What's Your Progress?

Left Side

What's your best bend right now? And how long have you been training? Maybe you have some impressive jumps in ability in a short period of time? I'm curious, let me know.

My current one is blue nail after 26 days of training.

Been bending seriously since around late January / Early February (not sure exactly when I realized I liked it as much as I do). Hardest piece done is a 7" x 1/4" square chunk of FB stock, otherwise I've managed nine G8 bolts inside of around 12-13 minutes for my next best feat. The biggest jumps came between the blue and the G8 - doing G5 volume was key to moving past my sticking points and finally making the G8s go down. I suppose the last thing to mention is that all bends I do start DU style then get flipped to DO crushdown after they start.

By no means incredible, but I'm working my way up!

VeGripper

wow 26 days for a blue is quick.

blue- 51 days for me

vegripper any tips on going from blue to g5? those g5's are monsters. what size blue is close to a g5?

Never touched IM nails or pads. However, after about 3 months of bending I can bend g5s from more than one supplier, they all seem similar in strength to me. Yesterday I cut a 60d to 5" and bent that, it took me a while, maybe 10 minutes or so but I got it. The g5s I can do in less than a minute, never timed it but it is not slow. Also I can put a pretty good kink in a 5/16 g2 but that's as far as it will go for now. I have never tried a g8 but I think I will soon be ready.

I bend DO at chest height.

Hey guys, I'm new to bending. Started working on the yellow today, the white and green were no problem...I am muscling the yellow, can barely get it to bend, and can't finish it. I think I have a flaw in my technique, b/c I know I have the strength for it.

;)

Hey guys, I'm new to bending.  Started working on the yellow today, the white and green were no problem...I am muscling the yellow, can barely get it to bend, and can't finish it.  I think I have a flaw in my technique, b/c I know I have the strength for it.

get u'e self taped or on a webcam and see u're self on the vid, then u can determine better on what to do with u're technique.

Well I've done a G8 in a sloppy fashion and 60d's and G5's fall like warmup stock but I can't even get a 1 degree kink in a RED.

I all I wanted to do was close my #2 CoC but almost immediately after discovering the Grip Board I was bitten by the Steel-Bending Bug on January 14th of this year. I started out with a Green nail and as soon as I would buy a bigger diameter of steel either HRS (hot rolled steel) or CRS (cold rolled steel) I would come home: measure it, cut it and bend it (sometimes up to 5 PRs in a matter of minutes) with my trusty dish towel I swiped from the kitchen (I am going to have it bronzed-ha ha) :upsidedwn . I was doing some badly modified DO thing but it was working until I hit the Yellow nail, which I could only get a kink in. I was discouraged and talked with our friend and great steel bender Eric Milfeld and like the true Christian Champion he is he encouraged me greatly and suggested I read Clay Edgin's article about body structure and bending style, which led me to try the DU style. I did try the DU and to my amazement the Yellow bent like butter so I just had to try the Blue so I wrapped it up and BAM it went into that sought after V-shape just as quick. Needless to say I had found my Groove Thang! Since I was blessed to do them both within a minute or two from each other and only after two weeks of playing with steel I honestly think I could have bent a blue on my first day had I discovered the DU style, leather and had bought the nails prior to starting on this journey. I didn't know any better nor did I know what I was actually capable of by far.

I did put a small kink in the RED Nail the first time I tried it on day 100, but I didn't have any to try much sooner than that nor do I think it would have went any further than it did on that attempt if at all. Unfortunately I already had a shoulder injury and a jacked up wrist that I made much worse because of my bull headedness of not wanting to be let up until I had bent that Red for those who believed in me, but it bent me over and spanked me hard :pinch enough I am still not fully healed yet. So don't press so hard for that next PR that you end up with an avoidable injury that will set you back in the long run.

I was also blessed to bend a Grade 5 - 5.5" & 5" within minutes of each other so lightening can strike twice in one bending session and it was right after I posted my 5.5" bend then I received a heaping helping of encouragement within minutes of posting so I just had to try that 5" and it went down. Don't ever discount the mental aspect of strength the mind to me it is even more powerful than the muscle under it. :online

Toughest & Shortest Bends Thus Far: all 1/4" diameters

Blue Nail-cut to 4"

5/16” HRS 4”

Grade 5 - 4.5"

Grade 8 - 5.5" (First PR for June!)

Grade 9 - 6"

:rockKEEP UP THE GREAT MOTIVATION, COMBINED WITH SOLID TRAINING IT WILL CARRY YOU TO AND THROUGH YOUR GRIP GOALS! :rock

GATORGRIP

I wasn't going to post my progression stats but I thought hey it could give others and myself a little motivation to keep marching forwards. :D

Red Nail in 3 Months, now possibly a spagetti noodle if I tried real hard.

well i thought i was strong so i ordered the reds knowing i would bend one easy. :blink set up the recorder to capture the moment picked out good music i wanted this to be like a diesel video . :flame i hit that red 5 or 6 times changed positions a couple times and nothing not even a woblbe so i put them in my desk and forgot about them .then talking in chat this was the new thing to do franky handgripperman jed on his video where he goes psycho well for 3 months i tried the red nail i guess isometrics i also did did hammer curls and sledgehammer work then one day me and handgripperman were both trying to bend a red and i kinked one i think he did to so now i knew i could kink it later that week they were in there talking bending and i felt good so i did some benching and after that bent my first red i did no other bending to do the red just trying the red over and over until i got it so it took me 3 months and a lot of isometrics :D

I just started bending around 3 weeks ago. Never knew much about it until I joined the gripboard. I've only bent common nails and some 3/16 CRS. Best bend is a 30d nail. Cheat kinked a 40d about 30 degrees and closed it with alot of effort. I have alot of respect for you guys bending 60d :rock

• 2 weeks later...
any tips on going from blue to g5? those g5's are monsters. what size blue is close to a g5?

I would say that once you get the blue at 4.5" you can get that G5. Volume on 60d nails is the key to making the jump from blue to grade 5.

Also an update, after 41 days of bending, I finally got a grade 5 six inch.

What's your best bend right now? And how long have you been training? Maybe you have some impressive jumps in ability in a short period of time? I'm curious, let me know.

My current one is blue nail after 26 days of training.

i bent a super shiney 6" common 60d nail

27 days bending when i did it.

i'll give'r a go, i'm working on my form with Gamidon tonight i hope, if i can hunt him down hahaha

how much harder is a G5 than a Blue? cuz the blue wasn't too bad to do, aside from my shit kink i could prolly get one at 6 or 7 " if they are that long if i worked at it for a couple weeks hahah yea i'm addicted (not meaning to sound cocky at all)

Edited by UWBodyBuilder

Grade 5's are much harder than blues, when you can bend 4.5" blues you should be ready for a grade 5.

Grade 5's are much harder than blues, when you can bend 4.5" blues you should be ready for a grade 5.

o wow, yea gimme a couple weeks! hahaha i have to 4.75 Blues but i haven't tried them yet, they feel tough as shit!

The first thing you will notice is that the graded bolts are a little springy, in other words you push them down or crush them a half inch and it seems like 1/4" or maybe just a few millimeters comes back at you due to its tensile strength and hardened alloy. Grade 5 bolts are made to bend a little rather than sheer off or break right off the bat and Grade 8s are similar. The Grade 9 - well you be the judge on that bolt but for me I though it was a fun challenge and got it first try praise God! :inno

sounds fun gator! i don't think i'll be hitting the Grade 9 yet but that's ok! ;) one day, along with those reds!