First Red Try

Lyle

I got 25 Reds from IM the other day and even though I knew I wouldn't bend it I had to try. after some easy warm ups I ripped into it only to have it rip into me.

in the end I was played out and the only damage the Red had was that when I rolled it across a table it wobbled. but I know if I can get this much now I'll get the rest later.......maybe alot later.

I got 25 Reds from IM the other day and even though I knew I wouldn't bend it I had to try. after some easy warm ups I ripped into it only to have it rip into me.

in the end I was played out and the only damage the Red had was that when I rolled it across a table it wobbled. but I know if I can get this much now I'll get the rest later.......maybe alot later.

Hey, attempting it is the first step! :happy

You'll have it shortly, and then you get to rub it all of our faces!! :yikes

haha

-Jon

good going lyle it seems like everyone is starting over again with the ironmind certs using there wraps i'm going to send for a set but in my mind i know the red wont bend for quite a while :D

My bending brother I feel your pain and I still am in pain from my 100 day Red attempt. I like you tore into that bad boy and it tore into me and so my never say die and quitting is not an option soldier mentality kicked in and I just kept hitting my new nemesis and for every millimeter I bent it, it hurt me a little more until. I threw it across my basement in my child like tantrum. What was the result as Red nail that will never roll again and some tore up shoulders and wrists. I am still not healed up yet and that has caused me to suffer on all lesser bends. I let myself get discouraged because I felt like I had let those down who believed in me and even sent me a Red to bend. I have a little 3 bar holder above my bending board and it usually holds my next 3 goals for bending. I have cleared that thing and reloaded it on a several occasions. It once help a Yellow & Blue which fell, followed by Grade 5s 6", 5.5", 5" and 4.5" which I was blessed to bend. Then there was the Grade 8 and Grade 9 and Red. Well the Grade 8 6" and the Grade 9 6" fell think God. Now it hold the Big Red, and Grade 8 5.5" and 5" all three are kinked (funny the Gr 8 5" is kinked much more than the 5.5") but not enough for me to get into the sweep phase YET! I have had to really resist trying them again and have fell pray to that Red a few more times but the pain is immense and the Red seems frozen in time. I did let my bending addiction get to me and bent 4 pieces of 5/16" x 7" CRS bars a varying pre-kinked levels (Degrees at start 86, 93, 120, 130) and the next ones to be bent are a 150 and a Red 166 degree pre-kinked bar, which I am constantly fighting the urge to try. I have got myself to the point where last night I just had to bend something and had a Blue 1/4" x6" CRS and to my dismay I kinked it but had to quite. So I am really worried that when our fellow board member Titan gets here on his vacation to Alaska that I may fail him by not being able to bend anything. This would absolutely SUCK! For both of us (my honor & ego and his expectations would be smashed) so I am going to just pray, rest the next two days and do my very best even if it hurts me so I can at least show him a couple technique pointers and bend a Yellow, Blue and hopefully at least a 60d nail to take back as motivators to display showing that yes they can be bent, kind of like Greg Amidon has done for a few with Reds.

Don't worry Lyle with your determination you will bend that Red enemy, just don't make the same mistake I did by jumping on it to soon and letting my ego get me injured. A hard lesson learned but I needed to go to remedial training several times before I got it through my thick skull. Some people only need the soft touch of a feather to get something and some like me need a 2x4 to the back of the cranium before they have an epiphany! :trout

Your Bending Buddy (in recovery) :(

GatorGrip

Edited by GatorGrip

My bending brother I feel your pain and I still am in pain from my 100 day Red attempt. I like you tore into that bad boy and it tore into me and so my never say die and quitting is not an option soldier mentality kicked in and I just kept hitting my new nemesis and for every millimeter I bent it, it hurt me a little more until. I threw it across my basement in my child like tantrum. What was the result as Red nail that will never roll again and some tore up shoulders and wrists. I am still not healed up yet and that has caused me to suffer on all lesser bends. I let myself get discouraged because I felt like I had let those down who believed in me and even sent me a Red to bend. I have a little 3 bar holder above my bending board and it usually holds my next 3 goals for bending. I have cleared that thing and reloaded it on a several occasions. It once help a Yellow & Blue which fell, followed by Grade 5s 6", 5.5", 5" and 4.5" which I was blessed to bend. Then there was the Grade 8 and Grade 9 and Red. Well the Grade 8 6" and the Grade 9 6" fell think God. Now it hold the Big Red, and Grade 8 5.5" and 5" all three are kinked (funny the Gr 8 5" is kinked much more than the 5.5") but not enough for me to get into the sweep phase YET! I have had to really resist trying them again and have fell pray to that Red a few more times but the pain is immense and the Red seems frozen in time. I did let my bending addiction get to me and bent 4 pieces of 5/16" x 7" CRS bars a varying pre-kinked levels (Degrees at start 86, 93, 120, 130) and the next ones to be bent are a 150 and a Red 166 degree pre-kinked bar, which I am constantly fighting the urge to try. I have got myself to the point where last night I just had to bend something and had a Blue 1/4" x6" CRS and to my dismay I kinked it but had to quite. So I am really worried that when our fellow board member Titan gets here on his vacation to Alaska that I may fail him by not being able to bend anything. This would absolutely SUCK! For both of us (my honor & ego and his expectations would be smashed) so I am going to just pray, rest the next two days and do my very best even if it hurts me so I can at least show him a couple technique pointers and bend a Yellow, Blue and hopefully at least a 60d nail to take back as motivators to display showing that yes they can be bent, kind of like Greg Amidon has done for a few with Reds.

