you'll get there before you know it.

I've got a long way to go with #3 (about 1/2").  Hopefully I'll get there before my four-year old son closes the T.   :p

Peker after reading your strength level on the #2 we are just about even, lets have a friendly wager who gets to the #3 first. It will just make us both train harder. Good luck maybe we will both make the list together