The Little Big Horn

Sybersnott

I have far too many grip toys.  :p   :p   :p

Which goes to figure, I'm thinking of getting many more!!  :D

The next one on my agenda is the Little Big Horn - the "handful of anvil" sold by IronMind.

Does anyone have this... and if so, what do you think about it?  Is it worth it?  I have a regular anvil (50 lbs.), but no way to add weights to it.  The Little Big Horn solves that problem.  BTW, would anyone happen to know what a good lift on this device would be?  Thanks for any/all comments.  :)

snott-

I have a 100+ pound anvil.  Not sure of exact weight because I only have a bathroom scale to weigh it on.  I cant get it off the ground, yet...I would guess that any thing over 100 pounds would be impressive-but, then again, I am a gripper "newbie" so I might be impressed too easily :D

Good luck!

Rick Walker :hehe

Snott, I have a 54 lb anvil from Harbor Freight that I add weights to by hanging them from a strap through the hole in the back of the anvil. Horn lifting or even pinching across the face is possible with the weights there (you have to adjust your hand to pinch it, but the horn lift is unchanged). If yours has the hole (I have never seen an anvil that didn't) you could do the same. I believe it was Joe Roark that said his anvil actually had a pipe welded to it for adding plates, that is an even better idea.

On the Little Big Horn (I have one) I would think that a "good lift" would start at about 150 lbs or maybe more in the standard position. I have never turned it upside down, didn't see the point. I like my LBH, but I have only used it a couple of times because I chose to specialize in pinching around the time I got it. It is very well made, with a nice slick finish on it. It is designed more like the horn on a heavier anvil than my 54 lb'er, because the HF anvil is way fat and short on the horn. This is a little more long and slender, it reminds me of the anvils Richard Sorin is shown lifting by the horns on his website.

Hope something in there helps.

During Brian Harveys( A CoC and has done #3 with both hands) visit yesterday we were moved to "dust off a few of the gauntlet items. The anvils got a good going over...Brian was kinda new to the "feel" but I managed a good 170, 196 cleared a few inches a time or two and 149 was deadlifted swung and held for a while...I counted for a while and quit, Brian said it looked as if I could have gone at least two minutes with it. Well, I better creep back to my rockin' chair!My secret dream is to see the man who at this time I consider to be the BEST there is lift all my Grip gauntlet items in a row! I think he (David Horne) could do it!

Guest woody36

Richard,

A question if i may? Do you yourself think you've

gotten better with age?are you stronger now than in your

youth.Do you train with the same intensity and passion

and strive to break former personal bests,because i don't

prescribe to this past your prime theory,as the anvil lifts

show.

ps:Can i say on behalf of all of us,it's great to see you

posting again.

Best Regards

Ray.

My strength (esp my grip) has always been a gift. I have lifted "hard" for over 40 years without a stop for much of anything. I feel I have lifted "smart" for about a third of that. My best lifts(I have matured slowly) were at age 41 to around 48. The "will" is always there but no matter what...... time does a number on us all and recovery and healing if injured is much slower.I am content in my personal best lifts and now feel most happy coaching the younger guys and gals so they can feel the joy strength gives.I guess my focus has changed a bit...but that is life and I am happy with it.

Guest 115-1005574997

Richard

I have to concure with woody thats its apreciated by us 'newbies' when you share your knowledge and experiences and I cant wait to see David's interview with you in the next issue of Iron Grip Magazine! :)

Apologies for sounding so ignorant but what exactly are the Grip gauntlet items?

The Grip Gauntlet....My own testing assortment of recent best attempts.They consist of: #3 gripper,Built to scale Dinnie stones(413 and 321 lbs),wide (4 inch) 100lb anvil pinch grip,196 lb anvil lift by horn,Vertical practice bomb lift by nose 102lb,2 inch dumbell deadlift 234lbs,181lb deadlift on PDA 3 inch handle dumbell,Lift inch Dumbell 173lb, 3 inch thick pinch grip block of steel 85lb,and to round out the day the Original 50 lb end of a broken York solid 100 lb. dumbell the infamous "blob". If you have anything left after that you can also try the Phantom 4.....................

