Straphold goals

Guest liquidtheorems

Guest liquidtheorems

Question. I just tried strapholds the other day with a thin nylon strap and my #1.  I did 25lbs for about 20 secs.  This is the first time I've heard of and done them so I'd like to know a good way to go about setting goals for them

Bob

Guest JSallee

I was going to say the same thing, that's a pretty good hold.

I would say that you are ready to add weight.  I shot for failure somewhere in the seven to ten second range, after fully warmed up.

Guest liquidtheorems

Thanks for all the input.  Seems that a 10-15 second hold is about the right goal for progressing up a bit in weight.  Gonna give that a shot for a while and see how it works for me.  One more thing what would be a good goal for the #1 straphold say around 90lbs for 15 seconds?

If you can do a strap hold with 90 pounds for 15 seconds, even with the #1, you'll close the #4 with ease. Ask David Horne for world class strap holds goals.

Guest liquidtheorems

Nice guess I got a good bench mark for progression to #4 close.  I'll look up how to contact Mr. Horne and see what a good strap hold is.  Thanks for the input

Bob

Guest Matt Brennecke

When would you add weight versus adding time?

I did five holds per hand with ten pounds for ten seconds each, couldn't get more than seven with my right when I tried for six. Should I add weight, try to get more holds, or try to hold for fifteen seconds?

Matt,

I never add time to a strap hold. I just add weight. Same thing for weight training. No added reps, only added weight.

Stick in the 5-10 seconds for 5 holds and add weight whenever you can.

I agree with Tou. When you add weight, you have to squeeze harder, which will help you close a heavier gripper. Adding time won't make you squeeze harder, just longer at a given weight.

Guest liquidtheorems

Any suggestions at what point to move from the #1 straphold to a #2 I can do 25lbs right now for twenty secs and then hold the #1 shut for 30 after my grip workout.  Should I shoot for 35lbs at 15secs before moving to the #2?

Bob

You should be able to do a #2 straphold now, unless your #2 is unusually strong or your #1 is unusually weak.  I did around a 6-pound straphold on the #2 last workout (can't remember the exact number) followed by 2 sets of 23-pounds on the #1 (all for 10 seconds).  I've been trying to address in my logs that the #1 straphold is more effective at this level because the hold is more strict (at least for me).  Wannagrip mentioned to me that wrist strain becomes a problem with really heavy holds, but I have not had a problem with this.   I will continue to do the one set of the #2 followed by the #1 strapholds and move into two sets with the #2 eventually.  I think I will keep doing one set out of 3 with the #1 straphold until I have some reason to stop (like the wrist strain).  Also, I have other options because I have a strong #1 which is about 90% the strength of my #2.  I've thought about doing one set with each gripper.  

Someone mentioned doing a straphold deadlift in another thread (Tou?).  The idea as I understood it was to do as heavy a lift as you can but not for time, just pick the weight up for a second or two.  This is an interesting idea and I may try the #2 with 8 to 10-pounds this way.

Guest liquidtheorems

Thank you Tom good advice I will give it a shot next time.  I'm pretty good with my #2 so I think I will move up but still keep the #1 also.

Bob

It's not me Tom but I'll give it a try for sure. Just to lift the weight to full arm extended (muscle out would say Brookfield) and to put it down slowly would be solid strap hold (if the weight is heavy enough).

• 2 weeks later...

I would check with Heath Sexton for World Class strap holds. He is doing them every workout and probably setting an unofficial world record each time without knowing it!

He's been doing strap holds with a 3 for months now.

Someone asked about closing a 3 every day in another thread?  Heath has the ability to close the 3 every day while eating his Wheaties with the other hand!

:blush   thanks Wannagrip, but you really need to stop talking about me like that.......   :blush