Newbie grip training frequency question

Guest tdogrppage

Guest tdogrppage

I am just curious how often everyone on here does grip work.  I currently work out with the CoC grippers, once, twice a week with other days doing wrist work and block training.  I probably trained on average 4 days a week or even more sometimes.  I am currently experiencing trouble with the CoC grippers and I believe it may be to overtraining.  

When I first received my CoC #1, I couldn't close it once despite having a fairly strong upper body.  After training on it and buying MoHS, I can now close it 30 times on a good day, although it doesn't quite feel as tough as it used to be.  I have on two occasions now closed the #2 about 3 or 4 times for one rep, I even got a picture to prove to myself that I did it.  But now, I can't close it anymore.  I am about 1/8 of an inch away every time.  I believe it may be because of too much training as both times when I did close it I had 4-5 days rest of no specific gripwork at all.  I go to the gym almost every day on top of my gripwork and notice that my hands get a fair amount of exercise by doing heavy shrugs, pulldowns, and certain types of dumbell work.  I guess the muscles in the hands don't respond like some of the larger muscle groups do and need more rest.  Has anyone else experienced this with the gripers of being able to close them only every once in a while?  Thanks for the advice.

Guest liquidtheorems

I like this so far.  I do my pinching, lower arm work and support work on Wednesdays and then on Sunday I do a CoC workout.  

For CoC I start with the best I can do with each hand until failure then step down and continue till I can't close the lowest gripper I have once.  Well I stop if I can't get 20 reps on the #1 with the right hand but my right is much stronger than my left.

Bob

You are overtraining.  Cut the grip work to two times per week, and NOT on the same days that you use your hands (you work out EVERYDAY?).  Also, stop the reps.  Train for straight crushing to build your grip strength.