1/4'' Square Brass Bar

porky

i have 14'' of it. wondering what length i should cut it to. i was thinking i should go with 2 7''ers so i wouldnt waste any but would i even have a chance? so maybe an 8'' piece?

like a half hour ago i bent a 6'' 1/4'' piece of zinc plated steel.

so what would u recommend i do with this 14'' 1/4'' square brass dealy?

SOLID BRASS ROD Yield Strengths at Varying Lengths

7" x 1/4" Yield Strength 155lb

6" x 1/4" Yield Strength 180lb

5" x 1/4" Yield Strength 225lb

4" x 1/4" Yield Strength 300lb

7" x 5/16" Yield Strength 300lb

6" x 5/16" Yield Strength 342lb

For more Yield Strengths of various steel, bolt, and nails at different lengths use this link: Caparison of the IMs or equivalents to others stock can be useful,

My Webpage

Estimate based on his testing methods not the Gospel but on usably accurate.

I hope this helps you in your decision now go bend a 4" piece for me! :D

GATOR

Could not go back an edit the message but this was based on:

Solid Brass Round Rods, now being Solid Brass Square Stock it will have an even higher yeild strength thus demanding even more required force to bend it.

Good Luck and Kill It, Without Killing Yourself!

Careful with brass - in my experience some is very soft and some is brittle and can break instead of bending. Cut a small section off with a pair of bolt cutters, if it breaks rather then cutting through, forget about trying it. The cool thing with brass is that when it bends, it is rather soft so you can bend some very thick - 3/8" diameter and up - pieces, as opposed to what you can do with steel.

With what you have I would try a 7 inch piece and if it feels easy, then cut down the next one accordingly. Good luck.

Careful with brass - in my experience some is very soft and some is brittle and can break instead of bending. 

I echo that!! Square brass is the only thing that ever broke on me, I had a 5.5" piece of 1/4" square from online metals and it broke under my chin (luckily only scratched me), and had nasty pointed ends. Be careful!!

Careful with brass - in my experience some is very soft and some is brittle and can break instead of bending. 

I echo that!! Square brass is the only thing that ever broke on me, I had a 5.5" piece of 1/4" square from online metals and it broke under my chin (luckily only scratched me), and had nasty pointed ends. Be careful!!

hrmmm sounds scary, i cut it but i wasnt paying attention to how it went.

when i try it ill wrap it good and be sure to be careful about it breaking.