Still Can't Bend The Yellow Nail.

chrisshirling

I had trouble bending the yellow after I finished the whtie and the greens, so as suggested by the board I started bending spikes.

I went through a bucket of 6 inch hot galvenized spikes from Home Depot. They had the green label and were made in China. They did not seem particularly hard but they were harder than the green.

I still cannot even kink the yellow. It feels unmoveable.

Can anyone suggest another nail that will help me on the quest for the yellow?

Thanks!

I had trouble bending the yellow after I finished the whtie and the greens, so as suggested by the board I started bending spikes.

I went through a bucket of 6 inch hot galvenized spikes from Home Depot. They had the green label and were made in China. They did not  seem particularly hard but they were harder than the green.

Thanks!

I never bent Timber Ties but my progression went like this.

3/16" CRS Round

3/16" CRS Square1/4" HRS Round Dont waste your money I bent lengths from 8" down to 5" in a as fast as I could cut it, I later went back to complete my collection and bent a 4" piece

1/4" HRS Square This is what I would try next.

Then on to the

1/4" CRS Round roughly equivelant to a Yellow at 7" & Blue at 6"

Hope this helps chrisshirling ;)

GatorGrip

I went through a bucket of 6 inch hot galvenized spikes from Home Depot. They had the green label and were made in China. They did not  seem particularly hard but they were harder than the green.

Thanks!

3/16" CRS Round

3/16" CRS Square1/4" HRS Round Dont waste your money I bent lengths from 8" down to 5" in a as fast as I could cut it, I later went back to complete my collection and bent a 4" piece

Then on to the

GatorGrip

How long should the 1/4" HRS Square be, Gator?

Thanks!

Thanks!

3/16" CRS Round

Then on to the

GatorGrip

How long should the 1/4" HRS Square be, Gator?

Thanks!

I started with a 7" and went down to a 5" length now I cut off and inch at a time but there is nothing wrong with cutting it down by 1/4" or 1/2" as you feel stronger.

I also have another resource for you to look at before you run by a bunch of steel. A word of Caution- Don't go out and buy a boat load of the HRS 1/4" Round or Square as you will probably move faster than you think in your progression of bending. Go to a local Steel Supplier because you will pay much less for much longer pieces 20' or 12' lengths normally but they will usually cut them down to more transportable pieces and then once your home the take your bolt cutters and cut of that 7" length and try it first, if it is a challenge stay with that length for a bit but my point here is don't waste your steel by cutting it all into a certain length right off the bat say at 7" because you may find it real easy and move right on to 6" piece that is more challenging which means that you can bent it or almost bend it to completion but you have to put effort out thus making it good for training building strength while maintaining and honing your preferred bending technique.

Try this link of Yield Strengths of Different Bending Stocks, Nails and Bolts

From this you can see several options for progression between say a Green nail and a Yellow and then on to the Blue all the way to the Red nail and beyond.

http://home.insight.rr.com/strongman/yields2.html

This should give you a good resource for the future so I would add it to my favorites list off sites.

Gator :cool

Good Luck and remember LUCK is when Preparation meets Opportunity!

You might want to prekink the yellow to a point where you can bend it, and get used to the feel of finishing it off. Gradually the amount of bend you need should decrease.

Thanks!

what are you wrapping with might be a pain barrier you should be able to press as hard as you want with no pain at least thats what i like to do good luck you will get that nail soon an old pair of jeans will make good wraps if you don't have leather :D

interesting. :blink

Thanks!

what are you wrapping with might be a pain barrier you should be able to press as hard as you want with no pain at least thats what i like to do good luck you will get that nail soon an old pair of jeans will make good wraps if you don't have leather :D

Hmmmmm, Jeans, now that is very interesting and does make alot of sense. Thanks for the insights on alternative wrapping. Titan

Thanks!

The blue IM pads. Pain is not an issue. It feels like my wrists are going to explode when I attack the yellow.

I kinked a few on my friends hydrolic press and even kinked I could still not budge them.

jeans eh never thought of that. good idea.

i think u should go with the zinc plated 1/4 round and try some 7''ers

they will be easier and u can work up to the yellow

"It feels like my wrists are going to explode when I attack the yellow."

Have you been doing lever bar work to strengthen your wrists? This is critical to bending strength.

Here's a helpful link; Lever Work

I dunno man, just keep giving your max effort, the Cheat kink thing works good, and remember not all of us can progress as fast as Gator. :D

What technique do you use?

That might help us in determining what advice to give you.

If you are using DO, maybe try reverse grip style for lots of volume with timber ties to increase wrist strength. DU for volume would strengthen the wrists a lot too.

