Weak Kink Strength,strong Crush Strength?

Oldtime

First off ide like to introduce myself as this is my first post :).

i've been bending for about maybe 2 or 3 weeks pretty new, (Porky got me into it :happy ) and i am conviced i have decent strength in my hands i closed the number 2 coc gripper 3 timesa nd ive bent the yellow nail once.

Heres my question.

kinking the nail is extremely hard for me, is this normal? how can i correct this?i cheat kinked a blue 30 minutes ago and was able to crush it very easily :blink .It seems once i can get the nail at a 30-35 degree angle i am able to crush it.

i have been doing levering lately also. any advice on this will be greatly apriciated :)

btw i bend both ways i am not sure which way i am best at yet.

Edited by Oldtime

u probably need to work on u're wrists. it seems as though, u're a naturally. gl with u're training.

u probably need to work on u're wrists. it seems as though, u're a naturally. gl with u're training.

ill probally just add in more levering even on the days i dont bend. Try to jam more volume in too, anyone else's opinion on this? :help

IMO the kink is always the hardest part of any bend as it has the least amount of leverage and uses more of the small wrist muscles as where the crush uses the big chest and shoulder muscles, keep at it.

IMO the kink is always the hardest part of any bend as it has the least amount of leverage and uses more of the small wrist muscles as where the crush uses the big chest and shoulder muscles, keep at it.

Not always true, I can kink a 5.5in FBBC to 90 pretty consistently, it then gets way tougher. If you want to get better at bending then bend like a maddog. Do some high volume for a while and really work out your form....You only been bending for 3 weeks so I am not sure what you expect...The cheat kink you are doing is also a very good tool, you can start reducing the amount of cheat you use each session this will also strengthen your start kink....Good luck and stay after it...Brett

ye, i relise the kink shouldnt be cake and all but...i cheat kinked a blue and crushed it pretty easy.. where as i cant even kink a yellow. so somthing is wrong here :laugh

Not always true, I can kink a 5.5in FBBC to 90 pretty consistently, it then gets way tougher. If you want to get better at bending then bend like a maddog. Do some high volume for a while and really work out your form....You only been bending for 3 weeks so I am not sure what you expect...The cheat kink you are doing is also a very good tool, you can start reducing the amount of cheat you use each session this will also strengthen your start kink....Good luck and stay after it...Brett

OK I agree with that too, IMO "again" from about 30d to 90d is easier than the kink and the final squeeze with any CRS seems much harder, I find the CRS never really gets easier whereas the HRS will heat quicker and get easier.....

I agree, a 5.5 looks like an "L" fairly easy, then it turns into one tough bastard to crush. OldGuy gave me his toughest gripper to practice the crush-down with, and it has worked.

I may add that I have been training with stainless steel bolts, and they go against the general rule of tougher steel bending in a tighter "V", as they bend in a really wide U and are very hard. I will post pics of this example soon.

Edited by mmainlands

I agree, a 5.5 looks like an "L" fairly easy, then it turns into one tough bastard to crush. OldGuy gave me his toughest gripper to practice the crush-down with, and it has worked.

I may add that I have been training with stainless steel bolts, and they go against the general rule of tougher steel bending in a tighter "V", as they bend in a really wide U and are very hard. I will post pics of this example soon.

I fully agree with the shorter the length the tougher the crush down in regards to the 4" Blue, 4.5" Grade 5 bolt and even the 4.5" & 4" x 5/16" HRS steel. I felt the kink went fairly easy compared to the sweep and crush mainly due to the fact you find yourself pushing in on the ends rather that against them because of their extremely short length and difficulty level of getting the best leverage and grip on them.

mmainlands I have often wondered about the stainless steel bolts when I would pass the their bins in the local hardware store. I need an expert opinion on where they stand in comparison with the Grade 5s and 8s and at what diameter is best suited for our endeavors progression?

I look forward to see the great things you will be doing in the future my friend. :D

GatorGrip

Gator,

Consider them the next step up in progression to what you are doing now. This is due to the fact that they are, in my opinion, as hard as FBBC stock, yet they bend in a wider "U" at the top. This is good practice for the crushdown, as it starts the same as other steel - but then gets much harder as the bend goes on. The "U" takes up alot of length, so the leverage is decreased. They are expensive at $1.80 a bolt for 6" x 5/16" here, but have been a good training aid for me, at 6" and 5.5" so far.

Gator,

Consider them the next step up in progression to what you are doing now.  This is due to the fact that they are, in my opinion, as hard as FBBC stock, yet they bend in a wider "U" at the top.  This is good practice for the crushdown, as it starts the same as other steel -  but then gets much harder as the bend goes on.  The "U" takes up alot of length, so the leverage is decreased.  They are expensive at $1.80 a bolt for 6" x 5/16" here, but have been a good training aid for me, at 6" and 5.5" so far.

in my area, i found any grades of bolts at either 6" or 8" for .60 to .80 cents a piece, would that be a decent price?

in my area, i found any grades of bolts at either 6" or 8" for .60 to .80 cents a piece, would that be a decent price?

