Pr At Last Ft. Worth Grip Bash

dubthewonderscot

Small report on the time this saturday....

First, thanks to Eric Milfeld and Chris (strongmitts) Caffrey for taking time out of their mothersday weekend to have a little grip fun with me. Chris especially just dropped by before a lengthy road trip to be with his family, he didn't have to do that and it was much appreciated.

Eric and I settled into some dead lift work prior to bending, tearing, etc. Prior to us using the platform some P lifters were suiting up for a meet and working on depth on squats, etc. I think one of the bigger guys got up to 500 or so on his squat in an Inzer Metal Squat suit. Well, Eric walks over...(easily 40 to 50 pounds lighter and 3 inches taller than this lifter) and works up to a 505 double on dead lift. We've talked before about Eric's round back deadlift style and it was again on full display. These guys start yelling out "head up! head up!, open your eyes!! Back straight!!!"....they had good intentions and their heart was in the right place. The first time I saw Eric do that I cringed too. But he's been doing it for what, almost 20 years Eric? One guy says to Eric "you could put 50 pounds on your dead lift if you straightened your back!" ...um, sir actually he's done 120 pounds more than that already. lol Just a little fun, Eric took it with his characteristic grin and good nature that I've come to expect from him.

Eric went on to rip a couple of decks of cards with not much of a problem at all save a little finger pain. He calmly bent what I think was a 6 inch fatbastard bar (5/16ths of course) like I bend a 3/16ths carriage bolt. lol

I did set a new PR though. Just recently i've mastered the 60 penny pole barn nail and can bend one about whenever I want. Well, under Eric's watchful eye and encourgement, I U'ed a David Horne 200 kilo challenge bar that had previously laughed at me and mocked me on every attempt. I think I can now think about progressing up those and move on to grade 5's soon!

Great fun this weekend. Thanks again guys. See you at a park for burgers and family in the near future when I can bring my better half. Looking forward to her meeting you guys and your wives as well.

W

Man that sounds awesome, I'm sorry I missed it. Just being mothers day weekend and all I couldn't make it.

No worries Matt. We'll catch you another time!

Nice report!

Congrats on the CB-200 bend.

You'll get that G5 soon.

Man, I wish I could have watched Eric DLing. :D

Sorry I couldn't be there. I have been working in the OKC office and haven't been to N. Texas in a couple months :( Sounds like fun though, and I have seen it first hand. I would have said the same thing to Eric if I didn't know him :)

Yeh, that was great fun! Weldon surprised me with his newly discovered bending powers. I have no doubt that a grade 8 will be his very soon, especially if he trains more than once every three weeks. :laugh

You Austin guys were missed. Hope to join see ya'll soon.