Found Some Steel

Justin Reagan

I finally found a place that sells some steel. Its rusted because its always outside.(but not too bad to bend, though) Its not labeled hot rolled or cold rolled (and I didn't ask the man there because he sounded like he couldn't have cared less about giving me any information), and the smallest available size is 5/16". So, I bought 20 ft of 3/8" and 20 ft of 5/16" for doing some of that fun scrollwork. It feels like it might be HRS. I spent $20 on the 40 ft. He charged to cut it, too (I didn't have anything with me to cut it) I had it cut into 5 ft sections for $1 per cut. I really, really wish I didn't live in the middle of rural Arkansas.

Justin Reagan

yea that's really too bad, i'm gettting 36' for $10 CDN which is like $7 USD, try ordering online and having it shiped to you, you'll know what your getting and u'll get it a hell of alot cheaper

try www.metalsupermarkets.com i'm not sure if they ship to america

Edited by UWBodyBuilder

Justin,

Try Mcmaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Very fast shipping and good prices. Their bending supplies are endless. You can get brass, steel, etc.

My favorite is part number

88755K45

you can get 9 sizes of drill rod between 1/4 inch or the blue nail (.250) and 5/16 inch or the red nail (.312) all in 3 foot lengths that you can cut down to what ever length you want. That way you have the ability to make very small but very good gains in difficulty to increase what kind of steal you can bend.

Very tough steel by the way. Harder than Ironmind steel i believe.

W

Just fyi

yea that's really too bad, i'm gettting 36' for $10 CDN which is like $7 USD,  try ordering online and having it shiped to you, you'll know what your getting and u'll get it a hell of alot cheaper

try www.metalsupermarkets.com i'm not sure if they ship to america

There is a Metal Supermarket store about 300 miles from where I live (just out of state). Do you know if they deliver that far? I could just e-mail them, but I was just seeing if anyone knows for sure before I contact them. Also, when ordering from them, what options should I select? Let's say I want regular hot rolled or cold rolled round steel. There are several specifications that I have to choose from, and it's a little confusing.

This would be a good place to get steel if the price and the shipping is just right.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

I finally found a place that sells some steel. Its rusted because its always outside.(but not too bad to bend, though) Its not labeled hot rolled or cold rolled (and I didn't ask the man there because he sounded like he couldn't have cared less about giving me any information),  and the smallest available size is 5/16". So, I bought 20 ft of 3/8" and 20 ft of 5/16" for doing some of that fun scrollwork. It feels like it might be HRS. I spent $20 on the 40 ft. He charged to cut it, too (I didn't have anything with me to cut it) I had it cut into 5 ft sections for $1 per cut. I really, really wish I didn't live in the middle of rural Arkansas.

Justin Reagan

Dont buy it, i did the same thing and it was rusted and messed up, i get some and take it home a bench a 4.5 inch 1/4(and i was only bending yellows at that time), my guess it is was the lowest grade steel in the world or it was iron. My advice, get some crs that you know is crs and ask him to clip a littl epart off and look at it, when he cuts it if it freys and looks kinda grayish and really soft Dont buy it because its probally not what you want.

I honestly think the reason they only carry 5/16 is because 3/16 would be too weak because it isnt steel or the grade is so low. my place only carried 1/4... i suggest buying a small peice and bring it home and cuting up a red nail or somthing and compair it to a regular red nail.

Edited by Oldtime

i'm at work right now Justin, but i'll check my last order when i get home, i think your referring to the CS#### correct? ort CQ or whatever it is! i'll help ya out~! :)

One more thing. They actually price it by the pound?? Interesting. 1/4 steel, according to them, is only 0.167 lbs. per foot.

I'm so anxious about hearing about this, I could almost drive to St. Louis to get it--if it weren't for that obnoxious 6 hours worth of driving to get there and 6 hours to get back.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

JR.

You need a way to cut it up. Bolt cutters work for smaller stuff, otherwise use an angle grinder. Also, if your gonna scroll start with HRS.

-HH

I got CR1018/316 (3/16" ROUND) and CSQ1018/316 (3/16" SQUARE) so i imagine that you should grab up CR1018 in 1/4" , or CF or whichever but go 1018/316 :) hope that helps! hahaha

I'm going to ask them about shipping. Do they just cut it into whatever lengths you ask? I would probably want it in 4' sections.

Justin Reagan

Justin,

Try Mcmaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Very fast shipping and good prices. Their bending supplies are endless. You can get brass, steel, etc.

My favorite is part number

88755K45

you can get 9 sizes of drill rod between 1/4 inch or the blue nail (.250) and 5/16 inch or the red nail (.312) all in 3 foot lengths that you can cut down to what ever length you want. That way you have the ability to make very small but very good gains in difficulty to increase what kind of steal you can bend.

Very tough steel by the way. Harder than Ironmind steel i believe.

W

Just fyi

i'll check out that item. thx.

I looked at that Mcmaster Carr site about a week ago for bolts. The drill rods looked a little expensive. About a dollar a foot for the 1/4", isn't it?

Justin Reagan

yea they'll hack it up for you might cosst $0.15 a cut might not, depends how busy they are, if they are bored they wont charge you hahhahah

When they finally reply about price & shipping, I'm going to go crazy buying steel. 3/16" square CRS, 7/32" CRS (now where else can you get that?), 1/4" HRS, and maybe some 3/8" and 1/2" HRS for all my scrolling needs.

Justin Reagan

When they finally reply about price & shipping, I'm going to go crazy buying steel. 3/16" square CRS, 7/32" CRS (now where else can you get that?), 1/4" HRS, and maybe some 3/8" and 1/2" HRS for all my scrolling needs.

Justin Reagan

hahah i'm glad ur gettting some good stuff! it's a good place to go! althought i didn't know they had 7/32" i wonder if they have 9/32" hmmmm very interesting, might have just found the best progression of steel ever!, or 7/32" square ooo the possibilities are endless!

It looks like they have 9/32" also. With the square, you would have to choose a different "grade" to get these other sizes. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Justin Reagan

All their regular cold FINISHED bars are cold ROLLED (except for those that are specified as hot rolled), aren't they? I'm pretty sure, because their hot rolled bars are actually specified as hot rolled. I guess if they're not specified as hot rolled, they're cold rolled.

I just want to be sure to get the right thing.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

I finally read the description paragraph, and in the middle it says "It has a smooth - clean - cold drawn (rolled) surface." So I guess so.

They still haven't got back to me with the price and shipping quote. I'm really, really hoping that the shipping isn't $20 (making it cost me $20 + the price of the steel for 36'--not very good) or something similar. I'm getting anxious. Maybe I should just call them.

Justin Reagan

shipping with Mcmaster car is miniscule in my experience.

W