I think that is a respectable price, but what do I know I started my bending journey here in Alaska only about 5 months ago and here in Alaska everything is expensive, especially in the interior where I live. I think I paid $ 1.10 a piece for a few Grade 8 1/4"x 6" bolts. Steel is much more reasonable than bolts by far but you have to be at a level to take advantage of the 1/4" Square CRS & 5/16" CRS Round first and then the technique of pre-kinking the lengths at varying degrees comes in to play.

Thanks for the training info mmainlands and keep up the radical metal mangling! :rock

Your Fellow Bending Bezerker!

Gator

Well after finding the techniqe that worked best for me(DO) and griping the ends of the bar i bent a yellow (my old pr) fairly easy and no bracing what so ever. :happy

if i can ever figure out how to ill put the pic in my galleryill post it up :)

EDIT: i cut the pic down quiet small and it sitll says its too big, hmmm :(

Edited by Oldtime

check out my ghetto pads   :shifty

Somebody made some shorts recently didn't they, whether they needed them or not. :D

I just swiped a dishtowel in the beginning but those Levi wraps look tougher than Robitussen cough syrup compared to my little white towel.

I have to believe that the proper fading of the jean material contributed much to your Yellow success. :laugh

Congratulations you are on your way. Now go bend a Blue Nail with those Blue Jeans buddy

Edited by GatorGrip

check out my ghetto pads  :shifty

Somebody made some shorts recently didn't they, whether they needed them or not. :D

I just swiped a dishtowel in the beginning but those Levi wraps look tougher than Robitussen cough syrup compared to my little white towel.

I have to believe that the proper fading of the jean material contributed much to your Yellow success. :laugh

Congratulations you are on your way. Now go bend a Blue Nail with those Blue Jeans buddy

actualy that fading on the jeans is chalk ;).

Its gunna be a while before i even attempt a blue i dont want to go to fast and mess anything up, ill attempt a blue in 3 weeks to a month hows that sound? :laugh

Edited by Oldtime

Just a quick update here, i did some bending earlier today (11 6" 3/16 square hrs) and a ton of levering, i wanted to practice my techniqe but i am out of 3/16 so i just tryd some 1/4 7" hrs and dominated two in less then ten seconds each! :rock

hopfully im well on my way to a legit blue nail :happy .

but i really think i need some moral support here, I told myself no bending for 2 whole days...5 hours later im at it again :(

- Oldtime :)

Edited by Oldtime

Just a quick update here, i did some bending earlier today (11 6" 3/16 square hrs) and a ton of levering, i wanted to practice my techniqe but i am out of 3/16 so i just tryd some 1/4 7" hrs and dominated two in less then ten seconds each! :rock

hopfully im well on my way to a legit blue nail  :happy .

but i really think i need some moral support here, I told myself no bending for 2 whole days...5 hours later im at it again  :(

- Oldtime  :)

:calm down and relax. take a breather and be patient. sometimes rest is the best. ;)

Edited by supermagnamon

Oldtime the fevers got you and you are melting down at the core. I know how fun reaching these goals of instant gratification is plus you get a souvenir to show for your efforts.

Dare I be the one to say this but as one steel addict to another you have got to let those tendons, ligaments and muscle tissue rebound from all this abuse you are subjecting them to. So if your hands are sore at all stop for a couple days or more if possible then go back and warm-up with a few easier bends then try for your max then go back and do some volume bending with stuff that is somewhat challenging but no more than 85% effort because you will get any injury or discouraged for sure if you try a volume session with a near all out max.

Remember you are still getting you groove and tweaking the technique you are experimenting with at the present time. Believe me when I tell you and I sure many others will agree after an ample recovery period you will comeback even stronger in most sessions especially in the beginning. Your gains will be quick and you will want to jump to the next level faster and faster until snap-crack-pop there went an injury that cold have been avoided and will force you to take an extended layoff from bending.

It is easy to get mesmerized and entranced with all these people shouting Extra Extra Read All About My Newest PR which is one reason this is fun and the board makes that possible. You must not fall for it and run to fast while it is still dark where you are and the sun comes up so will all aspects of your bending. Rome wasn't built in a day but once it had a solid foundation it was around along time and still is to this day. That is what you want to do for your hands, build them slow but solid and they will last a lifetime. Go at it like a bull in a China shop and you could get cut real bad. So bring some band-aids and take a breather and I bet you dimes to doughnuts you will do even better after some recovery.

Take Care Buddy

but i really think i need some moral support here, I told myself no bending for 2 whole days...5 hours later im at it again  :(

It takes discipline to get stronger, but it also takes discipline to stop bending once in a while! Better to stop now on your own than overdo it and be hurt for weeks.

Thanks guys, luckily im out of steel,aside from my few yellows and blues which i wont be bending.

and my bag of nails doesnt come till about tuesday, so im good to go! :laugh

What would you guys recommend as far as days of rest enbetween bending sessions?

thanks

- Oldtime :)

Edited by Oldtime

I have weak kink strength, but good crush strength :blink