At Last....timber Ties!

Justin Reagan

I went to Home Depot and finally got some TT's. 30 lb. box of them. Also got some 5" x 1/4" carriage bolts. I assume they were Grade 2 (there's nothing lower is there?) because there were no grade numbers on them. Anyway, I had a little bending workout after I got home. 2 of the bolts and 15 of the timber ties. When you guys talk about volume training, what do y'all mean? More than 3 or 4?

Also, I've never really said anything about my bending style. I've began using the "folding" style of bending. When I bent the yellow nail before, I actually kinked it using DU, and finished it with DO (using more wrist strength than folding, I assume). I've found that at the moment, I can't bend a timber tie using either other method. I'll have to stick with 3/16" steel with those right now, as I want to practice all the major styles at least a little bit.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

I went to Home Depot and finally got some TT's. 30 lb. box of them. Also got some 5" x 1/4" carriage bolts. I assume they were Grade 2 (there's nothing lower is there?) because there were no grade numbers on them. Anyway, I had a little bending workout after I got home. 2 of the bolts and 15 of the timber ties. When you guys talk about volume training, what do y'all mean? More than 3 or 4?

Also, I've never really said anything about my bending style. I've began using the "folding" style of bending. When I bent the yellow nail before, I actually kinked it using DU, and finished it with DO (using more wrist strength than folding, I assume). I've found that at the moment, I can't bend a timber tie using either other method. I'll have to stick with 3/16" steel with those right now, as I want to practice all the major styles at least a little bit.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

When I did only ties I would do 10-20 per session, I wanted to do more, and could have, but I only had a 5lb box and didn't want to use half of them in one session, haha.

It seems a lot of guys make the kink with DU and then finish with DO. I can't even kink the tie using DO, but I can bend a Blue using DU for the entire bend. I can see where you'd want to practice all the style, and I might get some 3/16" to practice DO technique, but I think you should find out which one your best with and work with that the most, and then as you progress with that practice with the others more. Im not that experienced a bender though, so I don't know if what I say will mean anything :D.

Also, when I first started bending, I could only get a slight kink in the TTs, but I could nail a few of them one week after I started, and I only bent a few 3/16" CRS ranging from 6.5"-4.5".

-Jon