The Addiction Has Begun

TealGunner

WoooHooo. Well, after much contemplation I decided to try bending. I've been intrigued for some time, but wasn't sure if I had what it took to start something simple. I bought some 3/16" round stock at Home Depot. I assume it is HRS, but nothing on the label specifies.

I cut 7" x 3 and hammered each easily with a DU grip

So, here goes the 6" x 1 and nailed it just as easy.

Now it's time to get a little cocky, so I cut a 5" piece and it took a little more effort, but bent quite nicely.

So, since I only have 3/16" stock, I decided to cut a 4.5" piece. This took the most effort, but I managed to get it to around 1.75" across and way under the 2" standard.

I am now fully addicted to bending. I will continue to bend 3/16" since it provides a workout, but now I think it's time to start wrestling with 1/4".

To be honest, I was intimidated at first, but I guess the fundamental work I've been doing has paid off. Good leather wraps, levering with crowbars and axes at work and visualizing a solid bend. All this after reading all the bending articles and visiting Bender's website.

Man, I'm pumped.

Awesome!! You'll be bending yellows and blues in no time my friend!!! :bow

-Jon

cool. i'm addicted as well. after showing off some blue nails, i got my co-workers bending some greens for their first tries and now they have a momento of their first bend. keep up the good work.

WoooHooo. Well, after much contemplation I decided to try bending.

I almost cried when I read this! :cry

Congratulations and welcome to the Steel Brotherhood Chapter of the Addicted Benders Consortium "Do you know your ABCs?" :help

My clinical opinion is that you are now strung out on steel and my recommendation is at least 1 hour on the GripBoard daily and bump it up to 2 on the weekend If you feel yourself becoming drawn to the steel like a moth to a flame during your recovery period don't panic this is totally expected you are just having normal reactions to an abnormal hobby. My best advice is to use a Gump Therapy Crises Intervention- at this point run, run Forest run is a good reaction to this immense pressure that will build if you do not leave the area immediately because the steel will start talking to you and after the hallucinations kick in you are on your way to bending like an wild steel bending baboon and could very easily end up with a strain injury some type.

BAD MONKEY BAD MONKEY!

Go To This Site For Emergency Relief:

http://www.addictinggames.com/monkey.html

If you haven't spanked your monkey do it today it is fun but also very addictive so limit your slaps or time spanking your monkey. :ohmy

(my best was 627 Mph, I slapped it so hard they called the Humane Society on me!) :yikes

Remember stay out of slippery places like Hardware stores & Feed Stores that carry nails or Local Steel Suppliers & Welding Shops.

If you need me I am only a PM away and the first session is free, plus it comes with a complimentary 60-penny nail. :phone

Our goal in therapy is not to BREAK the Steel Addiction but to BEND it a little. :laugh

Dr. I.M. Gator :cool

Welcome to the club! :D

You entered a very strange and expensive hobby. :laugh

WoooHooo. Well, after much contemplation I decided to try bending.

I almost cried when I read this! :cry

Congratulations and welcome to the Steel Brotherhood Chapter of the Addicted Benders Consortium "Do you know your ABCs?" :help

My clinical opinion is that you are now strung out on steel and my recommendation is at least 1 hour on the GripBoard daily and bump it up to 2 on the weekend If you feel yourself becoming drawn to the steel like a moth to a flame during your recovery period don't panic this is totally expected you are just having normal reactions to an abnormal hobby. My best advice is to use a Gump Therapy Crises Intervention- at this point run, run Forest run is a good reaction to this immense pressure that will build if you do not leave the area immediately because the steel will start talking to you and after the hallucinations kick in you are on your way to bending like an wild steel bending baboon and could very easily end up with a strain injury some type.

BAD MONKEY BAD MONKEY!

Go To This Site For Emergency Relief:

http://www.addictinggames.com/monkey.html

If you haven't spanked your monkey do it today it is fun but also very addictive so limit your slaps or time spanking your monkey. :ohmy

(my best was 627 Mph, I slapped it so hard they called the Humane Society on me!) :yikes

Remember stay out of slippery places like Hardware stores & Feed Stores that carry nails or Local Steel Suppliers & Welding Shops.

If you need me I am only a PM away and the first session is free, plus it comes with a complimentary 60-penny nail. :phone

Our goal in therapy is not to BREAK the Steel Addiction but to BEND it a little. :laugh

Dr. I.M. Gator :cool

Gator, he can do what I do and spent 4-5 hours a day waiting in the chat! :laugh

Ok, well, maybe I need to get a real life...but this one is so much better!!! :yikes

haha

-Jon

When we get together, we'll turn you into a leather wrapping folding cheater in no time! ;)

Bending really is addicting. Harder than bending the nails is NOT bending the nails.

When we get together, we'll turn you into a leather wrapping folding cheater in no time! ;)

Bending really is addicting.  Harder than bending the nails is NOT bending the nails.

Clay is right, as usual. Its hard to rest, because you just want to bend.

-Jon

I'm guilty of this... I should be resting my wrist, but I got some IM pads in the mail thismorning and bought some extra nails yesterday... You can guess what happened next. :(:laugh

i went to lowes today and bought some 3/16 cold rolled stock, bent the 6 inch and then bent the 5 inch, im holding off but its tough not to keep bending till i hit what i cant, i know i should work on easy stuff for awhile to get the technique down but dammit, its midnight and i wanna bend somethin!

I am really starting to get the hang of this addiction. I went out and bought some 1/4" HRS, but haven't dug in yet. I'm still reveling in my newest addiction. Clay, you are right, and I can't wait to get together. Oh yeah, I'm a fast learner. Thanks.

at least you guys are bending nails!!!

i still have to bend the handles off of the dining hall knives. :D

they are like 4.5-5"...but i think i got my technique down....hopefully i will be ready when i step into my first 'official bend.' i think the staff is getting pissed at me though for jacking all of these knives--they started taking em away during dinner :erm

can somebody out there please try this also and let me know how hard it is comparative to an IM nail?

but don't blame me if your mother, wife, girlfriend, or dining hall staff comes after you: proceed at your own risk :cool

I still have to bend the handles off of the dining hall knives. 

they are like 4.5-5"...but i think i got my technique down....hopefully i will be ready when i step into my first 'official bend.' i think the staff is getting pissed at me though for jacking all of these knives--they started taking em away during dinner 

diesel shame on you for bending all those butter knives it is rebels like you that make college tuition so costly and you thought is was to for the football teams to be able to buy good players and then pay professors to give them a passing grade or get the struggling scholars to do their homework for them. :yikes

Uh oh here comes a lynch mob of die hard College Football Fanatics (that refuse to believe this happens) after me - Should I run or just reload? :trout:flame

If you sent me a knife I would bend it if I received a paid receipt from your campus for that eating utensil (not to be corn-fused as bending stock) I have heard the cliché "Like a hot knife through butter" but I think they meant hot as in heat not hot as in stolen. :laugh

Oh and does your mother know you are destroying silverware?

I am sure you are more than ready to warp some 1/4" steel but start where you feel you are, but I bet you will surprise yourself.

Take Care but don't Take anymore butter knives. :whistel

Your Fellow Bending Buddy

:Gator

you have my word as a fellow bending buddy:

no more butter knives ;)

tomorrow i leave for home from college, and it's off to home depot for me

now it's game time :rock

Welcome to the tight brotherhood of the insane benders, My Father can't understand why anyone would want to bend a perfectly good bolt or nail since he straightens all his bent ones to use again, we're weird and we love it. Welcome again.