Leather + Bolts

smitty

I wrap it at an angle, still not that great though. cause that side always has a little less padding cause it. I wrap a rubberband around it too, to keep it a little tighter.

-Jon

I use IM pads so you know the challanges I face but I usually try to get the wrap tight on the shaft instead of the head. it's always a little loose on the head but as long as it's tight on the shaft I seem to do OK, for clarification I'm refering to the shaft on the head end not the threaded end.

I use IM pads so you know the challanges I face but I usually try to get the wrap tight on the shaft instead of the head. it's always a little loose on the head but as long as it's tight on the shaft I seem to do OK, for clarification I'm refering to the shaft on the head end not the threaded end.

Yes, I agree with Lyle. I start the wrap at an angle on the bolt and try to get it as tight as I can.

-Jon

Some people just cut the head off. I believe that Chris (Climber) said he does this, I know he said he does it with 60d I believe, but G5s and stuff might be different, since thats how you tell what they are.

-Jon

Just start the wrap and then hold the unrolled end between your belly and a table or something so you can pull it tight as you roll it up. This method speeds up the wrapping process and makes it very tight. I also use a rubber band on the wraps.

If you need a photo or video of the belly technique I can provide it.

Good bending to you,

Mike

Just start the wrap and then hold the unrolled end between your belly and a table or something so you can pull it tight as you roll it up. This method speeds up the wrapping process and makes it very tight. I also use a rubber band on the wraps.

If you need a photo or video of the belly technique I can provide it.

Good bending to you,

Mike

Or even put it on the ground and step on the unrolled part. Use your whole bodyweight to wrap it tight.

I just stretch the leather and make sure to pull it evently toward the center of the bolt/nail. That way I have an even wrap. I part that hangs off the bolt is usually a little crooked, but I just make sure to roll and pull and roll and pull to keep the leather tight. I am also using softer leather and I will replace it soon with less soft stuff. Right now it works pretty well for G2 and 40D and timber ties.

I never did anything special with the leather with bolts until I started using the IM pads which are tough to work with. Try folding the end where you begin the roll about 3/4 of an inch and place the head on that and then begin the roll. Works well for me on the IM pads and I imagine it would work good on the leather.

Otherwise just start the roll and pull tight on the other end with your hand and roll it up. I can never get an even wrap with it but I try like hell.

What the heck you need pads for any way Smitty? You tore two decks of cards at a time in your other post :bow , you dont need pads man. :rock

Now I'm not much of a bender but I just cut the heads off - stick it down in my prerolled leather and go to it. It may be a hair harder but for my purposes, I don't care.

Hey Smitty,

I have much respect for the crew so I'll give it to ya straight. :bow:bow

1) wrap as tight as possible

2)squeeze as tight as possible

3)bend as fast as possible

4) no excuses

hope this helps,

burner

I wrap it at an angle, still not that great though. cause that side always has a little less padding cause it. I wrap a rubberband around it too, to keep it a little tighter.

-Jon

i do the same thing, but with the IM pads though. it sucks, but as along as i'm able to bend.

1) wrap as tight as possible

2)squeeze as tight as possible

3)bend as fast as possible

4) no excuses

hope this helps,

burner

Now burner my friend I have found out your Secret Training Method - I knew I would get it out of you one day or you would slip and I'd be there to snatch the pebble from your hand. :laugh

Cut a little off the wrap, maybe 5/8" halfway into the pad. Wrap the longer portion of the wrap over the bolt body and the thinner potion over the head and beyond the head. The first portion of the wrap will be totally even with the thickness of the bolt and then the rest will catch up and it'll be almost totally all the same thickness once fully wrapped.

-Jedd-

take some tape, sticky side up, lay your leather over 3/4 of it, start to wrap the nail/bolt with the tape until you hit the leather, and keep wraping.

Smitty,

I find it easy to wrap the head of a bolt against my leg. If you wrap it on a hard surface it does not roll as tight. Just plop the bolt on the leather and with your fingers roll the outer edges of the leather. Should work good.

Greg