Good Workout/bad Workout

Justin Reagan

About 2 or 3 days ago I felt really good and strong, so I decided to do some major bending. I ended up bending three pieces of 3/16" CRS (two 5" pieces and one 4" piece), one piece of 7" x 1/4" HRS, one piece of 8" x 1/4" HRS, ten timber ties, one 5" G2 carriage bolt, one 6" G2 hex bolt, two 4" 20d bright common nails, three 6" 60d polebarn nails, two pieces of 6" zinc plated 3/16" square steel, and five 3 1/2" 16d finishing nails just for fun (ok, ok, two of them were done together...). That was about 29 pieces, if I counted right. Well, that was the good one. Today I decided to have another go at it. I had about 12 pieces lined up. I wasn't going to dare try to go as crazy as I did the other day. To make a long story short, I ended up bending two pieces of 3/16" CRS, one 6" piece of 3/16" square, and two timber ties. I also ended up with some slightly kinked 1/4" HRS and 3/16" square. Maybe I should learn to follow up a really good workout with a 15 or 20 timber tie workout. No more, no less. I just ruined some perfectly straight pieces of steel by trying too hard when I shouldn't have been. At least I stopped before I hurt myself again, though...

Justin Reagan

RECOVERY IS THEY KEY

Just like they say, "You don't grow muscle in the gym" you tear it down in training session but it is the other 22 hours or so that you do your repairing. When you do a marathon high volume session you will need to take an extra day or two even more than that to recuperate. Then go back and warm up then go for some max bends. After a few days of recovery go and do some medium high volume work and continue the cycle. This has worked for some of the great benders so if it worked for them and they are now wrecking Reds then maybe you should give that routine a try, it sure can't hurt to experiment and that is one of the facets that make this grip strength game so fun and keeps things fresh.

TRAIN SMARTER NOT JUST HARDER!

GATOR :rock

High volume is a great way to become a better bender, but make sure you take at least a full fay off between sessions.

that'a definatlely alot, my routine "that I found by Hit/Miss" is 1 day of bending with 3days rest, I do a few warmups then to my hardest bends to finish off with a few moderate to hard bends Totalling 7-10 hard bends per session,

like last night was: 6X1/4 (2)warmups, 5.5" G5's (2), 7" X 5/16th HRS (4) then finished with 3 60d nails. now I've got a few days rest to psych up for the next session.

Thanks, it's going really well now, I've killed a 6" G8 in about 20 secs and 5.5" G5's are falling just as quick, when I get tired I bend 5/15th X7" HRS for practice at the 7" lenght, I just find 7" a weird lenght for me to bend.

For everybody there is a bar length beyond which it will get much more difficult to bend.

I found out that I can't bend bars at 7.5" which I can get down easily at 7".

Question of arm length and levers I guess.

However you can train to move that limit to longer bar within a certain range.

that's what I'm trying to do now, I just don't know it I'm going about it the right way, basically I tired myself out with short stuff and then work on a weaker piece of 7" stuff??????!!!!!!