Im Pads

tx_fireman

I finally got my IM pads in the mail. What a pain!. I figure I would get some since they are what you are supposed to certify the reds with. Unlike the leather pads (which take me about 10 seconds to slap them on), I fight with the IM pads for about 30-45 seconds. My freakin' hands are tired after "trying" to roll them up.

Anybody have the same experience? Any pointers? They would be highly appreciated!

driving you nuts?

dont you mean nutsier :)

i dont have im pads but i know what u mean about hands getting tired from wrapping, its a pain.

i found out the hard way as well in finding them on how to wrap, but once u find u're own trick, u'll won't complain after that. i've gone thru a lot of videos in the gripboard n used tricks from other ppl. personally. i just roll em up, use a rubber band to hold them in place and then put it on the nails. ;)

I understand about using the rubber bands..my problem is when I am rolling them. I fold them into thirds and start to roll..that's when things go haywire. By the time I get to the end of the rolls everything is FUBAR....corners aren't lining up..creases are going everywhere. I have read in past post that they are great...once they are broke in. I guess I spoiled myself with the leather ones.

I am in your shoes tx_fireman with those pads; they have got me all wrapped up! :laugh

I started out with the trusty dusty dishtowel DO or I should say sort of a DO more like BO style (being obsessed).

Then came the leather and there after DU which made me smoke the Yellow and Blue as fast as I could wrap them up. Since I was blessed to do them two weeks after starting the addiction to bend I honestly think I could have done it on my first day had I discovered the DU style and bought them first.

A dear friend and unbelievable bender recently gave me a brand new pair of IM Pads. So I pulled them out yesterday and noticed right off the bat how crinkly and stiff they were, but I went ahead and tried to roll up a Grade 8 and man were those things slippery and ugly when I got done.

It looked like I had shish kabobed 2 Smurfs with a Grade 8 bolt! :yikes

Well it was ready to be lit and I did light into it but I realized in an instant this ain't even going to budge like this so I backed off quickly. I slid the bolt out and grabbed a 60 because by now the hollows in the wraps we big enough to drive a Volkswagen beetle through so the nail head just slid in and I warped that bad boy into a V. I need to chalk them or wash them first then chalk them as they are going to be a total pain unless I get these things right.

I LOVE LEATHER! and lace :upsidedwn

Leather is tough, provides good padding, soft and comfortable to use.

If cordura were all that then God would have made Cordura Cows & Ballistic Kevlar Bulls! :angry:

I think they are great. Just keep using them they will break in and you will get the technique down. I roll one end, tight, rubber band it, then roll the other end, no rubber band. Try rolling them into thirds then put them under something flat and heavy for a few days, helped mine some.

Try rolling them into thirds then put them under something flat and heavy for a few days, helped mine some.

This is exactly what I did also. Didn't stop me from switching to leather later on, though. :laugh

Rolle

I am in your shoes tx_fireman with those pads; they have got me all wrapped up! :laugh

I started out with the trusty dusty dishtowel DO or I should say sort of a DO more like BO style (being obsessed).

Then came the leather and there after DU which made me smoke the Yellow and Blue as fast as I could wrap them up. Since I was blessed to do them two weeks after starting the addiction to bend I honestly think I could have done it on my first day had I discovered the DU style and bought them first.

A dear friend and unbelievable bender recently gave me a brand new pair of IM Pads. So I pulled them out yesterday and noticed right off the bat how crinkly and stiff they were, but I went ahead and tried to roll up a Grade 8 and man were those things slippery and ugly when I got done.

It looked like I had shish kabobed  2 Smurfs with a Grade 8 bolt! :yikes

Well it was ready to be lit and I did light into it but I realized in an instant this ain't even going to budge like this so I backed off quickly. I slid the bolt out and grabbed a 60 because by now the hollows in the wraps we big enough to drive a Volkswagen beetle through so the nail head just slid in and I warped that bad boy into a V. I need to chalk them or wash them first then chalk them as they are going to be a total pain unless I get these things right.

I LOVE LEATHER! and lace :upsidedwn

Leather is tough, provides good padding, soft and comfortable to use.

If cordura were all that then God would have made Cordura Cows & Ballistic Kevlar Bulls! :angry:

that's a funny comment about if cordura were all that then God would have made Cordura Cows & Ballistic Kevlar Bulls! :upsidedwn

ahhhh...I will try rolling them and putting them under something heavy. Gator, I too, thought about washing them...Then I realized that they weren't hemmed.(I realized this when I pulled two strands completely out of the wrap, Oops!) So, that kind of discouraged me. I did notice that they get more pliable after chalk is all over them.

