More Steel Questions

Justin Reagan

I recently bought some 3' lengths of round steel at the local hardware store. It was 3/16" CRS. I tried cutting it into 5" sections, so I could have the rough equivalent of the IM green nail. The pieces were WAY too easy. I ended up cutting it into 4" pieces. I breezed through about 7 of these, without too much difficulty. The last piece was strange though. I could barely kink it, no matter how hard I tried. Does steel bought from the same place really vary that much? It ended up costing me about $1.29 per 3 foot length. Is that expensive? I tried to find a steel company where I could buy it, as per the suggestions of many other board members, but there's not one anywhere near. I also have looked at both of the hardware stores in town for nails to bend, but neither of them have much of a selection of nails longer than 3 1/2". The only thing I found was some 6" "pole barn" (??) galvanized 60d nails. The area I live in is just very lacking in bending materials. Also, is HRS really easier than CRS? The reason I ask, is because I have heard many people say that bending 7" X 1/4" HRS is easier than bending an IM yellow nail (which I've heard is CRS). I bought some 1/4" HRS and tried a 7" and even an 8" piece, and I couldn't even put a kink in them, as I can the yellow nail. I'm just trying to work up to the yellow again using easier steel, but I haven't found much I can use. Any suggestions? (and I hope all this made sense)

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

thats about the same price I paid at Lowe's for 3/16" CRS. I don't remember how much 1/4" HRS and CRS was, but its really too expensive, but if you don't have a steel retailer near, then its better than nothing.

CRS is harder than HRS. Get some 1/4" HRS and CRS. Get some Timber Ties too. They helped me a lot.

-Jon

Everybody has been recommending timber ties, but I can't find them at either store. (Lowe's or the local hardware store). Like I was saying, I couldn't find ANY kind of nail that was longer than 3 1/2" (other than the galvanized 60d). I may have to find time to go to the closest Home Depot (an hour drive--not something I do every day), as that's where it seems a lot of people get them from. Kind of inconvenient, but it may be the only way.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Everybody has been recommending timber ties, but I can't find them at either store. (Lowe's or the local hardware store). Like I was saying, I couldn't find ANY kind of nail that was longer than 3 1/2" (other than the galvanized 60d). I may have to find time to go to the closest Home Depot (an hour drive--not something I do every day), as that's where it seems a lot of people get them from. Kind of inconvenient, but it may be the only way.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Lowe's should have timber ties. That might be the 60d galvanized stuff your seeing. Do those have spirals?

-Jon

The 60d's at Lowe's have little grooves from about halfway down all the way down to the point. Would that be spirals? I got a few of those a while back, and they were very easy. Most of them that I bent actually broke. Our Lowe's (I actually work there...) is a smaller store than most, and has less variety than other Lowe's stores. Are timber ties ever actually labeled as "timber ties", or is that just something y'all just call them?

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

can't help ya much with the nail, althoug I used a 4" spiral nail when I started out bending for practise and to get a comfortable style.

as for steel the price you paid seems to be par. I get mine in 20' lenghts from a steel distributor, it's about .25/foot.

Steel does vary greatly, although graded bolts vary they are very by a lesser degree.

MOst will say CRS is Harder Than HRS but some will say this is not always true.

my experiance is that the CRS is harder and doesn't get easier the further you bend it. while the HRS seems to heat better and bend quicker the further you bend it.

HOpe this helps.

The timber ties I bought ,at lowes, actually were labeled "timber ties". They are 6" long 60d. I bought the 8 spiraled ones. There is a picture of it in my gallery.

Justin, sounds like you found pole barn nails, they also are called 60d but are much thinner. You will know a spiral when U see it. Timber ties are ususally located somewhere by the big landscaping spikes, they will say 60d timber ties on the box. Ask your manager to order you some, that will save you a drive, but timber ties are the best bang for your buck........Brett

With timber ties, are there several different types with different amounts of spirals? What would be the difference, and which should I get according to the level I am at? At Lowe's, I probably would have to ask someone to order them. We have some kind of 10 or 12 inch spikes right next to the easy to break nails that I tried a while back, but no timber ties. I'm going to try finding them at the new Home Depot that I mentioned in my other post. (it's only 25 minutes away, compared to 15 minutes for Lowe's--not too much farther)

Also, are carriage screws different from carriage bolts? I'm thinking they are. At Lowe's, we only have carriage screws, not bolts. They don't have a grade number, just different lengths and different thicknesses. They are also threaded all the way up to the top (carriage bolts I have seen are only threaded at the bottom) I tried a 7" x 1/4", but I only warped it. I have had people tell me to get some grade 2 6" x 1/4" carriage bolts, so obviously this was a lot harder.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Oh, and by the way, that 1.29 I paid for the 3' sections was at the other hardware store...at Lowe's its about 2.50 (almost twice the price!!!) for a 3' section.

Justin Reagan

interesting heavy metal going on over here. i never knew ne thing about nails until i met the gripboard. :online