#4 Horse Shoes

Titan

Where would you go to purchase #4 Horse Shoes? Thanks Kurk

Where would you go to purchase #4 Horse Shoes?  Thanks  Kurk

Titan are you wanting to pitch horseshoes or bend them because a #4 if you can find them, which few companies produce them in that size are going to be more specialty. The horseshoe is no doubt going to be a thick monster of a piece of U shaped metal.

Steel Horseshoe List from lightest to heaviest

OOO

OO

O

#4 when you can find it in stuff like Eventers and Heeled Broncos ect....

some special styles of shoes like eggberts come on #s above 4 but they are not the typical horseshoe used for bending.

#6 Draft Horse

#8 Draft Horse

I am no farrier nor am I a cowboy but a #4 horseshoe seems to be a mighty tall order for a green horn just beginning the art of horseshoe bending. You can take that from a guy who recently lifted a green anvil by the horn-that could be considered a Green Horn right? :laugh

I have been told to start out with the OOO or OO at the most until your strength and technique are solid and more than capable.

To put it into perspective for you and anyone else that is ready to ride the horseshoe-bending bronco.

1st FBBC offers a certifications if you can bend a "O" and "1" horseshoes bit I don't see a name in that bending category not that others haven't done it but saying it is a significant achievement to say the least.

2nd BIG Steve McGrannahan a truly God blessed man of strength sent me a variety of things he felt the lord wanted him to send me and among those treasures was a # 2 Diamond Horseshoe it was huge and thick but in was also in a stretched out "S" shape. I discourage no one in their pursuit of their goals, especially in the strength realm because we have all seen to many that wouldn't couldn’t shouldn't and be able to so certain strength feats do them and much more. A few that come to mind is the Mighty Atom, Dennis Rogers or Pat Povilaitis and many more unsung brothers of steel and strongmen.

I am not an authority as I saud and there are many more qualified to give you much more in depth advice on bending horseshoes and all it's intricacies, but I think a horseshoe of lower strength to begin with will save someone from discouragement and possible injury trying to conquer an object not yet ready to be conqured.

I HOPE THAT OTHER MORE KNOWLEDGABLE STRENGTH ATHLETES WILL COMMENT ON THIS POST SO WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM THE KNOWLEDGE SHARED.

YBIC GatorGrip

Here is a link to Diamond Horseshoes and in the Heeled Bronco section there is a #4 but I would explore the site for all it's horseshoe selection.

http://www.horseshoes.com/supplies/alphabe...y/en-us/dept_68.

I mostly get my shoes used from a farrier who sevices a boarding stable near my house. He's never given me a shoe larger than a #2. Perhaps you could find a horse ranch/farrier near you who services draft horses....

Ken Davis and Sons Farrier Supply is where I go to get new shoes.

http://www.ken-davis.com/

They've got every size and type of shoe imagineable. You might see if they would ship to you.

Where would you go to purchase #4 Horse Shoes?   Thanks  Kurk

Titan are you wanting to pitch horseshoes or bend them because a #4 if you can find them, which few companies produce them in that size are going to be more specialty. The horseshoe is no doubt going to be a thick monster of a piece of U shaped metal.

Steel Horseshoe List from lightest to heaviest

OOO

OO

O

#4 when you can find it in stuff like Eventers and Heeled Broncos ect....

some special styles of shoes like eggberts come on #s above 4 but they are not the typical horseshoe used for bending.

#6 Draft Horse

#8 Draft Horse

I am no farrier nor am I a cowboy but a #4 horseshoe seems to be a mighty tall order for a green horn just beginning the art of horseshoe bending. You can take that from a guy who recently lifted a green anvil by the horn-that could be considered a Green Horn right? :laugh

I have been told to start out with the OOO or OO at the most until your strength and technique are solid and more than capable.

To put it into perspective for you and anyone else that is ready to ride the horseshoe-bending bronco.

1st FBBC offers a certifications if you can bend a "O" and "1" horseshoes bit I don't see a name in that bending category not that others haven't done it but saying it is a significant achievement to say the least.

2nd BIG Steve McGrannahan a truly God blessed man of strength sent me a variety of things he felt the lord wanted him to send me and among those treasures was a # 2 Diamond Horseshoe it was huge and thick but in was also in a stretched out "S" shape. I discourage no one in their pursuit of their goals, especially in the strength realm because we have all seen to many that wouldn't couldn’t shouldn't and be able to so certain strength feats do them and much more. A few that come to mind is the Mighty Atom, Dennis Rogers or Pat Povilaitis and many more unsung brothers of steel and strongmen.

I am not an authority as I saud and there are many more qualified to give you much more in depth advice on bending horseshoes and all it's intricacies, but I think a horseshoe of lower strength to begin with will save someone from discouragement and possible injury trying to conquer an object not yet ready to be conqured.

I HOPE THAT OTHER MORE KNOWLEDGABLE STRENGTH ATHLETES WILL COMMENT ON THIS POST SO WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM THE KNOWLEDGE SHARED.

