Where To Get G5s?

logotaxis

Guys,

I was just wondering where everyone gets these Grade 5 bolts from - I have been buying some from Ace hardwares around the Chicagoland area, but they are easier than my blues, so I'm a little confused. Does one progress from blue to 1/4" Grade 5s or to 5/16" Grade 5s?

Thanks for reading,

Edited by logotaxis

I bought my grade 5 bolts form ace and they were definitely regular grade 5's.

Look up bolts in the phone book if you cant find anything your going to have to order off of a site.

your probably getting grade 2's and not grade 5's.

a 6'' x 1/4'' grade 5 should be a lot harder than a blue.

a 7'' x 5/16'' would be quite a bit harder than a red.

so no u dont go from blues to 5/16'' grade 5's :)

check if there is 3 hash marks on the head that look like the top example at this site

http://www.engineersedge.com/hex_bolt_identification.htm

Are you sure they are Grade 5's? I've never seen any that are easier than a blue.

You seem to have the right understanding, you go from the blue to 1/4" X 6" Grade 5, then same size grade 8. A 5/16 X 7" grade 5 is harder than a Red.

You probably know this, but a grade 5 should have 3 slashes on the head and some sort of manufacturing mark. I've only seen JH on the heads of ones at Ace Hardware. Other places carry ones with a triangle.

Maybe Ace just had the bolts inthe wrong bins or something.

So where do you live in the Chicago area? I'm in Palatine and Greg Amidon is in Schaumburg. Ryan, (rjkd12), is in Chicago too but I'm not sure of the exact location.

If you are up north vegripper is near Milwaukee if I remember correctly.

Are you sure they are Grade 5's?  I've never seen any that are easier than a blue.

You seem to have the right understanding, you go from the blue to 1/4" X 6" Grade 5, then same size grade 8.  A 5/16 X 7" grade 5 is harder than a Red. 

You probably know this, but a grade 5 should have 3 slashes on the head and some sort of manufacturing mark.  I've only seen JH on the heads of ones at Ace Hardware.  Other places carry ones with a triangle. 

Maybe Ace just had the bolts inthe wrong bins or something. 

So where do you live in the Chicago area?  I'm in Palatine and Greg Amidon is in Schaumburg.  Ryan, (rjkd12), is in Chicago too but I'm not sure of the exact location. 

If you are up north vegripper is near Milwaukee if I remember correctly.

Ah, no slashes on mine. Yeah, I think someone at Ace may have sorted them wrong, I was definitely taking them from the bin labeled "Grade 5" ...

Thanks everybody for the info, I know this has been asked before.

I am in downtown Chicago!

Bump to porky's post, grade 5's dont vary much if its easier then a blue its not a grade 5. It is most likley a pretty descent strength grade 2,because grade 2's do vary.

Edited by Oldtime

I get mine from the local Farm Machinery store $.50 a pop and the strength is very consistant.

I've gotten most of my bolts from True Value and Tractor Supply Co.

Fastenerhut.com for all your bolt needs

burner

Fastenerhut.com  for all your bolt needs

burner

Thanks again guys, yesterday I went to another Ace hardware and made sure the bolts had the three lines on the head, before I bought them. Now I see why they are the next step, after the blues... :blush

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a box of 100 G5's from the hardware store, they'll order them in. You can get a great deal, like 30 cents a peice.