I thought about posting a pic of the wrapping job...then reconsidered..I thought I might be banned from the grip board for sure.

On a good note, I did crush a piece of 5" 1/4 crs with them.....So,

I will just crush on!

Some tips that may help are 1) use a ton of chalk and saturate those pads on both sides, it makes them denser, which will pad your hands better and make them easier to roll. 2) roll them up as tightly as you possibly can, as you roll, put free hand on end of pad and pull on the nail as if you are trying to stretch the pad as you roll, it helps to have a helper on this to hold pad in place so you can use 2 hands to pull and stretch. 3) When you bend with leather, begin to back off on thickness of wrap used, this will gradually help you progress to the IM pads...... Good luck you can and will do it but it will take some time.....Brett

I'm on my 2nd pair of IM pads, they are stiff and slippery to start with but withchalk and sweat I find they will work into something usable.

I also roll them in thirds and they will go haywire but just roll as tight as you can and adjust for the crookedness as you roll.

remember they will get better.

Does anyone fold them into fourths before rolling? I do this, and it definitely takes some of the sting out of bending, since they're a little thicker when rolled...

Edited by logotaxis

If ironmind really cared about people injuring there hands when bending they would make some good leather pads. Make them blue with there name on them. I'm sure they would make some money if they did as I would definatly buy some. Bending is painfull enough even when using leather pads so I would definatly say there pads are a joke.

Ironmind has has always been very good to me in our dealings. I recieved personal e-mails from Mr Strossen following my first (failed) cert attempt, which expressed concern and encouragement, and more after my 2nd attempt congratulating me. I think what they have done with the red cert is a good thing, (just keep in mind the rule change occurred right as I was preparing to cert, and probably messed me up as much as anyone) it makes it a much tougher cert, and makes those who pursue it better benders, at least it did me. I would have to admit that initially with the rule change I was upset, but in retrospect I think it was a good idea for IM to keep the Red a little harder to achieve. ..............I have not read of any serious injuries re use of IM pads, albeit does cause a considerable increase in the amount of pain you experience. Folding into 3rds felt better to me as well, 4ths just felt too short.....Brett

TAPE! Roll'em tight as you can get them, Then TAPE those bastard IM pads and they won't slip!! For small bends, don't worry about the chalk too much, but use some chalk for the Grade 8s and Reds... And be sure to practice without the tape before you certify....

I always folded mine in 4ths, as tightly as possible, and use chalk on both sides of the wraps and on my hands. I still have my original and only pair of IM wraps, and although I use primarily leather now, after probably close to 50 red bends the IMs have very little wear and tear on them. I would recommend just to make sure the sides are lined up perfectly straight when you fold them, and when rolling them stop periodically and pull the free end to get any slack out. They will eventually take on the right shape. Good luck.

I always folded mine in 4ths, as tightly as possible, and use chalk on both sides of the wraps and on my hands.  I still have my original and only pair of IM wraps, and although I use primarily leather now, after probably close to 50 red bends the IMs have very little wear and tear on them.  I would recommend just to make sure the sides are lined up perfectly straight when you fold them, and when rolling them stop periodically and pull the free end to get any slack out.  They will eventually take on the right shape.  Good luck.

will do. i just ordered my first pair and 50 blue nails to do some volume and get use to them thanks

I always folded mine in 4ths, as tightly as possible, and use chalk on both sides of the wraps and on my hands.  I still have my original and only pair of IM wraps, and although I use primarily leather now, after probably close to 50 red bends the IMs have very little wear and tear on them.  I would recommend just to make sure the sides are lined up perfectly straight when you fold them, and when rolling them stop periodically and pull the free end to get any slack out.  They will eventually take on the right shape.  Good luck.

yes sir. i fold them only once, but 4ths. i'll give a try. :bow

This is an idea I just got, so I haven't actually done it.

For training purposes, you could first fold the pads into thirds (or fourths), maybe let them settle under something heavy for a few days (open, not rolled), and then take the sewing machine to them to get them to act like single strips of a thick cloth. Just sew them with a couple of straight lines across the whole length of the wrap (again open, not rolled).

Might work, or the ends of the bar to-be-bent may annihilate the cord used for sewing. Would probably be best to sew near the sides of the wraps, not the middle where the end of the bar rests.

Rolle