Guest 115-1005574997

Wow Richard, thats one #### of a challenge and im not sure anyone current could do all 10 lifts in a day.... Dave, recon you could?  ???

Those wide pinch challenges (is the 4" wide anvil lift 1 handed or two handed?) are awsome and way different to 2" pinching (width of 2x10kg plates).  That 196lb anvil is big!  Are there many people in the world that can get it more than a few inches off the floor Richard?

There are some very strong young men training in the UK at the moment so if no one can run the gauntlet just yet, im sure it will be done some day soon :)

Scott,

Well since I've lifted the Dinnie Stones and closed a few different #3's, there is a good chance that I could do these two. I'm also pretty positive that I would deadlift the Inch bell. As for the others and especially the thick pinches I'm not sure.

David

Richard,

To ANYONE who can run the "gauntlet".... what is the PRIZE at the end?  How about "The Sorin Cup"?.... something the size of Lord Stanley's trophy - the Holy Grail of Gripdom!!!    :D  :D

Hmmmmmmmmm. Even though the  Grip Gauntlet consists of recent bests by  an elderly grip guy past his prime. I think a prize of 500.00 , and the joy of becoming an instant grip "legend" would stir the pulse of many a dedicated gripster. The rules will be simple , all objects weighed and measured,adequate witnesses will be present and pictures will be taken. WELL..................................................................?

Nathan, Wade Gillingham has also lifted the 50 lb BLOB. Somewhere he said he had cleaned it to his shoulder as well with one hand, I don't remember where I read that. Here is a link to him pinching it (2 different pictures, one right and one left. Notice the finger position in the right hand lift) http://www.jackalsgym.com/gallery/wadegrip.htm.

Good prize choice Richard, though I think your money is pretty safe. Even more so if you keep adding to the gauntlet when you complete new grip PRs.

Whew! Wade has been doing some quality training! The blob is real tough and I know "personally" the blob he is lifting(I sent it to his friend Scott Safe) several years ago.I think buy studying the pictures and knowing the overall power and integrity of the man I would not be suprized if he did "run the gauntlet". After thinking about it I would place him with Mr. Horne and Brookfield as the top three grip guys today. What a show THAT would be!The grip board could start a plane ticket "kitty" to get these three grip monsters to the Gauntlet at the Sorin's lair......................

Richard,

Perhaps you could schedule an annual contest. No

doubt some of the fellows could manage some of the

gauntlet- that would be a video worth seeing!

I agree Roark.  That would be great just to see pictures let alone live.

In fact, pictures of the gauntlet items in a row would be cool for your site Richard.  With the challenge posted as well.

Richard,

The contest sounds great fun. Would have to do some SERIOUS training for that! Financialy it's always a problem, getting time off work, and flights, etc. Plus I'm already travelling to the Czech republic for the European armwrestling champs, and St. Louis for the Worlds. How close are you to St. Louis? By the way, my money would be on John B.

David

St. Louis is a long way. But hey.Maybe next year at the Arnolds classic or World arm wrestling match I could provide The Gauntlet for an open side challenge.......Might get more people interested and "kick the contest up a notch" Hey guys spread the idea and it just might happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still like the "prize trophy" idea.  A gigantic silver trophy cup named after Richard.  Money comes and goes.  I like all the ideas kicking around about this.  Yes, make it an annual event - even if it has to be a "sideshow" to a much larger event.   :)  :)

By the way everyone, Harbor Freight is having a 1/2 price sale on their 55 lb anvils got mine for $24 ! Wish I would 've known about this company before I ordered my 70 lb anvil a while back! It cost twice as much as advertised price after postage was included! Harbor freight has stores all over the U.S. so click on stores in link! As for overseas I don't know!! Click on hand tools,go from there!

Later!

Anvils-Harbor Freight Tools