"Newbie" CoC question

Guest w7913

Many times in the last two years, I've experienced with the following pattern... I use the CoC no 1 for sets of 6 to 10 reps. At first, I can do like 5-6 reps for 3 sets. The week after I'm good for 6-7 reps again for 3 sets, etc. Until I get stuck to 3 sets of 10-11 reps... Then I try the no 2 the next week: I'm good for ¼ of an inch from closing. For some reasons (maybe laziness? :-)), I then quit the gripper training... But surprise, two or three weeks later, I try again the no 2 and get only 1\8 of inch from closing. But somehow when I get back to the no 1, I'm back to 5-6 reps. What's going on here. what am I missing? Thanks

Robert

One problem I see in your routine is giving up every couple weeks. Also, I think most guys will say that a good way to build crushing strength is to do lots of strapholds. That's where you close the handles together on a string or strap that has weight tied to it & hold for 5 to 15 seconds. Increase the weight when you can do about 5 holds in that range.

Guest liquidtheorems

strap hold or plier hold.  

Using a gripper you tie or otherwise affix a strap or string to a weight.  This strap will hold the weight in a hanging position. You then close the gripper with the strap between the handles.  Once the strap is  between the handles and the gripper fully closed then lift the weight off the ground and hold.

Same goes for a plier.

Bob that's how I do it anyhow

It look cool and interesting. Thanks a lot.

After lurking for a while on the website, should I assume the following to be a good start as a grip "w/o" (well, sort of) :

Sunday, after training routine : 5 sets of two hands plates pinch gripping for 5-15 sec. per set. (say 2 35's for example)

Wednesday, after training routine (back home) : 5 sets CoC #1 "strap hold" for 5-15 sec per set.

Does that sound reasonnable considering that grip training is not the priority of my actual training?

Robert