Other Types Of Bending

Justin Reagan

Does anyone here do any kind of bending other than short bar bending? Something such as behind the neck bending (3' or 4' bars) or anything similar? Is it worth a try? I just read through Brookfield's "grip master's manual" for the third time in about 2 or 3 weeks, and all the bending just caught my eye. Of course I wouldn't be able to practice it as much as the short bar bending (obviously because of the cost of the steel), but it sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Justin there is an art called scrolling and that is done with bars from about 3-4 foot all the way to 20 foot on average. There are all sorts of designs to create and no one will ever be exactly alike for sure. If you are interested in learning more about this the you should really read Steel Scrolling/Coiling 101 by Erik Vining aka: HAMMERHEAD in the Articles section on the front the very first page you see when you log on. This article as this will give all the basics and then some my friend.

I tried some coiling. I tried a 3' piece of 5/16" HRS. It was lots of fun, but unfortunately I'll have to find a cheaper source of steel somewhere in the area before I do too much more. Hardware store prices are ok for short bending, but not this.

Justin Reagan