simple, yet very effective

Guest rockblaster

Guest rockblaster

Several weeks ago, I made a 7' long thick bar from 2" thick, cold- rolled steel stock.  I had to buy the stock in 10 foot sections.   For awhile, I didn't really know what to do with the remaining 3 feet (it weighs 35 pounds).  Recently, I found that simply levering the bar stock really works the lower extremities in roughly the same way that a sledge hammer or an anvil (lifting by the horn) would.  This is useful if you don't have access to an anvil on a regular basis.   It really builds a vice-like grip--not to mention the power in the wrists and forearms.  Now, one may think that because the weight is evenly distributed along the bar that this would not be that efffective; however, you are gripping a 2" diameter bar which, as many of you know really puts stress on the lower extremity.  Besides, if the bar becomes too light, simply add weight to one end using collars.  I do not really believe this idea is totally original but, I thought I would share it with everyone since it has proven to be effective in my training--and it is really cost effective as well.

rockblaster,

how much did the 10' section cost?  i've been wanting to make a thick barbell for a while, and i'm curious as to how much this would set me back.

Guest rockblaster

Hey underdawg,

It cost 50 dollars--very cheap considering that other commercial thick bars cost much more.  The overall weight for the 7'bar is 75 pounds.  I simply use spring collars to hold the weights in place.

tou,

nearly everyone i've talked to has told me to find someone that sells steel.  you can either look in the yellow pages or on the net.  if they don't have the piece they should be able to order it for you.

Guest rockblaster

Tou,

Just go to a metal supplier.  They should carry all kinds of steel.  I also made a couple of dumbell bars from 1" stock.  They cost only $25 and, since each are about 26 inches long, can hold a much higher capacity than the ones you buy in stores.   I just simply hold the weights in place with spring collars.