PDA SoS Gripper arrived

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

Got it yesterday, a 363 in-lb'r. Closed it for 5 reps, so it's going to be perfect for getting a consistent close on my IM No. 3 -- haven't had my 3 calibrated, but were I to guess, I'm thinking it's between 400-420 in-lbs.

The handles on the SoS are shorter than on my CoC grippers, and the finish isn't quite as shiny, but with the screws in the handles, it feels very solid in my hand.

I just hope it holds its resale value when I'm selling my grippers and pooling money for the Gripanator. :-)

David

I got mine too. It's a 325. I'm totally lost : I CAN'T close it. It is almost as tough as my #3. I see two things : this gripper is anormal or my #3 is the lowest #3 ever. One thing is for sure : when I'll close the #3, I'll send it to John for calibration and if it comes back under 400, I'll get another #3. I don't want to be the sissy who certifies on a 325 #3.

And I tought I was strong at crushing ... :(  :(  :(

Don't feel too bad.  

Let me guess, the sweep in and also how fast the force builds up seems really high.

You could have one with a tighter wound spring.

Perfect guess Wannagrip. The sweep is as hard as my #3. And the tough point comes very fast. The size of the spring is identical as my #3.

I'll work hard on it and if it takes too long to have good progress, I'll get a weaker one.

Hey Tou,

If you're feeling adventurous... perhaps you and I can trade grippers for about a week.  I'd like to try those grippers, and you can have a go at some of my stock.  Interested??  Send me a private message if you want.

Guest DavidHW

Tou:

Also make sure you approach your 325 with the proper respect and effort. My first squeeze on my 363 was a lazy, half-hearted one that left me a few mm's short. So I got pumped and clicked it. I think I was figuring that since I was so close on my No. 3 that I didn't need to try hard. Nonsense. We're talking IPs in the 85%-99% range of our No. 3's -- in bench press, for instance, that's 2-4 rep territory.

Get psyched and I bet that 325 closes for you.

David

Guest StrongerthanArne

Tou,

Cheer up. The correlation between closing IP and how difficult a gripper is to close is much weaker than you perhaps would like to think. I bought a 338 ip PDA gripper that I am sure you could do many reps with. The closing IP numbers seem if anything to be even more unreliable when it comes to describe the difficulty of a gripper than IronMind's good old T,1,2,3,4. You would probably get a better idea on how difficult your #3 is by sending it to Heath, rather than waisting your money on calibrating it and getting a number that may mean little in the real world.

Cheers

Tou

I have a 325 IP and 367 IP gripper. The 325 IP is easier to close than my COC No. 2. The 367 IP is almost as tough as my No. 3!! I can just close the handles on the 367 IP to a bit more than parallel. So I also agree that the IP numbers can be very misleading. Don't be discouraged.

Chester

Wow!! Maybe I got lucky but I ordered a 250 IP and a 350 IP model to fill the gaps between my calibrated IM #1 (210 IP), my #2 (307 IP) and my #3 (439 IP). They are both spot on in the middle; right where I wanted them to be. Mine came with two calibration numbers which I assume are the parallel handle and closed handle values. I couldn't be happier with them. They fit my hand much better and both are almost identical in configuration. Whereas each of my IM grippers is very unique in configuration.

- Mike M.

I'm not discouraged, it's just that I got this gripper expecting it to be between my#2 and #3 (based on average in/lbs for #2, #3 and BBM in the calibration thread) and it's so close to my #3 that, eyes closed, I couldn't make the difference between the 325 and the #3.

However, don't get me wrong : this gripper is top quality and I'm glad that PDA offers calibrated and seasonned grippers.

You're right David, I didn't tried it in a regular training session. I tried it a couple of times out of the bag, no chalk. I got it close btu I was expecting to grind the handles with furious strength.

I'll give it a good try this saturday in my weekly grip workout.

Interesting,  I received my 378 in-lb SoS about a month ago, I can close it now, but couldn't initially.  It is definitely between the BBM and my #3--as I'd hoped.  I should be receiving my 411 in-lb SoS within a couple of days.  I'm interested to see how the 411 compares with the 378 and the "unknown" #3 which I'm guessing is 420-440 in-lbs.  The 378 was definitely what I was looking for, and the gripper quality is top notch.  I'll let you all know my thoughts once the 411 arrives.