G2, 7 By 3?8

Muscle Turtle

Has anyone tried this bolt? I want to try one just cause it looks big! haha..

Have anything to compare it to?

I tried a 6" 3/8th hex bolt there were no hash marks on the top so I assumed it was G2......well after cheat kinking it to about 20d I still couldn't budge it, also it's very shiny like a stainless steel look?!

They're not that bad. I've done one with some effort. The only hard part is the kink and then they just smoosh.

• 2 weeks later...

G2's will give a fight on the kink, and after that nothing, Clay's right.

But a G2 that big? Might be in Edgin only territory there.

Im getin close to a red and i tryed a 5/16 g2 and was kinda somwhat hard, i kno for a fact i couldnt do a 3/8th 6" g2..

Oldtime

Edited by Oldtime

I thought I remembered seeing this and it got me thinking about those door hinge bolts which I am sure vary insanely buy brand, design and price range. I was at the local Wal-Mart and in the clearance isle I saw these brass colored 4-inch hinges so for a buck I picked up a set to try to bend of course.

I found them among the bending stuff last night and said why not? So I loosely wrapped up one in leather and it bent like butter, as did its 3 brothers. I though for sure these would be a challenge as they are only 4" and door hinges right. Don't waste your money on the things unless you need a quick bend fix then throw a pack in the glove box as it could impress others because door hinges are perceived to be tough by most accounts - not this Bulldog Brand for sure.

I saw this on the Strongman's Yield Strength page.

7"x 3/8" Grade 2 Carriage Bolt YS = 310

One day at the local hardware store I bought a 7"x 3/8" Grade 2 Hex Bolt

I totally spaced the carriage bolt part, which I think must have been the full threaded type. Well needless to say I hit that thing and it hit right back with an ego-bruising sot below the belt. In other words it didn't go anywhere it didn't want to and of course the 6" version didn't budge either.

I kept think why couldn't I bend that thing? I have bent tougher stuff with higher yeield strengths like the following:

Based on the site's estimation:

Grade 5 Carriage Bolt 6 x1/4 - *Bent 57 degrees Bent 20 degrees *345 pounds

4" x 1/4" *399 Ironmind Blue Nail (cut) - *Bent 20 degrees at 399 lbs

Well needless to say I was bummed but when I looked back it was a carriage bolt and not a Hex bolt with an 1" of thread, learned G2 bolts can vary significantly between different manufactures and I am not so sure those estimates of yield strength are as accurate as we would hope they were.

Now 6"x 5/16" G2 Hex Bolts from FBBC are a different story of course and fairly easy to bend in my opinion.

GATOR