Want To Do Thick Bar Work

ErnieScar

Cut some wide pvc piping or metal tubing, so long as you dont go to heavy you should be fine for some straight static lifting. This will make some cheap and cheerful stand in equiptment.

If you wrap some towelling around your bar and slide the tube over it this will help stabilise it, although you may have to do some readjustments.

Good luck with your thickbar work, what are you training towards?

Cut some wide pvc piping or metal tubing, so long as you dont go to heavy you should be fine for some straight static lifting.  This will make some cheap and cheerful stand in equiptment.

If you wrap some towelling around your bar and slide the tube over it this will help stabilise it, although you may have to do some readjustments.

Good luck with your thickbar work, what are you training towards?

Looking to get better hand strength for conroling people wrists for BJJ and MMA

but my gym doesn't have any and to order one to Canada would cost a piss pot of cash. Anyway to work around this problem?

Even if you do get one and try to bring it to your gym too, chances are they'll be assholes and won't let you use it (like mine and my 2" bar :angry: )

but my gym doesn't have any and to order one to Canada would cost a piss pot of cash. Anyway to work around this problem?

Here is an idea my roommate thought of. You know the pad that some people put on bars to protect there shoulders when doing squats?( the puss pad) You can buy one of those pads and cut it in half. Then you can place the halves on a regular olympic bar or whatever size bar is in your gym. Place the pads wherever you want to grip the bar for whatever exercise you wish to perform and PRESTO!! instant thick bar. This turns a regular bar into about a 2" or so thick bar. Now its not as solid as a REAL thick bar but its a temporary fix. Plus you can bring them to the gym with you and you can use them on all sorts of different exercises. Its a lot easier to transport these pads with you then a whole thick bar to the gym plus it saves a ton of money. You now can turn all barbell and dumbbell exercises into thick bar work.

WELD ONE UP!!!

shouldn't take more than 15min to cut and weld

I have suggested this before for anybody who wants to do thick bar for the grappling arts.

Buy a piece of thick, dense, rubber as used in mating. Try to but an old, odd size remnant as it is cheaper. Upholstry shops, floor supply shops, or furniture repair places will carry it. Cut it into pieces long enough to grasp and tape it securely in place. It should give you a thickbar around 21/2 ". This is better for grappling than PVC or pipe. The dense rubber will feel very similar to an opponent's wrist or forearm. Exactly what you want.

Edited by Zevich

A variation of what BloodyGripper suggested would be to use one of the thick foam rollers that are used on most leg extension/leg curl units. Same concept, just thicker.

Also, check out Rick Walker's combat grip training article on the Diesel Crew site.

Chris

A great place to use thick bars is in chins. Buy some short sections of thick pipe and use rope or chain to attach them to a chinning bar.