Im Pads

mossman

i just recently got the IM pads...tried to kill a red, no go.....dont think i have em folded right...anyone wanna give me some clear directions on how to fold em?

Hint: Grip the nail harder. If you have your hands way out at the ends, they will move around on you, no matter how you fold them.

I think the "correct" way to fold them is fold them twice, so the width becomes 1/3 of the original. Then just roll them around the nail tight. A lot of chalk on the nail is also recommended to avoid slippage.

Rolle

Also, if you are used to bending with leather or something along those lines, just using Cordura will hurt like hell and theres potential for some soft tissue damage in my opinion, considering that your used to the pressures allowed by thicker wraps. I would recomend a nice slow progression if you plan on using the pads.

Lots of chalk, makes the pads more dense, fold them into 3rds, move your hands in a little closer from the ends and wrap them as tightly as you can, these are things which helped me. Also work on grade 8 bolts a lot and get used to the feel of the pads. If you were previously using leather to bend with then you may not be strong enough to bend a red with the im pads yet, the thicker leather gives you quite a bit more leverage. Dont despair just keep after it, I failed on my first red cert attempt with the pads and had to work my butt off to get consistent with them, since my cert the pads have collected a lot of dust. Keep after it and you will get it soon....Brett

The way I trained with them and cert'ed was to fold them as tightly as possible into fourths, and put chalk on the inside and outside. Good luck. With them folded into 4ths, they are fairly thick, but you must be careful to center them on the ends as they are not too wide that way. As Steve said also, grip them as tight as possible to avoid slipping, and thats good advice for any type of bend.

Edited by mmainlands

I'm on my second set of IM pads now, I find the first few times they are terrible but after they work in an bit and are wrapped and rewrapped they get better but they do wear out and like stated above will slip.