Hammer Strength Grip Machine

Bob Lipinski

I just changed gyms, and I noticed there was a plate loaded grip machine.

Basically, it has handles like the other plate loaded machines. The handles seem almost parallel, with it being a little wider on the "wrong" end as opposed to the grippers. There is a pad for you to sit on, and the handles are below and in front of you. The movement is like a gripper; In other words the handle that the fingers go around is the one that moves, not the thumb end.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Bob, I don't know what this particular machine is like but I made my own that simulates the gripper action (pic on homepage). The one main difference between mine and a gripper and I presume the one you've seen also, is that the closing pressure is linear across the range of motion. Of course a gripper gets harder the closer it gets. Personaly I don't get on with the grippers and they give me knuckle pain but with a machine I'm fine. The outer sweep is the hard part and I usually up the weight for some partials.

I also find that when I do sets of reps I hit a similar type of failure to regular barbell work, ie I end up failing to be able to begin the next rep as opposed to just not getting it closed as far.

While I hope to go back to the grippers someday I realy enjoy my machine so I'd give the hammer strength one a go, I'm sure you'll rate it.

Regards

FC

there's one in the athlete's weightroom at my school.  I used it for about 4 weeks one time.  It has a feel similar to to the grippers, it gets harder as the handles get closer.  

I liked it, the handles felt small, like I was going through a longer range of motion than grippers.  Also, I was able to add a bunch of weight every time I used it, which is always fun.  Just be careful not to rock back and forth to cheat the weight up.

Also, you have to control the negative, which you really don't have to do on the grippers.

Guest DavidHW

I use a Hammer Strength machine at my gym for one-hand forced negatives. I wrap the metal handles with athletic tape in order to provide some level of traction a la a pair of grippers. Have someone spot you on the heavy stuff though -- I nearly tore my thumb off once when I fatigued faster than I thought I would.

David

The last time I used the Hammer Strength grip machine, I was in the gym qualifying for my CoC certification.  I loaded it up with a bunch of weight and was doing reps.  The manager of the gym was watching me, and later told me that what I had on that machine was the most amount of weight he'd ever seen.  I didn't tell him I wanted to add more - since I thought what I had on it wasn't enough!!  :p

Go as heavy as you can on the HS.  And heavier still if you are performing negatives.   :)

I had some experience with this machine at Pitts gym.  I loaded it to around 100 and did one hand at a time for rep outs then held it for as long as possible with each hand.  

it was okay because I didnt have any COCs handy or any other crushing stuff, but I really did not like it.  I didnt feel like I could get full movement and I often pinched the palm of my hand inbetween the 2 bars :angry:

I guess variation is key when training grip, so if I had full time access to this machine I would throw it in on occasion, but not make it staple in my workout.

My 2 cents worth-

Rick Walker :hehe

As John Wood posted some time back, when you get

your grip readied, move your feet back under your butt,

and the amount of weight you use will be much less,

especially if your arms are slightly bent, eliminating any

tendency to 'row'.

Thanks for trying kINGPIN.

Thanks OldGuy, odd machine on that link, doesn't look like it simulates grippers much.

Bob is this the machine?

If it is the machine I can't see how it would get more difficult the closer the crush gets ??

FC

That's it!

It doesn't seem to get tougher as you close it, especially compared to the grippers.

In fact, that's one reason I think I might get some use out of the machine- One of my biggest obstacles in moving up grippers is getting it set right in the hand. My hands are pretty small, and it takes alot of effort to get them set. More strength in the first part of the ROM might help me.

One good thing about the machine is that it is almost impossible to cheat on. When I use it I press my hand firmly against the non-moving handle, which prevents me from trying to row the weight up.

Bob it was one of the first things I noticed about my machine, very hard on the outer part of the crush. I figure get plenty of strength up in this area (which I don't think the grippers do as well) and the final part should progress better. However to be sure I also perform partials over about the last half of the ROM with more weight, you might want to look into how it might be possible to do partials on this machine.

Good crushing

FC