How To Kink?

diesel

hey guys,

i usually post in the grip section because that has been my first attraction and addiction in hand related strength activities, but very recently i have been dabbing into the bending section.

now all i have bent are the handles off of dining hall knives, just practicing my initial form down. i have also read morton and gamidon's article on dieselcrew, and found that quite helpful. i prob won't get real into it till summer starts rolling and some of my grip goals are complete, but i want to get this one aspect down.

how do you guys kink your bars? looking at multiple videos, there is a large variance in style...DO, with it in your stomach, etc, etc....is it personal preference, is there a set list of ways to do it?

thanx for the help. i can smell some nice bending success down the road...hopefully as much as i have had gripping.

btw, the handles off the knives are about 5", so i am trying to get as close as possible now to the real thing before summer begins (and i hit up home depot)

Everyone has unique body geometry, and something that works really well for one person won't work at all for another. You need to try all the styles and find the strongest position for you.

Personally I would suggest either Double overhand at chin height (Clay Edgin has fantastic videos of this style in his gallery) or what I like to call Godfrey Style. (Found in detail at Eric's site at Eric Godfrey)

Keep trying, and you will find a position that works for you. Have fun.

Edited by Left Side

Thanks for the link of Eric Godfrey.. There is a LOT of useful information there!! Very nice site!

For me, it always starts with a DU kink, then a quick flip to DO crushdown while the bar is still hot. If I hit it well, it'll kink 40-60 degrees on the first hit before I flip it over, if it isn't a great initial kink I just flip it anyway and try to DO bend as best I can. I suck at starting DO so I always feel the need to kink DU, but I only take one shot because if the first one misses, I've found that the 2nd one will miss as well. But, that's just me!

VeGripper

cool...thanx for the help guys.

godfrey's site was pretty spectacular. :cool

but i couldn't find the videos that clay did of bending--i saw lots of tearing and grip and some bending photos, but none of a bend in progress :unsure

For me, it always starts with a DU kink, then a quick flip to DO crushdown while the bar is still hot.  If I hit it well, it'll kink 40-60 degrees on the first hit before I flip it over, if it isn't a great initial kink I just flip it anyway and try to DO bend as best I can.  I suck at starting DO so I always feel the need to kink DU, but I only take one shot because if the first one misses, I've found that the 2nd one will miss as well.  But, that's just me!

VeGripper

That's not just you, that also describes me to a tee, I get one shot DU to kink or it won't get kinked.

Here's the video of Clay's bend.

Clay's Gallery

It's at the bottom right.

sweet.