Levering Or What?

Muscle Turtle

What is the most benefical exercise to help me get started in bending? I have been doing some levering with a bar once or twice a week. How often should I be levering? or should I be doing something else more beneficial?

Im ordering Bag O Nails from Ironmind tomorrow to get started in bending! :trout

Bending is the best exercise for bending. :)

Levering will help your wrists adapt... But actual bending is the best for progressing.

What is the most benefical exercise to help me get started in bending? I have been doing some levering with a bar once or twice a week. How often should I be levering? or should I be doing something else more beneficial?

Im ordering Bag O Nails from Ironmind tomorrow to get started in bending!  :trout

Buy yourself 7 or 8 inch nails instead. It would be a lot cheaper. I believe you should bring out the sledge hammer when you want to work out, to warm up your arms and wrists. Then bend as many 7/8 inch nails as you can (perhaps 15-20). Then go back to the sledge hammer and finish off with some levering.

No substitute for actual bending.. Daniel is right about it being cheaper to just buy some nails to get started. 60D polebarn nails are a great start if you can find ones that bend instead of snap. Timber ties are also a great start and cheap...not sure where you find 7-8 inch nails though most here in the states are 6in or under?????Good luck and let us know how you progress....Brett

well today I bent 5, 5 inch 60 d nails.. then I came home and bent 1 6 inch 60 d.

I bent 1 6 inch nail with 9 spirals.. then I bent 2, 5 inch grade 2 bolts.. then I bent 8 5 inch, 5 spiral bolts.. all done..

That was todays stuff... I looked at a 7 inch nail and you must be crazy!!! I cant bend taht thing! haha. Ill keep bending my lil heart out.. My IM kit will be here in a few days and I will see waht I can do then.. until then, stay strong!

until then, stay strong!

I'm guessing you've watched your fair share of All Strength Challenge ? :laugh

I know I have and then some !

I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I think you should stay easy on the bending and do a lot of overall grip exercises including a TON of levering first. It's my opinion that bending has a lot more injuries than other aspects if you start out too fast and hard without enough prep work. When I talk of levering, I mean back, front, and to both sides (rotational movement). This develops the muscles used in bending plus most other muscles in the lower arm. I know I'm showing my old age here but going too fast and specilising too soon will likely cause you problems down the road. You'll go farther if not faster by building a wide base of strength in all directions before going all out in any one area. The sins of youth WILL come back to haunt you later on down the road. I'm not saying don't bend - just work technique hard and build your base - THEN go after that Red.

t rex makes the most sense to me.