YBIC GatorGrip

Here is a link to Diamond Horseshoes and in the Heeled Bronco section there is a #4 but I would explore the site for all it's horseshoe selection.

http://www.horseshoes.com/supplies/alphabe...y/en-us/dept_68.

THANKS GATOR, I'M NO LONGER IN THE MARKET FOR A 4. I AM WILLING TO BE A GREEN HORN AND DESERVE TO BE ONE. NEXT TIME I WILL RESEARCH THE SIZES BETTER. PAT SURE MAKES THE 4 LOOK EASY ON HIS DVD. I REALIZE HE IS A FREAK BUT KNOW I REALIZE JUST HOW FREAKY!!! P.S. HE BENT A #5 ON THE DVD AS WELL. THANKS FOR ALL THE HORSE SHOE INFO. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO RESEARCHING IT AND GETTING INTO BENDING THEM. BYE FOR KNOW KURK

• 1 month later...

Sean,

What would a beginner start with? 000? What do all the different styles mean as far as strength?

They have shoes at the local farm store here. They are $2.16 each. I figure I'll stop by and grab a 000, 00, and 0. Just to see where to start but I don't know what is a good bend or about all the types.

Could someone give a little background for bending horseshoes, like as far as what to do, pulling them apart, closing them, etc... I've seen that pic in the grip gallery of the old strongman bending the horsehoe pic, I wanna give it a try. Gator would you say that is the progression of shoes to bend? My friends girlfriend is into equestrian so I can hopefully grab some shoes to give a try.

How do you know what strength of horse shoe you got, meaning are they marked somewhere on them. Also is the any carry over from nail bending to horse shoe bending or are they just completely different.

I would start with worn #1's or #2's if possible. Just cause the others (0,00,etc) are thinner doesn't mean they are easier, they are also much smaller and harder to get a hold of. I had a world-class, and I mean world-class as in people buy dvd's of him bending shoes, tell me that one of my small shoes was a tough shoe that would be considered world class. Not that I was bending them but I was just asking his opinion. Remember, 1/2" steel maybe harder than a red, but at 18" vs 6" its much easier. Leverage is important.

For what its worth, I can straighten out new #2 lites. They aren't easy though. I have never tried bigger shoes, 3/4/5 etc. Making a heart is tough, feels like your hands are being crushed, not to mention the huge bruise left on your thigh. Pad while learning. Good luck guys.

Anyone got a site or can describe what i'm trying to do with the horseshoes when bending....twisting...straightening....crushing...:)

Anyone got a site or can describe what i'm trying to do with the horseshoes when bending....twisting...straightening....crushing...:)

I have trouble believing you can learn it from reading about it. I show people how and have to show them 20 times before it makes any sense. Took me 20 times to learn it too. It isnt difficult to learn as much as it really feels weird when you first start doing it. Try finding some vid of someone doing shoes it may get you started. Best bet is to find someone to show you.

Greg

Greg

Seein as how you are always there to help others bend etc :bow

Any chance of putting up a clip or 2 of the finer pionts of horseshoe bending,maybe another excellent article like the bending article you and dave put together to accompany it.

I know i would certainly appreciate it as well as others.

Greg

Seein as how you are always there to help others bend etc :bow

Any chance of putting up a clip or 2 of the finer pionts of horseshoe bending,maybe another excellent article like the bending article you and dave put together to accompany it.

I know i would certainly appreciate it as well as others.

yeah, a clip would be cool.

There is a good site called farrier depot.com that sells all kinds of different brands and sizes of horseshoes.Also you get your order very fast.I am new to horseshoe bending as well and ordered a bunch of what are called training plates.These were very easy to bend but will get you used to the movement of bending them.I am currently trying to figure out what to get next as a next step up the ladder but havent bought anything yet.Just like everyone else said,the higher the number the larger the shoe.I had to buy size 6 to get both my hands around inside the shoe without my hands hitting each other.Also larger shoes mean more leverage can be applied to them,just as the case with nails and bolts.

Edited by rocky dennis

I just dont know how to bend them. Like I hear some turn them into hearts or twist them but I dont even know what my end goal is for the horseshoe or how to do it. If you know nay sites Rocky or can explain even a bit of it let us know.

I'll see if I can't get a quick video this afternoon for you. The hardest thing is learning how to get them started.

Zach

I just dont know how to bend them. Like I hear some turn them into hearts or twist them but I dont even know what my end goal is for the horseshoe or how to do it. If you know nay sites Rocky or can explain even a bit of it let us know.

Believe me,if I thought I could fully explain the movement I would be glad to share it with you.Like anything else seeing somone do it is the way to learn.I bought the 336 pounds of fury dvd just because it has pat bending plenty of horseshoes

Edited by rocky dennis

I'll see if I can't get a quick video this afternoon for you.  The hardest thing is learning how to get them started.

Zach

That would be awesome. If anyone else can add vids or advice as well a lot of us would appreciate it :)