Don't worry Lyle with your determination you will bend that Red enemy, just don't make the same mistake I did by jumping on it to soon and letting my ego get me injured. A hard lesson learned but I needed to go to remedial training several times before I got it through my thick skull. Some people only need the soft touch of a feather to get something and some like me need a 2x4 to the back of the cranium before they have an epiphany!  :trout

Your Bending Buddy (in recovery) :(

GatorGrip

Hey Gatorgrip, Don't worry for a moment about what you need to bend for my girls. It will be an honor just meeting a man of honor! I have no one in my immediate area to meet with in person to discuss grip, bend and pinch stuff. Plus as you will soon find out, I am surrounded by a bunch of girls with little to no guy stuff in my life (until I found you bunch of great guys on the GripBoard).

I have some stuff I will be bringing up and if it means just enjoying a dinner at Dennys and me devouring their Sampler then that will be just fine.. The main thing I want from you is "technique". They say " a picture is worth a thousand words", well I'm not sure if that holds true with bending technique. I want someone watching me and arranging my elbows and so forth. I can bend that stupid Yellow braced but not unbraced. I must admitt (not as an excuse or copout) that I have probably only had a total of 7 bending sessions TOTAL. I have been fighting this flu thing that has now manifested into a case of bronchitis. Lets hope Gods country (Alaska) will help cure it! Lord willin we will be seeing you Wed night. I do have your phone numbers. See You soon Gator. Titan

Hehe,

that somehow reminds me of my first attempts on the Red.

Don't worry!

There will be a time, sooner or later, when you consider a Red as not THAT hard to bend.

And believe me, I'm still in the same boat as you are:

I can bend a Red quite easily right now, but I can't even kink one using the IM pads.

But I will and someday it will be not THAT hard.

Keep the good work Lyle!

As has been said, it's the fact that you tried it that makes the difference here, Lyle! Now you've gotten a taste for it, and even if it shoots you down at first you know you'll come back for it later and make it for real. If I'd let my failed attempt get to me I'd have tossed my bending gear in the trash, but I'm just using the terribly tiny kink I made as fuel for the fire to make my June attempt that much sweeter. Just work that volume on G5s of all lengths, 60ds and G8s and sooner or later it'll come to you!

VeGripper

I can bend a Red quite easily right now, but I can't even kink one using the IM pads.

is it the difference really that noticeable?!?! :cry

As has been said, it's the fact that you tried it that makes the difference here, Lyle!  Now you've gotten a taste for it, and even if it shoots you down at first you know you'll come back for it later and make it for real.  If I'd let my failed attempt get to me I'd have tossed my bending gear in the trash, but I'm just using the terribly tiny kink I made as fuel for the fire to make my June attempt that much sweeter.  Just work that volume on G5s of all lengths, 60ds and G8s and sooner or later it'll come to you!

VeGripper

thanks all for the support, I'm gonna hit it hard tonight and suceed or fail I will go back to volume bending, VeGripper funny you should mention it, I picked up another 25 G5's the other day so I'm gonna focus on them until they feel like a warmup then give it another go.

Yes it is, I think everyone you can bend a Red with leather pads will second this.

But its only a matter of time from progressing to the IM pads then.

is it the difference really that noticeable?!?! :cry

I agree w/ Jon.

after 3 weeks of nail bending, i'm only at the blue nail. after how long should i jump to the red nail, per say? btw, after going thru almost all of the gallery, i finally know how to use my im pads, since i've been working w/ them for about a week. i've done most of my bending with nothing. how foolish of me? no pads, no progression.

after 3 weeks of nail bending, i'm only at the blue nail. after how long should i jump to the red nail, per say?

3 weeks of bending and being at the blue nail is better than most I've heard from! I'd consider that to be pretty good progress, but the Red Nail is a whole different world and may take quite some time to get to. Before even thinking about bending one of them, get some G5s between 5 and 6", 60ds in the same range, G8s and 1/4" square and work those for a few months before you consider going for the red. As has been said by many before, even when bending harder stuff like G8s is an easy task, the Red can humble you in an instant because it really is that tough. Take your time, work volume on the in-between stock, keep yourself injury-free and in a few months, tackle that Red!

VeGripper

after 3 weeks of nail bending, i'm only at the blue nail. after how long should i jump to the red nail, per say?

3 weeks of bending and being at the blue nail is better than most I've heard from! I'd consider that to be pretty good progress, but the Red Nail is a whole different world and may take quite some time to get to. Before even thinking about bending one of them, get some G5s between 5 and 6", 60ds in the same range, G8s and 1/4" square and work those for a few months before you consider going for the red. As has been said by many before, even when bending harder stuff like G8s is an easy task, the Red can humble you in an instant because it really is that tough. Take your time, work volume on the in-between stock, keep yourself injury-free and in a few months, tackle that Red!

VeGripper

Yup, it's really that tough, I can easily knock off a G5 6" but not even kink a Red using hands, knees, chest and whatever else I have. it's even hard to cheat kink with two foot long pieces of pipe.