Or again, if you are using DO, it could be that you have technique that could be improved. Most people I've seen just don't get it at first because they don't have the flexiblity or strength in that position. They also don't push on the ends enough, they try to muscle it with their wrists. It has to be a combination of force on the ends and a wrist twist.

What technique do you use? 

That might help us in determining what advice to give you.

If you are using DO, maybe try reverse grip style for lots of volume with timber ties to increase wrist strength.  DU for volume would strengthen the wrists a lot too. 

Or again, if you are using DO, it could be that you have technique that could be improved.  Most people I've seen just don't get it at first because they don't have the flexiblity or strength in that position.  They also don't push on the ends enough, they try to muscle it with their wrists.  It has to be a combination of force on the ends and a wrist twist.

I think you may possibly be right.

When I bend, it is all about my wrists. When I cannot bend something it is because I cannot transfer the power through my wrists, or the nail breaks my grip.

When I see people bend DO, they have the nail at their neck level with their arms out parralel to the ground. For some reason I cannot do this, and when I go DO, the nail is at my sternum, about a foot down from my neck.

I tried DU, but once again, all about the wrists.

When I see people bend DO, they have the nail at their neck level with their arms out parralel to the ground. For some reason I cannot do this, and when I go DO, the nail is at my sternum, about a foot down from my neck.

Everyone has a different position that gives them the most power and efficiency. For some it's at neck level, but for you, it's at sternum level. Don't feel this is wrong, if it works for you, then go with it.

Everyone has a different position that gives them the most power and efficiency. For some it's at neck level, but for you, it's at sternum level. Don't feel this is wrong, if it works for you, then go with it.

i agree with left side. u're going to have to go with the technique that is strongest for u. ;)

One thing that I learned from PLing is to attack the weight, even it it's not moving, and eventually you will move the weight. I remember once doing chain suspended good mornings the weight was getting quite high, more than I've ever done. The guys training with me keep saying, "Whatever you do, don't stop pushing, the weight will start to move after about 10 seconds". So, I pushed and pushed and pushed and right before I felt like I was going to black out, wouldn't you know it, the damn weight shot right up.

I got my yellows today and after trying to bend one unsuccessfully, I just attacked it as long as my hands and wrists could take the pain. The nail actually bent a bit, not enough to finish, but I got it moving. Try it next time, just don't stop until you can't handle the pressure...you might activate that extra muscle fiber that you need.

One thing that I learned from PLing is to attack the weight, even it it's not moving, and eventually you will move the weight.  I remember once doing chain suspended good mornings the weight was getting quite high, more than I've ever done.  The guys training with me keep saying, "Whatever you do, don't stop pushing, the weight will start to move after about 10 seconds".  So, I pushed and pushed and pushed and right before I felt like I was going to black out, wouldn't you know it, the damn weight shot right up. 

I got my yellows today and after trying to bend one unsuccessfully, I just attacked it as long as my hands and wrists could take the pain.  The nail actually bent a bit, not enough to finish, but I got it moving.  Try it next time, just don't stop until you can't handle the pressure...you might activate that extra muscle fiber that you need.

sweet. never give in to the pain and never give up. gl on u're quest to bending the yellow. ;)

One thing that I learned from PLing is to attack the weight, even it it's not moving, and eventually you will move the weight.  I remember once doing chain suspended good mornings the weight was getting quite high, more than I've ever done.  The guys training with me keep saying, "Whatever you do, don't stop pushing, the weight will start to move after about 10 seconds".  So, I pushed and pushed and pushed and right before I felt like I was going to black out, wouldn't you know it, the damn weight shot right up. 

I got my yellows today and after trying to bend one unsuccessfully, I just attacked it as long as my hands and wrists could take the pain.  The nail actually bent a bit, not enough to finish, but I got it moving.  Try it next time, just don't stop until you can't handle the pressure...you might activate that extra muscle fiber that you need.

I totally disagree with this. Sounds like a great way to hurt yourself, especially on bending, which seems a bit easier than squatting, dl'ing, OHP'ing, or benching.

Anyway, I kinked the yellow a few days back to. I should be able to completely bench one in 1-2 weeks.

My #3 is getting close too. Maybe in 1-2 months : P

i dont' totally disagree with it, i don't know if i'd do it on good mornings, but benching and squats for sure! and bending, well as greg's article engrains into your mind..........you have to UNLOAD on that beast

so for bending I agree to give it your all on a max attempt as long as your not going to do damage

but wrist pain and hand pain are different as hand pain could be from the bar digging

i agree don't push through wrist pain