A New Black Log

Tom Black

On the lower gripper strap holds with super heavy weight, what held me back is wrist strain.

For strap holds, I believe you basically need to be able to close the gripper down to just above the strap (pause), put the strap in place, clamp the gripper and SQUEEZE! :)

Tom, what material are you using for the strap? I have used a thin nylon strap and anything over thirty pounds feels really heavy even with the Trainer. I may have better luck with a cotton shoe lace.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Tom,

I would say that you will probably not be able to close the #3 doing only strap holds with the #1. When I first closed the #3 I needed a few weeks of singels (in addition to strap holds) on the #3 to build enough sweep strength to close it. Give the strapholds a few months of time to do their job and then start adding a couple of attempts with a #3 AFTER the strap holds. When you can get it down to about 2 mm you will probably be able to close it when you try it before rather than after the strapholds. Until then I would, however recommend to do the #3 attempts after the strap holds. Otherwise the #3 attempts will take away too much strength so that you will do poorly with the strapholds. One could of course do #3 attempts after the strap holds all the time but this would not produce the peak in power that at least enabled me to close the #3.

Cheers

That sounds about right regarding the #3 after strapholds.  I've already added one set of strapholds with the number 2, but still feel the heavy set with the #1 hits the muscles better.  I'm still not feeling myself after the flu I had so it was hard to judge in the last workout if I'm really getting stronger on these.  I am also using a thin Nylon strap.

Use a tiny rubber band to hold the strap to the gripper handle. It will fit in the groove around the handle. It will allow the strap to slip out if you are not squeezing hard enough.

That sounds like a good idea.  I should mention that the tape I'm using allows the weight to fall easily, I barely wrap it around the entire handle.  With all the chalk on the handle the tape barely holds the strap.  I'll try the rubber band idea in my next workout.