Mentally Challenged Bender Interviewed

kerbjr

Did an impromtu demo/religous presentation for the local YMCA tonight, was supposed to be no big deal so I showed up with a bag of stuff and a loose idea of what I was going to speak about. Was feeling pretty good about it until the local news walks in and sets up a camara. Instantly I get lock jaw and cant even pronounce my name, :blush I nailed all of my demo stuff (nails, bolts, 6in wrench, 1500 page phonebook, skillet, etc) (fear is a great motivator for feats), but sounded totally retarded on the interview. I really hate it cause it coulda been some really good exposure for our group but I kinda blew it. I guess the point of this little post is always go prepared cause, you never know who is going to show up.... On a good note they want us to do a full show for them later in the year :D:D ...Makes me respect Big Steve even more for his abillity to keep his composure on nat TV..........All is not lost.......Peace........Brett

You'll do better next time

Hey Brett it has been well documented that on average 35% of all transmitted communication from one person or persons is verbal. The bulk (65%) of the communication is received by the listener/viewer in body language and actions.

So the age old cliche "Actions speek louder than words" is not just a guilt trip laid on you by your parents, spouse, or boss.

I think you did awesome to have completed all of those feats of strengths and enlighten the public about the art of strongman performance.

Don't over estimate your TV audience, I have appeared on local and national TV (Dateline NBC, BBC-British Broadcasting Company and CBS News while deployed to respond with Critical Incident Stress Debriefing within 24 hours of the August 1998 American Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya. Every day either myself, one of my colleagues on the special 7-person team from Germany or at least some of the Kenyan medical and clergy community that we trained appeared on local television. You know what people would approach me more for the fact I was a U.S. Army soldier than for what I was actually doing over there for humanitarian purposes.

The local nightly news scenario: A Man in his lazy boy chair is channel surfing and hit the local news running a clip of you bending something that just ain't supposed to be bent by human hands. The guys reply " Damn! :ohmy Honey come in hear there is this guy rolling up a frying pan you've go tot see this" the lady of the house and the son run in and see your performance "Holy Cow Dad! Can you do that? ” Wife responds "no he can't do that his butt is permanently glued to that chair and besides your dad has that remote control finger syndrome". The son chimes in "Oh heck look at him tear that phonebook dad! "Oh that ain't that hard I used to do that in college all the time. Wife " ha, prove it,” boy “yeah show her dad! Big daddy fires back "I sure as hell could do it!, :angry: Son go get me the phone book and run in the kitchen and grab a pan ".

Now about this time you are being interviewed "Whhaaa Whhaa wannttt Wah" all the family hear is dad huffing and puffing and you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to them. :upsidedwn

All they really caught and care about is those crazy things you are doing :blink and good ole Dad is just trying to defend his honor which by now he probably just wrinkling the phonebook and making excuses about how that must be an old phonebook you are tearing because no one could tear the new ones of today but Pop swears he used to do the old ones like a wet Kleenex in his prime. The kid is looking unsure by now and mom has headed back to the kitchen chuckling at his vein efforts.

You are now that bending man off TV and a local Wal-Mart celebrity or a real VIP at the grocery store where you could now be called upon at anytime to scroll something like one of those item separator sticks at the cash register or bend the bars of a shopping cart right in the produce section. :laugh

My comments in Kenya during an interview with the Associated Press actually landed in many large newspapers around the country form the Washington Post to the L.A. Times but you know what people actually remember? A TV clip me setting on the edge of a hospital bed holding a Kenyan man’s hand that was blinded in both eyes and injured from flying glass during the bomb blast or when I was seen walking through a hospital ward carrying a little 5 year old boy who one blinded in his left eye from piece of flying cement.

I want to be remembered for my actions not my words and so should you my friend. You did excellent and who knows how many seeds you planted in those who attended or seen you on TV.

:rockLets give it up for our newest Grip Strength Celebrity - :mosher Hey Clay - Brett is coming after your celebrity status. :tongue Today the local news and tomorrow late night television! :yikes

Hey Brett it has been well documented that on average 35% of all transmitted communication from one person or persons is verbal. The bulk (65%) of the communication is received by the listener/viewer in body language and actions.

