First Bending Day

thanatopsis

http://arawndark0.tripod.com/pictures/my_c..._shit/nails.jpg

Hopefully the link works...

The above are the results of my first try at bending. IIRC the largest nail is a "12D common nail" as labelled on the box. Not really sure how thick that is or what, but you can get a good idea from the picture. It was pretty hard to bend, though!

PS: I went back and bent the large nail more after the picture was taken.

Edited by thanatopsis

I did not get the link to work but I know how big a 12 d is, kind of thin but also really short. Pretty cool bendng stuff like that but if your goal is to bend 60ds, grade 5s, grade 8s and red nails and beyond you should get your hands on some round and square bar stock. Hot or cold rolled, start with 3/16 square and cut it to 6 or 7" lengths and go from there. Don't buy a lot to start with until you find out where you are, if 3/16 square is too hard go to the 3/16 round.

Also do some research and check out the videos and photos. And get yourself some good wraps.

Volume is the key and expect it to hurt, but thats okay, it won't kill you.

Good luck with your bending and have fun with it.

you're started. now you see why benders are never satisfied, we always are seeking shorter, and thicker stock to bend.

you're started. now you see why benders are never satisfied, we always are seeking shorter, and thicker stock to bend.

Yah, I really enjoyed the challenge!

I've been tearing for a while and have been doing quite well, up to 1000 page phone-books so far, and I thought I'd try some of the other grip activities.

Hopefully I can manage bending / tearing with my weight training routine. My weekend bending really hurt my dead-lift this week, I damn near dropped the bar due to tired hands!

I checked out your photos and those little nails look pretty cool bent. I think I will try that out this weekend. How did you gt those bent? Did you just use your index finger and your thumb on each hand our what, just curious of your technique.

Great job.

I checked out your photos and those little nails look pretty cool bent. I think I will try that out this weekend. How did you gt those bent? Did you just use your index finger and your thumb on each hand our what, just curious of your technique.

Great job.

I held the base of the nail wrapped up in leather in my left hand and pretty much pressed it over my left index finger, using it sort of like a fulcrum, with my right palm (also protected with leather).

I'd be interested in other techniques for bending as well since my method involves alot of pressure on my left index finger!