Thick bar

Rick Walker

As I have stated on here before, one of my goals for January 2003 is to hoist the Thomas Inch replica.

I have been doing thick bar training on a regular basis, but I just dont seem to be progressing like I am with everything else.

I thought my thumbs were getting all the work they needed through pinch and since I have progressed to 2-35s, I figured they were getting stronger.  But thick bar seems to kick my a$$!

Last night I did them and when i was done, my forearms and hands were so fried I could barely close the #1!!  This just seemed really strange.

Anyway, I am planning on hitting my thumbs harder through the plier lift using only thumb and the side of my index finger, holding onto the end of the handles.  I also have a large, strong spring that I plan on using on my thumb to simulate the Titans Telegraph.

Any other ideas??

Rick Walker :hehe

you might try mixing in wrist curls, even plate wrist curls. I think the fingertips get worked just as much as does the thumb in lifting a thick bar and plate wrist curls certainly work the fingertips. Wrist curls because I think with a strong wrist you can keep the wrist from flopping back and the thick bar dropping through your fingertips.

Variety generally can help.

Long Holds helped me when it came to thick bar strength.  When I was working with the PDA Inch replica, I think holds helped me more than heavy singles on the dumbell.

But, standing around holding a thick bar is kinda boring, so you have to "trick" yourself into holding on.  I liked to do the farmer's walk with thick dumbells.  This way I wasn't thinking "hold on for 12 more seconds," I was thinking about walking farther than last week.  Also, stuff like shruggs and sidebends with the thick bar also helped.  That way you aren't even really thinking about your grip, but it was getting stronger anyway.

I've been experimenting with doing sets of 10 reps with the PDA inch handle the last 3 workouts.  I do a full rep, set the weight back down, re-grip and do the next rep.  With a lower weight I pulled the first couple reps up without re-gripping, but I think it might be a better workout to re-grip.  Of course, once the weight gets higher then it is natural to re-grip every rep.

I don't know yet if it will increase my max, but it sure is a lot more interesting than timed holds.  I did 110-pounds yesterday for 10 as the last thing in my workout and it was tough.   I think when I get to 120, or maybe in 3 more weeks I'll try a max. single and see if it helped.

Tom,

How's your progress on the #3?  My PDA Inch is on the way to me.... will be here in a few days.  Glad to know I'm not the only one interested in training to lift the Inch DB someday!! :p

Sybersnott,

As usual, this is my worst time of year on the grippers and in strength in general; I usually peak in the spring or early summer.   This has been my pattern for a long time, and try as I may to buck my bio-cycles or whatever causes the strength loss it doesn’t help.  Of course, I always lay off on the holiday’s otherwise I end up over-trained.  As far as specific distance on the handles of the number 3 I haven’t given it my best shot since last year.  All my attempts are after my main portion of my workout.  In my next log I mention that I’m finally giving strapholds a long term try, and after 3-4 sets of those you can imagine that I don’t do well on the #3.  Sometimes I don’t even bother to mention in my log these attempts.  I think once I get to 10-pound strapholds on the #2 (I did only 5-pounds yesterday but I’m just getting over the flu) I’ll try some mid week work on the #3, doing a quick warm-up and going right to the #3.   I also did 22.5 pounds with the #1, which is a new idea I’m testing- using a gripper well within my limits for the initial close.  Believe me, the #1 and a lot of weight is a different feeling than the #2 with less.    I seem to be getting benefit from the close and having to hold up the larger amount of weight.  I’m curious how much someone who can close a #3 could do on a #1 straphold (this #1 is about 3 years old).   I would bet at least 35 pounds, maybe 40.

Ultra heavy strap holds with a light gripper is similar to plier lifting. For the plier lift I use a discarded nylon military belt but for strap holds I use a thin nylon strap. The materials are too different in thickness, width, and texture to make a reasonable comparison. My guess is that the upper limit for a strap hold is 30 to 50 percent of one's best plier lift. Again, the lifts are similar but different and are about as comparable as the military press to the bench press.

Guest TODonnell

I have also dedicated this year to working with the PDA Inch Dumb Bell Bar and am enjoying it greatly but also am not making much progress.  Since I pretty much follow the workout that Tom Black has in his log I will also begin doing the ten single reps and let you know what happens.  I have ordered the Turk (3" handle from PDA) since Tom had said that he used that in the past and seemed to enjoy it.  My question would be should I use that on the same day as the IDB or on alternate days or drop the IDB for awhile in favor of the Turk?  For this entire year I have determined that I will only do thick bar and dumbell work so all of my lifts are done with at least a 2 inch handle or bar plus the IDB work.  (And of course the steel bending that Black does and the leverage lifting and now I am adding the "club" lift).  Thanks for all the ideas, Tom, and the inspiration.