So the age old cliche "Actions speek louder than words" is not just a guilt trip laid on you by your parents, spouse, or boss.

I think you did awesome to have completed all of those feats of strengths and enlighten the public about the art of strongman performance.

Don't over estimate your TV audience, I have appeared on local and national TV (Dateline NBC, BBC-British Broadcasting Company and CBS News while deployed to respond with Critical Incident Stress Debriefing within 24 hours of the August 1998 American Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya.  Every day either myself, one of my colleagues on the special 7-person team from Germany or at least some of the Kenyan medical and clergy community that we trained appeared on local television. You know what people would approach me more for the fact I was a U.S. Army soldier than for what I was actually doing over there for humanitarian purposes.

The local nightly news scenario: A Man in his lazy boy chair is channel surfing and hit the local news running a clip of you bending something that just ain't supposed to be bent by human hands. The guys reply " Damn!  :ohmy Honey come in hear there is this guy rolling up a frying pan you've go tot see this" the lady of the house and the son run in and see your performance "Holy Cow Dad! Can you do that?  ” Wife responds "no he can't do that his butt is permanently glued to that chair and besides your dad has that remote control finger syndrome". The son chimes in "Oh heck look at him tear that phonebook dad! "Oh that ain't that hard I used to do that in college all the time. Wife " ha, prove it,” boy “yeah show her dad! Big daddy fires back "I sure as hell could do it!, :angry: Son go get me the phone book and run in the kitchen and grab a pan ".

Now about this time you are being interviewed "Whhaaa Whhaa wannttt Wah" all the family hear is dad huffing and puffing and you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to them.  :upsidedwn

All they really caught and care about is those crazy things you are doing :blink  and good ole Dad is just trying to defend his honor which by now he probably just wrinkling the phonebook and making excuses about how that must be an old phonebook you are tearing because no one could tear the new ones of today but Pop swears he used to do the old ones like a wet Kleenex in his prime. The kid is looking unsure by now and mom has headed back to the kitchen chuckling at his vein efforts.

You are now that bending man off TV and a local Wal-Mart celebrity or a real VIP at the grocery store where you could now be called upon at anytime to scroll something like one of those item separator sticks at the cash register or bend the bars of a shopping cart right in the produce section. :laugh

My comments in Kenya during an interview with the Associated Press actually landed in many large newspapers around the country form the Washington Post to the L.A. Times but you know what people actually remember? A TV clip me setting on the edge of a hospital bed holding a Kenyan man’s hand that was blinded in both eyes and injured from flying glass during the bomb blast or when I was seen walking through a hospital ward carrying a little 5 year old boy who one blinded in his left eye from piece of flying cement.

I want to be remembered for my actions not my words and so should you my friend. You did excellent and who knows how many seeds you planted in those who attended or seen you on TV.

:rockLets give it up for our newest Grip Strength Celebrity -   :mosher  Hey Clay - Brett is coming after your celebrity status. :tongue  Today the local news and tomorrow late night television! :yikes

that's funny.

:D Gator, you kill me man........You need to be writing for somebodys comedy act somewhere....It actually turned out pretty good, the gal who interviewed me did some serious editing and actually only made me look half stupid, now that girl is the gifted one let me tell ya cause I gave her very little to work with....My favorite part was "to look at him you would never believe he can do the things he does " I guess that is the politically correct way to say I look like a wuss... :cry I am quite used to this statement now as it comes up at every show I am the small guy at 210 in our group, the next smallest guy is 280, but hey Im drinking milk and in a few years......................Thanks to all with the encouragement...Brett

Kerbjr you did fine i am sure of it.

Don't worry about it, you got to show your stuff on TV and the People will remember what you did not what you said.....or didn't say?

Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure you did fine.

"to look at him you would never believe he can do the things he does "

Don't worry about that either, most people are just ignorant when it comes to strength and believe that you need to be huge to be really strong. They don't understand what is possible with years of hard work. I say just take it as a compliment, it seems it was intended that way.

Brett, I had the same butterfly problem when I gave my little demo. My wife says I did great and couldn't tell I was about to pee my pants. :D