2005 Ironmind Grippers

Sybersnott

I got my weekly installment of the batch of grippers I get from IronMind...

:D

O.K., I'm kidding! :laugh

Anyhow... I get my grippers today, and I notice that EVERYONE OF THEM is wide! And I mean - everyone! :ohmy

Each gripper had a handle spread of 3 inches. Is this something new? I thought that the gripper spread would be less than that, but it isn't.

Aren't the #3's and the #4's supposed to be benchmarked? Ho can they be with a handle spread as wide as that! :mellow

Aren't the #3's and the #4's supposed to be benchmarked?

Snott, given your experience, I truly hope you are joking about this. :blink

My 05 #3 is 3 inches on the dot. After a bit of seasoning too. It has one of the chromish looking springs

My 05 #2 is 2 3/4 fully seasoned. And it has a black spring

Edited by Captain Crunk

Aren't the #3's and the #4's supposed to be benchmarked?

Snott, given your experience, I truly hope you are joking about this. :blink

Maybe IM has heard of the new bigger credit cards... :tongue

I got my weekly installment of the batch of grippers I get from IronMind...

:D

O.K., I'm kidding!  :laugh

Anyhow... I get my grippers today, and I notice that EVERYONE OF THEM is wide!  And I mean - everyone!  :ohmy

Each gripper had a handle spread of 3 inches.  Is this something new?  I thought that the gripper spread would be less than that, but it isn't.

Aren't the #3's and the #4's supposed to be benchmarked?  Ho can they be with a handle spread as wide as that!  :mellow

What grippers did you buy?

You mean IM CoC gripppers come in a width less than 3". The ones I bought back 2002 if I recall, Yeah the ones that have collected dust for the last 4-5 years. Each of mine #1 - 3" #2 - 3 1/8" #3 - 3 1/4" I just pulled them out and measured each one.

No Damn Wonder Even Little Kids Can Shut Their # 2 they may not have one these

3 1/8".

For my mitts this is a stretch for sure! :(

My '04 #3 is the only one that makes it 3 inches, the rest 2.75ish. Shouldn't they be trying for consistency or is it impossible with grippers?

Deaner,

I think its impossible or else very expensive. Noone has been able to produce grippers that dont very. Even if you have all the variables set the same like spring depth, spread etc., the springs are going to be different based on where they were placed while being heated and a bunch of other variables.

Austin

If the springs are as some have said "chromed" looking, then they are most likely from a new source. If so this will add even more variance, and increase sales.

I think Oldguy is on to Ironmind's marketing ploy.

It works for them in two ways. People want easy #x's and then others want hard #x's.

So why in the world would Ironmind want to standardize and engineer the crap out of a gripper that would then be the same as every other gripper with the same number.

Gripper variance = Gripper sales = More money for Ironmind.

No crazy conspriracy, just great market research or dumb luck that we are insane enough to own more than one gripper of a certain # rating.

Really. How many of us after knowing that there are different strength's of grippers last that long before getting a duplicate of a certain gripper #?

my 2 cents that is left over from all my gripper purchases.

T

If the springs are as some have said "chromed" looking, then they are most likely from a new source. If so this will add even more variance, and increase sales.

They have that "black chromed" look... very nice.

I'm thinking (and this is me talking outside of the box here), that the grippers are this wide for a reason - the new cert rule.

An IM gripper is 3 inches wide and the end of a credit card is 2 inches. You have to build a sweep of an inch BEFORE closing the gripper.

I think Oldguy is on to Ironmind's marketing ploy.

It works for them in two ways.  People want easy #x's and then others want hard #x's. 

So why in the world would Ironmind want to standardize and engineer the crap out of a gripper that would then be the same as every other gripper with the same number. 

Gripper variance = Gripper sales = More money for Ironmind.

No crazy conspriracy, just great market research or dumb luck that we are insane enough to own more than one gripper of a certain # rating. 

Really.  How many of us after knowing that there are different strength's of grippers last that long before getting a duplicate of a certain gripper #? 

my 2 cents that is left over from all my gripper purchases.

T

I respect your opinion, however, my father -in-law is in the steel business. He has repeatedly told me the steel is very expensive right now. So my speculation is that the possible reason for differences is simply another manufacture came in with a lower bid, or Ironmind's has another supplier of the raw steel. I'm definitely not a genius when it comes to sales or marketing , but a PURPOSEFULLY varied implement would mean (to me) less quality, which in turn means less sales. Think about it, would any other product, lets say anitbotics, where the actual amount was purposely off by 20% or more ever be reccomended by anyone? Or what if eveytime you go tin your car and it started 80% of the time , then the manufacture decides to change that to only 65% of the time, does that make you want to go out and buy a new car from that same manufacture, just to see if you get the same results? No offense to anyone, but come on guys there just grippers. Simple as that.

I respect your opinion, however, my father -in-law is in the steel business.  He has repeatedly told me the steel is very expensive right now.

darn China becoming an industrial power :dry

opnsysme - you are right they are just grippers, but remember what board you are on. Where else in the world does just about everyone around knows who Joe Kinney is or has a really wierd reason to borrow your credit card?

Intentional variance is not necessarily a product flaw. Cars yes. Antibiotics yes. Grippers no. Does Ironmind care that much that there grippers are within ±1 pound of force/torque/whatever to close, doubt it. My point was that those who own more than one gripper of the same number probably like it that they are a little different. Why would someone want 3 of the EXACT same gripper. One is enough for that. Granted a large portion of Ironminds sales are not generated by this but it doesn't hurt them. Besides this, who do you know that tries 7 different Trainers before buying one. None. Most say, "Man that is harder than any gripper that I have ever tried." They then buy one, then maybe the #1, then a #2, not because they have researched Ironmind and are impressed by their product consistancy, but by the product. I am just saying that human curiosity sometimes plays to the advantage of a manufacturer of certain products. That is what I was thinking. Maybe I am just too curious for my own good.

I have:

easy trainer

harder trainer

easy #1

harder #1

easy #2

filed #2

easy #3

medium #3

filed #3

Now see I did have two #4's but I am not that curious just yet, so I passed that one on to someone else who I am quite sure that has more than one #4.

Just some thoughts.

T

T Sands,

You once again have a very valid point. In regards to a "niche" product or group then I could see a variance as being a prompt to buy another. Similiarly seen in colectable coins and such. I do realize that we are on the gripboard, I sometimes think people get a little carried away about Ironmind. They really are not the evil empire sometimes made to be. In fact other than Warren Tetting (which used to build for IM) where or who else would have been such a big influence on this board and its members? If I recall correctly Wannagrip's whole reason for KTA was to close the #3 an IM product, we now see others joining the boat. I feel like the first born child, IM has its mistakes, but what do expect from the 1st ? Anyway I have no duplicates, though I have tried other grippers of the same ranking. I usually find a slight variance but i.e 10-20 pounds maybe more, but I guess in the world of grippers thats a lot when the due notarity is only achieved when you close X gripper. By the way I have :

Single stamped #1

Single stamped #2

2003 #2

2003 #3

2004 GM

2004 #4

2005 HG300

borrowed Elite

ISG