Lever bar or weaver stick training?

rnh57

I have read the mastery of hand streangth and dino training, and the descriptions for lever bar training are confusing.  The descriptions don't match the pictures, and they jump from variation to variation.  I am trying to improve wrist streangth, what is the proper way to perform?

Could someone please help and point me in the right direction?

Your help is appreciated.

What is the proper way to perform this lift.  I was confused by the descriptions and pictures in the books I mentioned.  I am trying to improve wrist strength.

Thank You.

I'll dig out (if I can find it) David Hornes definition for competition purposes.

However, and this is also for others that might be reading, lifting max weight for a single in a comp is not the same as developing new muscle tissue and strengthening ligaments etc.

Take your initial question. If I wanted to develop the muscles of the forearms and those that abridge to or attach in the area of the wrist I would use lever bar work amongst others but if I wanted to work a lift to see what I can do (the law of (excuse spelling) specificity) I would do that lift using traditional powerlifting/weightlifting sets and reps.

Ok for comp purposes (aiming to lift the maximum amount of weight) heres the rules:

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions – diameter about 1”, length 42”. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36” from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½” long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½” from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed.

You'll see that it really translates as keeping the damned wrist as stiff and rigid as possible. Because of us using weight there is some wrist strain. Lever bar work flexes the wrist a whole lot more. It could well be, just to add to the confusion and IMO that Mr Weaver had meant to allow for flexation in the created movment and its only as it became a 'lift' that the rules were altered.

Hope this all helps.