Grade 8

Lyle

No idea what the ratings are on a G8, but I gave up on worrying about the ratings for steel bending when I realized that they don't necessarily translate well from one piece to another when you're a DU bender. Before I'd bent a G8, I'd looked at the charts and said "Wow, I made that short G5, which means there's no way I can't make a G8 because the chart said it was way tougher!" Turns out I was dead wrong on that one, and it kicked my ego pretty good back at the time. Now it is all just a matter of looking at each new piece/length as a challenge because I found out just how different a weaker 5" piece is from a longer 6-7" piece of something that's supposed to be only a little bit harder :D

VeGripper

Lyle its about 235k to bend, times it by 2.2 and you get the .lbs

Lyle its about 235k to bend, times it by 2.2 and you get the .lbs

That would make it harder than a red nail, are you sure?

yeah that sounds a little off, I was just looking to compare a 5.5" G5 to a 6" G8 VeGripper I think you could help me with this?

look at davidhorns challenge thread, i got it from there.

and he nows his stuff so i aint gonna argue about it.

not to seem mad or any thing

Edited by dadams

That's the rating for snapping the bar not bending it into a U according to what I read in the Challange bar post.

no thats for bending it, in big steves dvd it says it also.

it also says in that post that a blue nail is 200k

but we all know a blue is 260lbs not 440lbs

i think david has a different rating system. or something.

i dont know tho i know nothing about the challenge bars

Edited by porky

ok, i am just going off what i heard or saw.

Lyle,

If you're looking for the comparison from a 5.5" G8 to a 6" G8, I didn't find that much of a difference between them in the initial DU kink (slightly more difficult), but obviously the crushdown was a bit harder, maybe 10% or so. I feel that if you can crush down a 6" G8 without failing a 5.5" isn't too much worse!

VeGripper

Lyle,

If you're looking for the comparison from a 5.5" G8 to a 6" G8, I didn't find that much of a difference between them in the initial DU kink (slightly more difficult), but obviously the crushdown was a bit harder, maybe 10% or so.  I feel that if you can crush down a 6" G8 without failing a 5.5" isn't too much worse!

VeGripper

he said (5.5" G5 to a 6" G8 ) not sure if u just made a typo

Whoops! My mistake....

I'd put it closer to a 5" G5 being more like a 6" G8, or very close to it. 5.5" is still a fair amount easier than a 6" G8. It definitely takes a bit more work until you start getting short on those G5s in the 5" range, so perhaps that's a closer comparison for difficulty.

Then again, if you're like me and suck at 5" or shorter bars, a 6" G8 is easier than the 5" G5! Thats why I say, even if the supposed yield strength is greater on a shorter bar than the next level of toughness in a longer piece, it is a tough comparison to make unless you handle all lengths with equal ability!

VeGripper

Thanks VeGripper, tonight I suprized myself and knocked off a 6" G8 in about 20sec using DO and then did two 5.25" G5's in about the same time, however now I'm faced with a new problem, while I've been humbled by a RED "only a few degree bend, just enough to make it wobble when rolled" I find 7" is a lenght that feels very awkward to me. For example I can knock off a 6" 5/16HRS easier than the same piece at 7" ?!

Lyle,

Looks like we're in the same boat on this one - 7" feels weird to to me, where 6" is the comfortable length where I get my best bends. That little size difference really affects performance, and from what I can tell, the best way to get past it is to just keep working those longer pieces and it'll come in time. I just stocked up with a load of 6" to 7" FB 1/4" square stock, and I'll be working on those until they're a piece of cake. Then it'll finally be time to attack the red again once I don't feel awkward working on longer pieces!

VeGripper

how does 1/4" square stock compare to 1/4" round stock and 5/16" round stock? just outta curiousity (sorrya bout going off topic)

not off topic at all, from what I know a square piece is just below the next round size up, so 1/4 square CRS would be about 80-90% of 5/16 round CRS, anyone who had more info please feel free to correct me?