Bending Gloves

raziel

I know people use a variety of materials to wrap their nails - wash cloths, leather pads, bank bags, etc. But does anybody simply wear gloves to do the job?

I'm looking for advice on which gloves might be the best to bend with. Something I could pick up at a Home Depot. I'm hoping to remove the time needed for wrapping and unwrapping a nail.

I wouldn't be bending reds with these, probably nothing stronger than your average timber tie. I bend double overhand, so just something strong enough to prevent piercing.

Any experiences or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Heavy Leather welding gloves work well, but no where near as good as a wrap....I tried the glove thing for a while, but not enough padding for the heavier bends..Plus there is good possibillity of puncture wounds this method.........Brett

I tried leather work gloves. They did work till I had one tear at the stitching. As such I guess you could get hurt with them.

Personally I think the wrap is a better way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know wraps are superior, but I was looking for gloves for a particular reason. I'll take a look around HD today. And be real careful if I try some bending.

I keep my wraps rolled up tight with rubber bands, I normally only have to re-roll them once per session. Granted, my sessions are shorter than most guys' here. :tongue Works well with stock, but I guess it won't be the same for nails or bolts. :(

Rolle

If you are just looking for puncture protection you can get some gloves made of 'turtleskin' TM. a tough material that is slash and puncture resistant and may do the job here, can be found on some medical/industrial supply sites, can be a bit pricey though.

Couple of test tube rubber bungs might do just as well for the lighter bar.

Personally my hands are too soft to bend anything heavy without bruising around the thumb juncture as I bend terminator style.

Damn, those chain link oyster gloves run about $130 a piece!

The Turtleskin is a bit more reasonable. Thanks for the heads up.

Raziel,

On g2 and some easy nails I keep one wrap rollled up and the other I fold in thirds and then wrap around the head of the bolt or nail. Saves time on the easier bends and I have not experienced any slippage.

Also on an older thread I remember Hammerhead saying that he cuts the heads off of the nails with bolt cutters and then can wrap just like for round stock and pull the wraps off each time.

Just depends on how you like it best.

Good luck with your bending,

Mike ;)